Billikens are still in the Wolfpack's head

thetorch

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/schramm-duke-n-c-state-are-hungry-after-bitter-endings/article_f132304e-fecc-5058-bd96-5d8a7742a0c4.html

N.C. State hasn't let its loss drift too far away.

The 12th-seeded Wolfpack lost to the fifth-seeded Billikens 83-80 in overtime. The result was made worse by the fact that N.C. State led by 16 points with about eight minutes left, and led by 11 with just over three minutes left.

"We were up the whole game, everybody thought we had the game," Wolfpack forward Lennard Freeman said. "We just didn't finish strong."

In the final three minutes of regulation, as the Billikens closed the gap, N.C. State missed 11 free throws.

That fact, more than any other, has weighed on the Wolfpack's veterans.

"Whenever we're in practice and someone will miss (a free throw), in our group, we'll say 'Saint Louis, Saint Louis,'" Freeman said. "That will always bring out the best because free throws were the difference between us going home in the first round or playing in the second round."

I'm pretty sure that this game is still on my DVR. Therefore, when I get home I will record it and upload it to Youtube. Then post the link here.

I know what I'm watching tonight.

Thanks, I'm glad to help! Sorry, I am being lazy and not trimming my clips but I figure no one would mind rewatching ten seconds here or there verus me spending hours editing it out.

With that said, right now I'm finished with recording and am in the stage of merging all the clips into one video. I did it that way so ya'll can avoid the commercial breaks or avoid jumping to like 23 different videos. The only downside is some times I messed up and restarted the recording or once my dvr cut off and I had to restart the game and lost my place. But with that all said I still managed to covered the first few minutes (Loe hitting 2 three's to start the game), the last 11 of regular play and then all of overtime. Along with the post game conference with JJ and Crews.

ETA: should be around two hours till it's watchable on youtube. The clip is around an hour long.

Much was made of NC State's bad free throw shooting, but ours was also brutal. We were 3-12 heading into the final couple minutes of the game. If we shoot a decent percentage, we don't have to fight back from such a big deficit. The neat thing about the comeback is that a lot of different guys had some big moments - Jake and Grandy. That's why I am amused when some of board's doom and gloom types say that guys like Jake and Grandy never contributed to the team's success. I wonder if some people even watch the games.

It's amazing we pulled that off after being so horribly inefficient on O down the stretch. Just chipped away

So many moments even throughout the comeback where it looked like it was over. Down 8 with 2:45 left, Dwayne misses a layup and NC State gets the rebound. Down 7, two minutes to go, McCall misses a three, NC State grabs rebound, Dwayne fouls out.

Oh man, we are going to miss Loe...

But look at the overtime players. Lancona, McBroom and Manning for long stretches.

I would wager my mortgage that we are not going to finish 10th in conference this year.

I had the same thought while watching the last few minutes of that game.

I had the same thought while watching the last few minutes of that game.

We have been spoiled having bigs like Loe and Ellis who have allowed us to spread the floor, that's why Lancona will be a key player.

I always felt Loe was under appreciated. There just aren't that many skilled bigs in college basketball. Look at that big dope who was playing center for NC State - a program from the mighty ACC. Rob even held his own against Kaminsky, who was one of the better bigs in the country. He outscored him despite playing 9 fewer minutes.

;( Loe was one of my favorite billikens of the past decade. Theres big shoes to fill... but I think Crawford will be getting some AF1s of his own :)