Jimmy Barton- Walkon from DeSmet via Houston Baptist

Per Frank C tweet, he's looking to walk on at SLU. Didn't have overwhelming stats at HB, but played a fair number of minutes for an NCAA team as a FR. So, I'm thinking his resume's somewhat above your average walk on. You locals have any info on him you'd like to share with us out of town MBM'ers?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He scored 9 points against Southern Miss and 8 against Oral Roberts. He averaged 3 ppg and seemed to get regular minutes on a terrible team. I assume he was a scholarship player at Houston Baptist? I don't think he's John Redden, but safe to say we've had a lot of walk-ons who are much worse.

I can't recall us ever getting a walk on D1 transfer. Granted HBU wasn't very good, but you'd have to think with his experience he'd be more of an asset than a decent HS walkon. Also, he would provide some much needed insurance in case we get a rash of injuries.He's only 5'10", so I'm assuming he was a pg. Is that what he played at DeSmet? Right now, I don't see the downside here unless he was promised a scholie that would take away the one that we have in '15, or possibly one of our '16's. But who knows maybe he'll come in here and light it up, and we won't care if we give him a scholie. Kind of like that Butler walk on who got a full ride. You just never know where or when you're going to find you're next gem in the rough.

I can't recall us ever getting a walk on D1 transfer. Granted HBU wasn't very good, but you'd have to think with his experience he'd be more of an asset than a decent HS walkon. Also, he would provide some much needed insurance in case we get a rash of injuries.He's only 5'10", so I'm assuming he was a pg. Is that what he played at DeSmet? Right now, I don't see the downside here unless he was promised a scholie that would take away the one that we have in '15, or possibly one of our '16's. But who knows maybe he'll come in here and light it up, and we won't care if we give him a scholie. Kind of like that Butler walk on who got a full ride. You just never know where or when you're going to find you're next gem in the rough.

Cusumano also speculates that Yarbrough might make the biggest impact among the freshmen. He said Yarbrough's dad played at Illinois State when Platt was an assistant there and that was a big factor in SLU landing the kid. He also said that Berry's top three is UC-Davis, Loyola and Fla. Gulf Coast. He lamented that there was no room at SLU because all of the scholarships are accounted for.

This is really good news. Some of the people I work with watch a lot of DeSmet basketball and didn't think much of Nolan but thought a lot of Jimmy. Obviously he's a guard and those are more plentiful in general but he could definitely fill a valuable role for the team in practice and I wouldn't be shocked to seem him in meaningful game situations from time to time. Apparently he was pretty unhappy at Houston Baptist given the low level of D1 ball, being geographically isolated, etc.

Question: Does a transfer that plans to walk-on have to sit out a season?

This is really good news. Some of the people I work with watch a lot of DeSmet basketball and didn't think much of Nolan but thought a lot of Jimmy. Obviously he's a guard and those are more plentiful in general but he could definitely fill a valuable role for the team in practice and I wouldn't be shocked to seem him in meaningful game situations from time to time. Apparently he was pretty unhappy at Houston Baptist given the low level of D1 ball, being geographically isolated, etc.

My guess is yes. Cam was technically a walk on at Mizzou this past semester and wasn't eligible to play.

I'd give the nod to Porter on this one. Chicago's a whole lot closer than FL GC and UC-Davis. NB might have really f'd up by going to Butler and not signing with us originally. But then again, we would have lost either RA or TL, so I'm not complaining.

I've seen Jimmy play since he was in 6th grade and can tell you he's a really hard-worker, smart ball player (gym rat & heady guard, for sure). He also is a really good ball-handler and passer. I really expect him to benefit the scout team and, like KShoe said, perhaps get some meaningful minutes.

Cusumano also speculates that Yarbrough might make the biggest impact among the freshmen. He said Yarbrough's dad played at Illinois State when Platt was an assistant there and that was a big factor in SLU landing the kid. He also said that Berry's top three is UC-Davis, Loyola and Fla. Gulf Coast. He lamented that there was no room at SLU because all of the scholarships are accounted for.

Will yarbrough qualify? I know there were questions and I haven't seen anything definitive

I was wondering that as well. Logic would say no, since he's not coming on a scholie. Wouldn't it be like, he's just transferring to another school w/o a scholie? Also, I think someone said Beidscheid could have played the first semester at Mizzery if he paid his own way. Of course, it's been a long time since the NCAA made any logical decision or rule.

I was wondering that as well. Logic would say no, since he's not coming on a scholie. Wouldn't it be like, he's just transferring to another school w/o a scholie? Also, I think someone said Beidscheid could have played the first semester at Mizzery if he paid his own way. Of course, it's been a long time since the NCAA made any logical decision or rule.

Biedscheid did pay his own way, if I'm not mistaken.

Fairly certain you need to sit out a year.

I've seen Jimmy play since he was in 6th grade and can tell you he's a really hard-worker, smart ball player (gym rat & heady guard, for sure). He also is a really good ball-handler and passer. I really expect him to benefit the scout team and, like KShoe said, perhaps get some meaningful minutes.

Not that it matters, but from the code words used in your description, I assume he is caucasian?

Brian, if you're not covered by an NCAA athletic scholie, why would a player be subject to the transfer rules? I'm guessing Cam signed a scholie at Mizzery even though he may have had to pay for that one semester but was still considered a scholarship player. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Bottom line: I don't know the answer, but it would seem he'd be treated the same as any transfer student as long as he's not granted a scholarship and gave up his HBU scholarship.

I know nothing about the kid, but it's just hard to believe that a guy who scored 3 ppg at Houston Baptist is going to play meaningful minutes here on a team that loaded up their backcourt with scholarships this season.

Brian, if you're not covered by an NCAA athletic scholie, why would a player be subject to the transfer rules? I'm guessing Cam signed a scholie at Mizzery even though he may have had to pay for that one semester but was still considered a scholarship player. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Bottom line: I don't know the answer, but it would seem he'd be treated the same as any transfer student as long as he's not granted a scholarship and gave up his HBU scholarship.

Cam didn't sign a scholie. Transfers don't sign a letter of intent. They sign a financial aid agreement if there is a scholarship available. Cam hasn't signed one yet because there is presently no scholarships available at Mizzou. There will be one available at the end of the semester.

Because that would open the door to a lot of questionable activities that the NCAA doesn't want to happen. He would have to sit out a year. Not a huge deal, though.

I know nothing about the kid, but it's just hard to believe that a guy who scored 3 ppg at Houston Baptist is going to play meaningful minutes here on a team that loaded up their backcourt with scholarships this season.

Did anyone say that?

Because that would open the door to a lot of questionable activities that the NCAA doesn't want to happen. He would have to sit out a year. Not a huge deal, though.

Makes sense too. Still, he should be a good practice player while he hones his skills further. I still think it's a good move.

Did anyone say that?

I guess no one said he would play meaningful minutes but you guys both said you could see him maybe getting meaningful minutes so I questioned the comment.

Didn't realize there was a problem with that.

I guess no one said he would play meaningful minutes but you guys both said you could see him maybe getting meaningful minutes so I questioned the comment.

Didn't realize there was a problem with that.

To clarify, and I admit its subtle, but I said meaningful game situations. Meaning, his only minutes aren't just mop up time but could include 3-5 minutes in the first half.

I would be quite surprised if he ever averaged over 10 minutes a game, which is my imaginary line for when a player gets into being a material contributor to the on court team.