OT: Mitch McGary Declaring for NBA

kshoe

but not for the reasons most would assume. I certainly feel like the kid got a raw deal from the NCAA on this one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcgary-heading-to-nba-after-positive-marijuana-test-nets-him-shocking-year-long-ncaa-ban-073833742.html

why is the NCAA giving a white guy such a harsh punishment for weed??? good luck to him.

Gottlieb just tweeted that the NCAA considers weed and heroin to be worthy of the same suspension.

I have no sympathy for McGary. What he did was selfish and he not only harmed himself, but he risked the lives of his t.........

Wait, what? He just smoked a J? A year suspension is ridiculous.

-while he was smoking it was illegal, he dodged that legal bullet

-as a Michigan student-athlete he risked penalty from Michigan and during the tourney from the NCAA

-he knew some of the consequences or at least the article makes it seem like he at least knew what Michigan's penalty would be

-his entire team was drug tested after the Big10 tourney, so not like drug testing was a new phenomenon

-he took a chance and got caught

-not sure how he doesn't 'have a voice', the story is all over the net with him being quoted, if this or similar happened to me I doubt Yahoo or any other media outlet is going to interview me

-if you don't like the rule don't play the game or get the rule changed

The rule was changed to a 6-month suspension after this, effective Aug 1, but they still told him since this occurred before they made the change, to get lost. Also under the old rule (not sure if they changed this aspect) the 1-year penalty would have been the exact same had he tested positive for heroine. Heroine and weed.. Yea, sounds logical.

He probably didn't think he would be getting tested, as he had not played all season, but did so because Bielin suited him up for their S16 as a "moral booster" tactic. He had passed 8 previous tests.