Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

That's pretty naive or stupid.  Take your pick.  On one hand you have a socially shy teenager who has proven he doesn't like the limelight and on the other hand a longtime D1 college coach who specialty is chasing and recruiting.   Yet you seem to think it is no big deal for this young man to stand up to this flim flam man.   

Surely even you don't believe that.   I don't know why you are here.  You definitely aren't a Billiken fan.  Same with "coach area code".  

It's hard to say no if you're really interested in this school. If UMSL offers one of these 4-5 star kids a scholarship, they are going to say no without batting an eye and probably block the number if the coach keeps calling. YOU CANNOT RECRUIT A KID THAT DOES NOT WANT TO BE RECRUITED.  

I will now throw in hopefully idle incorrect gossip I heard a month ago; a lifelong residence of W G, or 1 1/2 blocks into Shrewsbury for last few decades played for W G's late 60s early 70s said this when I asked if he wanted to go to go see the kids play on Selma sometime; "I've been told by folks connected to the team that Gordon was a piece of work and no way would he be able to qualify academically". That's watered down paraphrase. Can't say any of this is good news but we got to hope. If MU gets both those 2 guys, that's a lot of talent on 1 team. Probably most on one roster in the state since Easy Ed days.

17 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

It's hard to say no if you're really interested in this school. If UMSL offers one of these 4-5 star kids a scholarship, they are going to say no without batting an eye and probably block the number if the coach keeps calling. YOU CANNOT RECRUIT A KID THAT DOES NOT WANT TO BE RECRUITED.  

I just got a new phone, but with my old phone, I just had to turn it off,” Gordon says. “Somebody will take it from me and say I need a break from it and I just have to come back to it later.”

Yep nothing about that seems wrong for these coaches to be doing to a high school kid. Then he announces where he is going to try and stop that and a guy like Martin won't listen. 

http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/high-school/carteare-gordon-next-big-deal-st-louis/#U5tTAYySko2mCOEj.99

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

Hey if you're just a local fan that follows the local kids, why do you just post on this website and not Tigerboard?

I said i don't post on Tigerboard.  Never even viewed it.  I do post on other forums.  As i have stated many times on this forum i know a lot of the kids in the in the 2017 class here locally.  They were being mentioned in here and it was a good way to get insight from @Pistol and others as to how the University viewed them in regards to the recruiting process.  I gave a scenario last high school season about Gordon (Mizzou) that people didn't like but that was what i was hearing at the time. Now i am apparently a holier than thou Mizzou lover ?.  It's all good tho.  Still looking forward to the college basketball season for both SLU and Mizzou.

3 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I just got a new phone, but with my old phone, I just had to turn it off,” Gordon says. “Somebody will take it from me and say I need a break from it and I just have to come back to it later.”

Yep nothing about that seems wrong for these coaches to be doing to a high school kid. Then he announces where he is going to try and stop that and a guy like Martin won't listen. 

http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/high-school/carteare-gordon-next-big-deal-st-louis/#U5tTAYySko2mCOEj.99

I read an article where Martin said he would inquire about a kid that has verbally committed to a school with the kid's high school coach.  Now are we taking that statement and running with it or has he been illegally recruiting Gordon with calls and texts? Just curious

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I read an article where Martin said he would inquire about a kid that has verbally committed to a school with the kid's high school coach.  Now are we taking that statement and running with it or has he been illegally recruiting Gordon with calls and texts? Just curious

Wouldn't be illegal until he signed. As STL hoops insider has been saying, he is for talking to kid that has verbally committed. 

8 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I said i don't post on Tigerboard.  Never even viewed it.  I do post on other forums.  As i have stated many times on this forum i know a lot of the kids in the in the 2017 class here locally.  They were being mentioned in here and it was a good way to get insight from @Pistol and others as to how the University viewed them in regards to the recruiting process.  I gave a scenario last high school season about Gordon (Mizzou) that people didn't like but that was what i was hearing at the time. Now i am apparently a holier than thou Mizzou lover ?.  It's all good tho.  Still looking forward to the college basketball season for both SLU and Mizzou.

