OT: Calipari on O'Reilly

slu72

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MoyToy is not a honky he's a frou frou punk living in upscale OK somewhere. Let me know how that guvment healthcare on the Res is working? Anyway, MB the cracker that he is is right about the VA. They are terrible and for the most part the organization is filled with lazy government employees. I won't call them workers because they don't work.

Anyway as for O'Reilly this wasn't a political interview it was a book tour. He's not jumping all over a Basketball Coach I don't think he's a basketball fan. F' it we'll do it live.

Freak Out about the 1:00 mark

MoyToy is not a honky he's a frou frou punk living in upscale OK somewhere. Let me know how that guvment healthcare on the Res is working? Anyway, MB the cracker that he is right about the VA. They are terrible and for the most part the organization is filled with lazy government employees. I won't call them workers because they don't work.

Anyway as for O'Reilly this wasn't a political interview it was a book tour. He's not jumping all over a Basketball Coach I don't think he's a basketball fan. F' it we'll do it live.

Freak Out about the 1:00 mark

A_BomB: "MB...... is right".

WOW.

I might retire from this site.

But, then, who would lead?

Who would help so many of these green, idealistic, naïve, under informed, misinformed fellow Billikens understand the world around them?

I cannot let them fail so miserably. They need the truth.

So, I will stay for awhile.

A_BomB: "MB...... is right".

WOW.

I might retire from this site.

But, then, who would lead?

Who would help so many of these green, idealistic, naïve, under informed, misinformed fellow Billikens understand the world around them?

I cannot let them fail so miserably. They need the truth.

So, I will stay for awhile.

MB I'm with you man. I'm tired of all these Beta Males. To put it in rap terms I'll pimp slap them all.

• 1 month later...

I have 30+ years in healthcare, 20 at the VP and/or GM level, know major CEO's in many large well known hospital systems, Medical Directors, Pharmacy VP's, department heads, group purchasing organizations, reimbursement experts, PBM VP's, insurance company VP's, etc.

I'd mop the floor with Henry.

If you want 100% government healthcare, doctors, nurses, equipment, reimbursement management, everything? Visit a few VA hospitals, walk around, tell me what you think. Good taste, ethics prohibit me from saying anything further about the VA's.

The overall US healthcare system has problems but is still vastly superior to all, though it is now being fundamentally transformed, headed for failure, is already in a deep death spiral. Have fun.

Update.

Read this thread again.

Henry, moytoyboy, et al, do you still think The VA (Veteran's Health Administration) serves our veterans well?

Henry, moytoyboy, et al, do you still think The VA (Veteran's Health Administration) serves our veterans well?

I do:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankrumholz/2014/05/23/3-things-to-know-before-you-rush-to-judgment-about-va-health-system/

The recent (which really wasn't recent, going back to the 70's or early 80s) issues was an access problem not a quality of care article.

I do:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harlankrumholz/2014/05/23/3-things-to-know-before-you-rush-to-judgment-about-va-health-system/

The recent (which really wasn't recent, going back to the 70's or early 80s) issues was an access problem not a quality of care article.

From the article:

"The VA is full of top professionals, many of whom could earn more elsewhere, who are committed to the values of a system that is anchored in service to our nation’s Veterans."

If you believe that I have some land I'd like to sell you in North City.

I do:

When you can't get in to see a doctor, and that fact is being covered up so that the public is not aware of the situation, then it isn't an access issue-when you die it is a quality (or lack thereof) of care issue. Covering up the backlog for seeing a doctor, so you qualify for a performance bonus should be a criminal matter.

You might be somewhat right that this is a long standing problem at VA hospitals, BUT it was first turned into a political football by Obama, when he made his intent to fix this problem a campaign issue in 2008 and promised to fix the "Bush era" VA medical care problems shortly after taking office. Instead, we have the bonus-driven and fraudulent double lists-one actual one which was secret and shocking (while leading to a number of deaths) and the second one which was public and submitted through the VA chain of command so secure bonuses.

Honest question and maybe stupid.

What would be wrong with scrapping the whole VA, putting veterans into a program like Medicare except everything is paid for? They could then see regular doctors and such instead of dealing with traveling long distances to go to a VA hospital?

