VCU over the Bills by 17

The Wiz

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big props to the Bills. Played a great game and almost pulled it out. I like what I saw. Yarborough is a beast. What up with him hitting almost all his FT's? Tre is gold. Man, we couldn't put it in the ocean tonight, but strangely enough, we hit FT's. Very weird. Awesome exciting game to watch and your arena was jacked! 9600 show up for a 9-9 team. Awesome fans. Good luck. I stand corrected. Your team is really going to be good next year. To be feared. Thankful our 3 game road-trip is over and back to the Stu.

Cheers...you could do damage in the tournament.

Big props to the Bills. Played a great game and almost pulled it out. I like what I saw. Yarborough is a beast. What up with him hitting almost all his FT's? Tre is gold. Man, we couldn't put it in the ocean tonight, but strangely enough, we hit FT's. Very weird. Awesome exciting game to watch and your arena was jacked! 9600 show up for a 9-9 team. Awesome fans. Good luck. I stand corrected. Your team is really going to be good next year. To be feared. Thankful our 3 game road-trip is over and back to the Stu.

Cheers...you could do damage in the tournament.

Mudkat you are a class act yourself. See you at the next round on the board!

Mudkat you are a class act yourself. See you at the next round on the board!

Thanks. There is the return game at the Stu...Hope we show up for that one. We'd better show up Tuesday vs GW or the dreaded "loss at the Stu" could happen. I think we show up. We need Doug Brooks back. He's the only guy we could have put on McBroom after Bri got his 3rd. Doug can do some on-ball defending. And, he rains the 3 very nicely now that he's been tamed. Realized how much of our D he is tonight while your guards were carving inside repeatedly. Looked like he was jumping around on the bench, so he should be back soon.

Very nice game, very very nice effort by our team who showed real improvement is happening. We could have beat VCU which none of us really expected to happen. Regardless, I think our kids learned lots from this game. Did you see Bartley's face when VCU stole the ball from his hands? he will not forget that one and this will make him better.

Nice posts Mudkat, you can be a gentleman and we should treat you as such.

Troll patrol alert....Warning this thread may trigger a troll attack.

For those wanting to see the Dayton post game analysis...check the "Dayton over the Bills" thread ...post #20... for the game report card. As we pretty much did what we were supposed to do, we remain at D-.

Now onto this game...Let's see... VCU beat Duq by 6 and we beat Duq by 9 so we should beat VCU by 3....Well even though it doesn't work that way, it does show that VCU is vulnerable.

VCU (A) is not an elite team ( A+ )...they have lost to an A- team (Old Dominion) and been blown out by 2 elite teams (Va & Nova). They are rated 17th in the nation and have won 10 in a row. I would place them in a similar category to Wichita St and Davidson....so we will not see anything more difficult than we have already faced. But we will see something different...at least for this year. While they press and go after the steal (3rd in the nation) they are not that good on D....ie defending shots . There main focus is to run and gun.

So here is how we can beat them........

Ideal outcome....

Defense......

Limit them to 65pts

FG....42.8%

3 pt....32%

3pt made...limit to 7

TO....13 or more

Assists 12 or less

Johnson...12pts or less

Alie-Cox........4 reb " "

Weber.....3 assists " "

Offense.....

At least 67pts

FG....45%

3pt ....35%

FT......68%

TO's....10 or less

Bartley....no foul out (3 times this season)

VCU strengths...Steals and fast breaks....

VCU weakness...They don't take care of the ball...all the emphasis is on steals....no one talks about how they are one of the worst in protecting the ball as they are 21st in the nation in TO's.

Bottomline... We need to play Billiken ball....slow the tempo down and play D...bother them ...press them some ...go for the steal...no open shots. We need to have a decent night shooting and make some foul shots. If we play our game they can be beaten...if we play their game, we lose.

VCU is a good team but they are vulnerable.

Go Bills

Very nice game....the upward trend that started with the SIU-E game continues.....

So let's see how we did.........

