The Majerus Image

bomble

An image I made of Majerus for our DC Alumni club made the rounds on the internet over the past few days. For those who watched the game on TV last night they used it there, too.

I searched a work tool we use in media for mentions, and found out that it was on the Mike and Mike show, which is pretty special.

Now, the elephant in the room. The misspelling of Majerus's name. Totally my fault. My friend Brett Blyholder wrote the text, adapted from a tweet he saw. I just pasted it into photoshop, which doesn't have spellcheck. Editing oversight on my part. So, sorry about that, sports fans. Consider this my apology.

NBC "fixed" it for the on-air and you can tell they shopped the fix. Good for them for trying.

But I'm really happy the the image made the rounds and shared the success of the team.

-- Swift

very nice, I saw it too.

ps: technically they did not "fix it" quite enough: for one thing, they appear to have put a space between the surname and the apostrophe; but even more egregiously, standard English has a name ending with "s" needing another "s" after the apostrophe, thus:

Majerus's

to be an even snootier grammar policeman-geek; there is some rather heated debates among grammarians about this, and in fact it may be unsolvable, so as such it illustrates the fluidity of language. Generally this monumental debate is related to the pronounceability of the pluralized word -- meaning if the name is easy to add an "s" sound to it (Jones's), then use the additional "s"; but if the word makes it very difficult to pronounce with another "s" (Illinois', or Achilles'), then avoid the final "s"... But in the oldest and most reliable style guides, the way I wrote it above is considered standard usage.

I feel pretty confident that this is the longest discussion of punctuation ever recorded at billikens.com.

and another ps: it is a striking phenemonon to see how often major networks, ads, etc., make common usage errors is spelling, mechanics, grammar, and so on. Striking (this almost never used to happen). I've basically given up on split infinitives (you have to really want it, Lebron is able to literally gly to the hoop, etc.). But it never fails to amaze me when I seen on national networks the wrong usage of our language's worst plural offender: the famous "it's" as possessive pronoun. one of my pet peeves.

and since I usually devote less than a minute to anything on here, I do not usually proofread.

Billikens.com should be proud to loudly and confidently report it's general lack of grammar purity to the world, don't you think??

very nice, I saw it too.

ps: technically they did not "fix it" quite enough: for one thing, they appear to have put a space between the surname and the apostrophe; but even more egregiously, standard English has a name ending with "s" needing another "s" after the apostrophe, thus:

Majerus's

to be an even snootier grammar policeman-geek; there is some rather heated debates among grammarians about this, and in fact it may be unsolvable, so as such it illustrates the fluidity of language. Generally this monumental debate is related to the pronounceability of the pluralized word -- meaning if the name is easy to add an "s" sound to it (Jones's), then use the additional "s"; but if the word makes it very difficult to pronounce with another "s" (Illinois', or Achilles'), then avoid the final "s"... But in the oldest and most reliable style guides, the way I wrote it above is considered standard usage.

I feel pretty confident that this is the longest discussion of punctuation ever recorded at billikens.com.

And way more than I wanted to know about punctuation.

Great work Jim, simply put. My brother in law (a ND grad, and non-SLU fan) said it gave him the chills as soon as he saw it. He saw it on mike greenberg's twitter. Some of the best press for SLU all year, via that image. That image quickly tells one of the best story lines in all of college basketball, not just this year, but in Majerus's entire coaching legacy.

An image I made of Majerus for our DC Alumni club made the rounds on the internet over the past few days. For those who watched the game on TV last night they used it there, too.

I searched a work tool we use in media for mentions, and found out that it was on the Mike and Mike show, which is pretty special.

Now, the elephant in the room. The misspelling of Majerus's name. Totally my fault. My friend Brett Blyholder wrote the text, adapted from a tweet he saw. I just pasted it into photoshop, which doesn't have spellcheck. Editing oversight on my part. So, sorry about that, sports fans. Consider this my apology.

NBC "fixed" it for the on-air and you can tell they shopped the fix. Good for them for trying.

But I'm really happy the the image made the rounds and shared the success of the team.

-- Swift

I was actually listening to mike n mike live in the radio when greeny brought up the topic and image on the show saying it gave him chills. Nice job.

-- Swift

Congrats, Bomble. Unfortunately, I couldn't rearrange my biz travel to join you and the other DC alums at the game. But I definitely saw your graphic in the NYC sports bar where I watched the game. Very proud moment for me.

In a related topic, one other thing I thought was impressive last night was that the the Bills game seemed to be the national game on the NBC Sports Network. The lead-in was the Olympics coverage. At 7pm ET it switched to the Bills/GMU game (at least in the NYC market) and was on virtually every plasma panel in the joint. I didn't even have to ask for the game to be tuned in. There was lots of discussion about the Bills throughout the game by those who already had inkling of Bills' story as well as by a whole new group of admiring fans. Everyone likes quasi-Cinderella, especially in NY. Another reason to be proud of the U.

I thought it was a brilliant piece. A buddy had sent it to me yesterday morning. It gets you a little choked up.

Thank you.

Majerus's

You are correct, sir.

Billikens.com should be proud to loudly and confidently report it's general lack of grammar purity to the world, don't you think??