So you know kids from the 2017 class (Gordon is 2018),  but only felt the need to give your scenarios and hypotheticals on this board? Even though they involved Mizzou? Interesting. But you're just a local basketball "coach". Got it. 

I'm not someone who's going to get mad at Gordon if he goes to Mizzou (he's a kid who needs to do what is best for him) but I for sure will make fun of you and all of the Martin fanboys who are coming out of the woods. 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

So you know kids from the 2017 class (Gordon is 2018),  but only felt the need to give your scenarios and hypotheticals on this board? Even though they involved Mizzou? Interesting. But you're just a local basketball "coach". Got it. 

I'm not someone who's going to get mad at Gordon if he goes to Mizzou (he's a kid who needs to do what is best for him) but I for sure will make fun of you and all of the Martin fanboys who are coming out of the woods. 

now thats funny!

22 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Nope, nothing wrong athlete or not, these kids live on their phones. No harm done. And he was undecided at that time.

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Lol i didn't know i was being interviewed. Sorry i didn't mention Gordon.  I know him.  I know Ramey as well as Watson.  I spoke of Mizzou because that is what i heard last year.  Why would i mention any other school?  Gordon wasn't a topic on the other board i frequent so there is no reason to bring him up there.  Several other people have mentioned Gordon to Mizzou as well.  I don't know if he will change his mind and go to Mizzou.  As i have stated things have changed since i threw that scenario out.  

22 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

So you came to a college basketball message board in the hopes of seeing how a university feels about kids its recruiting? @Pistol doesn't even live in STL.  

If that is true it is a huge mistake on your part.  If you truly have kids best interests at heart this or any other message board is the worst place for information.  This is for fans, not coaches, recruits, or parents.

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Hey look another Mizzou fan. How's Norfolk St. this time of year? 

LOL.  Im a SLU alum, have always been SLU donor and supporter and been going to games since back in the day at Kiel Auditorium.   Used to play pick up back in the day with Dobbs and Starks.  Just found it interesting all your posts followed by that comment.  

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

So you came to a college basketball message board in the hopes of seeing how a university feels about kids its recruiting? @Pistol doesn't even live in STL.  

If that is true it is a huge mistake on your part.  If you truly have kids best interests at heart this or any other message board is the worst place for information.  This is for fans, not coaches, recruits, or parents.

Lol thank you for helping us stay on topic.  

4 minutes ago, oldboystl said:

LOL.  Im a SLU alum, have always been SLU donor and supporter and been going to games since back in the day at Kiel Auditorium.   Used to play pick up back in the day with Dobbs and Starks.  Just found it interesting all your posts followed by that comment.  

Maybe I forgot --- have I said anything bad about Gordon?

17 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Nope, nothing wrong athlete or not, these kids live on their phones. No harm done. And he was undecided at that time.

Kids live on their phones to talk to friends and kids their age.  Not to talk to old men all the time.  Some kids like the recruiting process and can handle it, some can't.  To me a kid making a verbal commit is him saying to other coaches, stop talking to me.  You are basically saying these kids have to block a coaches number to get them to stop texting them all the time until they sign?  Come on, that is totally and completely wrong.  It is not breaking rules but to act like that isn't wrong when all you could be doing is stressing out these kids more than they want is wrong.  

If coach Martin signs Watson and Gordon then that is a pattern with 3 recent recruits and shame on coach Martin.

Getting back on topic what is the biggest need if Thatch and Gordon stay committed and who would that be?

1 hour ago, almaman said:

I will now throw in hopefully idle incorrect gossip I heard a month ago; a lifelong residence of W G, or 1 1/2 blocks into Shrewsbury for last few decades played for W G's late 60s early 70s said this when I asked if he wanted to go to go see the kids play on Selma sometime; "I've been told by folks connected to the team that Gordon was a piece of work and no way would he be able to qualify academically". That's watered down paraphrase. Can't say any of this is good news but we got to hope. If MU gets both those 2 guys, that's a lot of talent on 1 team. Probably most on one roster in the state since Easy Ed days.

Gordon can be a handful.  I thought he was getting better in the classroom tho. I hope so