........................................... Projected....................Actual

Defense

FG%........................................42.8%.......................36.7%............pass

3pt%.........................................32..............................30.4%..........pass

Pts.............................................65..............................63................pass

3pts made..................................7................................7..................pass

TO's by VCU..............................13..............................11................fail....but still good

Assists........................................12..............................11................pass

Johnson......................................12pts..........................4pts............pass+

Cox...............................................4 reb..........................6 reb..........fail

Weber...........................................3 assists.....................1................pass+

Overall defense...........A

Ofeense

FG%...............................................45%.........................43.8%............fail.....but close

3pt%................................................35%.........................23.1%............fail+

FT%.................................................68%.........................69.6%............pass

Pts....................................................67.............................61.................fail

TO.....................................................10............................14.................fail

Bartley................................................4 fouls.......................2.................pass

Overall offense C+....Had we made 1 more 3 we would have passed the first 2 categories and got an A-....AND won the game....that's how close we were.....one 3 away

Bottomline...6 freshman making up one of the youngest and most inexperienced teams in the nation played a veteran and experienced team that was ranked 16th in the nation..... EVEN......STL ( D- ) = VCU ( A ).......we will continue to trend up (but not always in a straight line)...the future looks bright.

maybe we could do something special in the a10 tourney. Last year we lost to the fn Bonnies

Play like you played last night and no one is safe in the A10 tourney. All those young guys and very few turnovers. Bri only got 2 steals. Both teams played some really solid HC D. We're seeing big improvement in ours in the last 10 games. It was our biggest weakness for sure. What I'm still trying to figure out on our side is why we didn't go down low more and seemed to settle for jumpers.

It's a shame that the refs made this an ugly game for both teams. 42 fouls called. Can we get a call out for some B10 or SEC refs. It wasn't even a rough game that needed to be brought back into control. Geez, I was doing the ????? on both team's foul calls. I really think both teams shoot much better and play better with a good game flow.

Both benches getting warned too. I thought we might lose for putting a hand 6 inches over the line on an inbound and pick up a T. Very surprised neither of the coaches got T'd up. Both deserved it at least once.

Onward. See you at the Stu. Good luck. Back up that Yarborough truck and win games!

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the rematch. Not been a good couple of weeks for either of our teams. We finally got Tre back yesterday to very good effect and gave those Foggy Bottom guys a good spanking. Looking for another solid win Tuesday, but our guys need to stick with the program.

The way we've been playing of late (losing to the Ticks and LaSalle at home) has been pretty frustrating to all of us, but the young guys have to learn somehow.

Bring your heavy coats. Looks like Greenland South down here. Cheers to all here!! :D

Oh btw...I trust you and your friends will behave going forth . If not, I will have to conjure up "The Curse". This is when things are going good for a team and then all of a sudden in some mysterious and magical way things fall apart....losing to a team you shouldn't, shooting turns cold, injuries, the ball bounces the other way, etc. Now you and your friends wouldn't want to be responsible for that, would you?

So things haven't gone real well for the Rams since our last meeting at the Fetz. No surprise here....I give you the last paragraph of post #51 of this thread....The Curse..... I tried to warn you and your cronies but you didn't listen.

Bottomline....Don't mess with The Bills or The Wiz.

So things haven't gone real well for the Rams since our last meeting at the Fetz. No surprise here....I give you the last paragraph of post #51 of this thread....The Curse..... I tried to warn you and your cronies but you didn't listen.

Bottomline....Don't mess with The Bills or The Wiz.

Believe me, we are not taking anyone lightly now. Every game is a potential loss (as is any game...that's why they play the games). Our kids did get the baptism of fire and we're better off as a result. Having Tre back as a calming influence makes the development that the kids had to get even more important. He totally opened the O against Foggy Bottom last night and didn't need to score 20. With Tre come better shots from everyone else.

There's no such thing as a curse, I like to call it "ish happens". Whatever happens is gonna happen regardless. VCU is better for it because they have young talent and a great coach who knows how to get them good minutes. So whatever happens after VCU destroys SLU Tuesday, happens.

There's no such thing as a curse, I like to call it "ish happens". Whatever happens is gonna happen regardless. VCU is better for it because they have young talent and a great coach who knows how to get them good minutes. So whatever happens after VCU destroys SLU Tuesday, happens.

No such thing as curses??....lol...Are you sure? Cub fans said the same thing....107 years ago.. and are still waiting.

You guys were rolling and were 16-3....After the Bills game, you have been beset by injuries and a 3-3 record. If I were you, I would go back to your cronies and tell them you are personally responsible for the curse that has befallen VCU . If you don't mend your ways , it could be a disappointing finish for the Rams.

What would possess someone to come talk to another teams board, especially one who is 17 (Have to think Vegas will be around there) point dogs

What would possess someone to come talk to another teams board, especially one who is 17 (Have to think Vegas will be around there) point dogs

I like you guys. That's why. This is a very good board and after I and everyone else chilled out, we all got some respect going.