Or maybe that doesn't work for some reason?

What would be wrong with scrapping the whole VA, putting veterans into a program like Medicare except everything is paid for? They could then see regular doctors and such instead of dealing with traveling long distances to go to a VA hospital?

A very good question.

The VA has 3 fold mission. First foremost the care for our veterans. Second is education and third is research. Concerning education, a lot medical schools would be in deep trouble if did not have available to them the resources of the VA. It is estimated that 80% of all practicing MDs that graduated from a US medical school had at a minimum a rotation through a VA Medical Center or clinic. Not to mention all the training VA does for nursing and other allied healthcare students. Research, VA is probably the largest provider of research next to NIH. Just check copies of Journal of the American Medical Assoc (JAMA) or other reputable medical journals and you will see all the research being conducted at VAs. A lot of is life saving.These 2 missions the private sector does it, but not the extent or the commitment of resources the VA does. I believe I have heard grumblings that SLU wants to buy back the hospital from Tenet for these reasons.

But the most important thing it provides is care for our veterans. A lot of the care is unique to VA or is done on a very limited bases in the private sector. The recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan you seen needs for prosthetics, treatment for stress related disorders (PTSD), etc.. , these types care the VA does well with and doing ongoing research to constantly improve the care in these areas. Another thing the care is seamless meaning if you go in for heart surgery you get your surgery, rehab and home care provided by VA. If you go for a clinic visit your cared for not only a MD but a healthcare team. For example if your on multiple meds a phamD will sit down with you to assure no poly pharmacy. If the systems works as they should it has excellent healthcare outcomes.In addition it cost effective. VA also buys pharmaceuticals in bulk (2nd in the budget to personnel costs), which huge savings over medicare.

Bauman, you are correct. The upper level management at the hospital level lied on the performance standard. They probably did it by manipulating the data or gaming it some way. Not hard to do. They need to be fired. But its not worth throwing the baby out with the bath water. Probably over a million veterans are still receiving very good care from the VA.

IMO that would be an improvement but it would be much, much better to give them vouchers to select real private insurance. Remember, you can sue a hospital, an insurance company, a doctor, a pharmaceutical company, a nurse, a clinic, etcetera, but you cannot realistically sue the government. Do you want bureaucrats with no risk making decisions on healthcare?

And, Tarheel, you are a solid poster but that article is not entirely credible. What we hear in the media right now on the matter is just the tip of the iceberg. There is much more to it than is being reported thus far.

(BIGS are the key, not guards. Our guards will be OK, fine. I worry about our BIGS stepping up next year, they are going to determine our level of success.)

I have a good friend who has done three tours in Iraq/Afghanistan. He was blown up by a roadside bomb, suffered a bad head injury, has PTSD, etc. the treatment he has received from the VA has been fairly poor. Lots of red tape, driving three hours from Peoria for sleep studies (when Peoria has the best medical care in downstate IL along with a air guard base), and lack of available emergency prescription refill on the weekend.

IMO that would be an improvement but it would be much, much better to give them vouchers to select real private insurance. Remember, you can sue a hospital, an insurance company, a doctor, a pharmaceutical company, a nurse, a clinic, etcetera, but you cannot realistically sue the government. Do you want bureaucrats with no risk making decisions on healthcare?

And, Tarheel, you are a solid poster but that article is not entirely credible. What we hear in the media right now on the matter is just the tip of the iceberg. There is much more to it than is being reported thus far.

(BIGS are the key, not guards. Our guards will be OK, fine. I worry about our BIGS stepping up next year, they are going to determine our level of success.)

Not true about suing the gov't. The VA has its share of tort claims with about 80% settled out of court. Ambulance chasing lawyers salivate when the VA is concerned. Trust me I know about this one.

JMM, sorry about your good friend. The VA does have system of Fee Base which allows veterans to seek help outside the system if the service is not available within a reasonable distance.

Judging from my many neighbors (now they are older Vietnam era vets) both in North Carolina and Georgia they like the care very much. This pretty much conforms to the independently done satisfaction surveys.

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2537