I think this last sentence is either brilliant trolling or a funny error.

I was actually listening to mike n mike live in the radio when greeny brought up the topic and image on the show saying it gave him chills. Nice job.

I wish I could listen to their show more often, but I get up late and work late, so I usually sleep through it. I had to search through TVEyes.com to see where this was mentioned. I spent probably a minute and a half on the image (thus the error) and it does feel nice to hear that it meant something to people -- especially those who knew him.

In a related topic, one other thing I thought was impressive last night was that the the Bills game seemed to be the national game on the NBC Sports Network. The lead-in was the Olympics coverage. At 7pm ET it switched to the Bills/GMU game (at least in the NYC market) and was on virtually every plasma panel in the joint. I didn't even have to ask for the game to be tuned in. There was lots of discussion about the Bills throughout the game by those who already had inkling of Bills' story as well as by a whole new group of admiring fans. Everyone likes quasi-Cinderella, especially in NY. Another reason to be proud of the U.

I was actually alerted to it by one of my SLU friends now living in Miami (he took his talents there) who took a picture on his cell and tweeted it to me. I had made use of my press badge and acquired a press pass, allowing me to sit on the floor with the photogs at the Mason game. I was the ****** taking pictures with a tablet -- I was "that guy" -- but I didn't care because I got to sit courtside for a bit, AND I got taj an a10 media guide. My sister was up in NYC during the VCU game and the bar she was in carried it. Granted, it was ESPN diesel, but it is a cool feeling to go to a bar and see the Billikens on unexpectedly. I'm not a big NYC fan, but they do have White Castle, so they're OK in my book.

Sorry you weren't able to make it to DC. We try to have fun watch parties and you all are always welcome to join us. I can tell you where the cheap motels are in town that rank slightly above the Knight's Inn.

One of my (now former) Groomsmen is getting married in April. His bachelor party is the week of the A-10 tournament. I'm a good friend so I will do my best to go, as I am now one of his groomsmen, but I really was looking forward to getting press passes to the A-10 tourney.

--

Sent an email to Mike and Mike, maybe they'll follow up and we can get some more positive press for the team. The facebook image I posted -- according to FB -- was seen by 18k people. A conservative estimate with the instagram and other shares and twitter shares by the ESPN folks is around 250k people by my estimate. Greeny's twitter account alone resulted in 4,389 retweets and 2,779 favorites.

I've had a few stories that I've written be seen by as many people, but this feels a whole lot more special.

Go Billikens.

-- Swift

thanks -- yes the sentence includes both of the errors I deride. Can you spot them?? I'm happy someone finally spotted by joke!

very nice, I saw it too.

Majerus's

According to AP style, "Majerus'" is correct. That's good enough for me.

According to AP style, "Majerus'" is correct. That's good enough for me.

Is there a Billikens.com style guide? There should be.

Example:

HATE is to be in bold and all caps. No exceptions.

Thank you.

You are correct, sir.

I wish I could listen to their show more often, but I get up late and work late, so I usually sleep through it. I had to search through TVEyes.com to see where this was mentioned. I spent probably a minute and a half on the image (thus the error) and it does feel nice to hear that it meant something to people -- especially those who knew him.

I was actually alerted to it by one of my SLU friends now living in Miami (he took his talents there) who took a picture on his cell and tweeted it to me. I had made use of my press badge and acquired a press pass, allowing me to sit on the floor with the photogs at the Mason game. I was the ****** taking pictures with a tablet -- I was "that guy" -- but I didn't care because I got to sit courtside for a bit, AND I got taj an a10 media guide. My sister was up in NYC during the VCU game and the bar she was in carried it. Granted, it was ESPN diesel, but it is a cool feeling to go to a bar and see the Billikens on unexpectedly. I'm not a big NYC fan, but they do have White Castle, so they're OK in my book.

Sorry you weren't able to make it to DC. We try to have fun watch parties and you all are always welcome to join us. I can tell you where the cheap motels are in town that rank slightly above the Knight's Inn.

One of my (now former) Groomsmen is getting married in April. His bachelor party is the week of the A-10 tournament. I'm a good friend so I will do my best to go, as I am now one of his groomsmen, but I really was looking forward to getting press passes to the A-10 tourney.

--

Sent an email to Mike and Mike, maybe they'll follow up and we can get some more positive press for the team. The facebook image I posted -- according to FB -- was seen by 18k people. A conservative estimate with the instagram and other shares and twitter shares by the ESPN folks is around 250k people by my estimate. Greeny's twitter account alone resulted in 4,389 retweets and 2,779 favorites.

I've had a few stories that I've written be seen by as many people, but this feels a whole lot more special.

Go Billikens.

-- Swift

Shouldn't you give credit to Timmerman for finding the tweet? And how many internet dollars did you make? #IJustWantMyCommentReadByACeleb

-- McLovin It

Shouldn't you give credit to Timmerman for finding the tweet? And how many internet dollars did you make? #IJustWantMyCommentReadByACeleb

-- McLovin It

Timmerman never tweeted the image, so no. And if you're referring to the OregonLive interview, he wasn't the primary source. Clearly you don't know anything about me.