Video game

SLUfan_42

I was thinking (and this has nothing to do with the our win streak or anything) how much a college basketball video game would benefit the NCAA as a whole

I remember back in maybe 2008? when EA Sports made a college basketball game with Kevin Love on the cover at UCLA and how cool I thought it was that you could play with actually college teams. I just don't understand why they would stop making it.

The first thing I heard was that EA Sports wasn't getting enough money from it. But this doesn't make sense because the number of pro fans and D1 college fans are about the same number, and would be more likely to buy the game that has their team on it.

I couldn't help but think how much more exposure we the Billikens would receive with a college video game in stores. Think of a real life Jordair Jett throwin an alley-oop to Dwayne Evans and the SLUnatics in the background go nuts all in a real-life animated version of Chaifetz. Coolest damn thing ever.

Online mode would present even more of a reward. Of the hundreds of thousands of people would be online trying to pick a ranked to play with (because the tea, are no fun) and there are the Billikens 13 in the nation... I'll play with them... Not only are we in the bottom line of Sporscenter, but we are 13 in the country on EVERYONES minds, not just the mind who stumbles across the rankings each week.

This would be sick

i was thinking how much westy03 got his AZZZZZ WHUPPPPED in 2006 when we used to play 2K college hoops. couldn't stop my haxxor-L337 charge-taking ability from 5 feet behind him on fast breaks. i recreated the entire billikens team for that, of course.

EA said they weren't making enough money. If the market's not there why would they make an annual game? You answered your own question in your response.

It seems like the market would be there is what I'm saying... And for this I asked "how could they not make money off this"

I miss the games too. They just feel better than the NBA games. It is true EA wasn't making enough money and 2K couldn't afford it either, but that was the NCAA's fault for charging too much for licensing. TONS of game developers and studios make small market games that cost a bunch but still make money. This is not a small market game these days but the NCAA's licensing fees are making the profit range far too small for EA or 2K to take on. Just like now EA can't afford to publish a new college football game because the NCAA is getting out of hand while the market shrinks a bit. A small market shrink isn't an issue, it's the licensing cost rising at such a huge rate combined with that minor shrink.

I remember I had EA sports NCAA March Madness 2003 (Josh Fisher's senior year). The game did not have specific players names, but I think the jersey numbers and stats roughly matched with guys like Fisher, Reggie Bryant, Sloan, Drejaj, Ohannon, Frericks, Varner, and even walk-on Phillip Hunt. In my game Josh won NPOY and led the Billikens to an undefeated season. Then I was able to recruit a bunch of 5 star recruits and win several NCAA titles before getting fired for losing to Louisville in the CUSA tournament.

I remember I had EA sports NCAA March Madness 2003 (Josh Fisher's senior year). The game did not have specific players names, but I think the jersey numbers and stats roughly matched with guys like Fisher, Reggie Bryant, Sloan, Drejaj, Ohannon, Frericks, Varner, and even walk-on Phillip Hunt. In my game Josh won NPOY and led the Billikens to an undefeated season. Then I was able to recruit a bunch of 5 star recruits and win several NCAA titles before getting fired for losing to Louisville in the CUSA tournament.

College video games have never had names. In recent years the game makers figured out that you could circumvent that by letting players assign the names and upload those rosters to a server for download.

The game did not have specific players names, but I think the jersey numbers and stats roughly matched with guys like Fisher, Reggie Bryant, Sloan, Drejaj, Ohannon, Frericks, Varner, and even walk-on Phillip Hunt.

This is why they don't make the game anymore and why they're not going to make the football one anymore. Players were/are suing them over using their likeness

This is why they don't make the game anymore and why they're not going to make the football one anymore. Players were/are suing them over using their likeness

That's weak, if I was in a video game I'd make sure EVERYONE knew

College video games have never had names. In recent years the game makers figured out that you could circumvent that by letting players assign the names and upload those rosters to a server for download.

Yeah. I didn't think any games used names. Since this was before downloading rosters, I just edited all of the Billiken players to give them their actual names.

I guess this is a case of games becoming too realistic. Back in the 2003 game, the players were the same height, uniform number, skin color, and had similar skills, but it would be hard to sue over "likeness" because they really didn't look like the players.

I used to play a simulation game that was sold with generic teams but fans made zip files that would load the real teams etc. It was fun you were a coach and hired assistants, recruited, set practice focus and could do in game adjustments. I played with a group of guys and it would sim weekly. You could be fired and try to get hired by other schools. It even had transfers, budgets and could pay for recruiting services. I think it was by grey dog sports.