Duquesne's MD Couch view ....

Taj79

Wow! talk about a barn-burner. Just some notes probably already discussed.

Even Steven: Bills shot 50% from the field. So did the Dukes. The Bills 53% from three. So did the Dukes. Bills 67% from the line. Ditto Dukes. Offensive rebounds ... each with five. Defensive rebounds show the dukes +3. Bills with 20 assits, Dukes with 17. Bills with 2 blocks and five steals; Dukes with 5 blocks and two steals. Dukes +1 in fouls at 19 to 18. Turnovers shows the Bills at 9, the Dukes with 13. BINGO! Four more turnovers for a loss by four points? Do that math!

How come we turn 6'8" journeymen into studs? Soko with 18 and McCoy with 15 join the ranks of bland ballplayers we turn into stars ... like Delroy James, Cady LaLane, Anthony Lee and what seems like many more.

Is Evans a marked man? Seems like he is "targeted" very quickly --- either by the opposition or the refs --- and he has what seem to be a lot of dumb fouls. And I am extremely tired of the acting job these guys do going down the lane while driving -- screaming and flailing and all sorts of fake stuff that a ref now seems quite ready to call. The current "help the offense" edict that appears out there.

I like that we never seemed to panic last night. I'll call that "senior effort." Down by 8? No problem. Shot clock ticking away? No problem. All the guys contributed with maybe the exception of Reggie who posted zeros for his two minte stint.

Likes: won without contributions from Evans. Made 30 points via threes. Jett's double-double despite some questionable decisions. McBroom and Crawford dropping threes. Mike McCall found again. And of course, Grandy being grand.

Dislikes: Half the team fouls totaled to Evans and Barnett. Foul shooting was a little suspect late. Jett missing more free throws than he made. Our inability to defend a simple weave --- and not recognizing the fact that Soko wasn't giving the ball up once he got it. Not covering the short little white guy who's job it is to shoot threes. John Manning covering a man at the foul line extended.

Hey -- there will b enight's lik ethese. But a win is a win. Take it and run. Destroy them at Chaifetz! A weekoff now to rest up.

Tough game, we weren't at our best and Duq played a surprisingly good game (making 70% of their shots for most of the first half helps with the confidence too).

This was an aberration for our defense. I can handle this happening 1 out of every 20 games. The really positive news is that RL hit 2-4 from 3 point range. MM appears to be working back into form offensively and went 3-4 from three (and 4-5 overall). Crawford and McBroom went 2-3 and 3-6, respectively, from 3 point range. Now, I'm hoping this wasn't an anomaly for our offense and believe things are trending up for our shooters.

Tough game, we weren't at our best and Duq played a surprisingly good game (making 70% of their shots for most of the first half helps with the confidence too).

This was an aberration for our defense. I can handle this happening 1 out of every 20 games. The really positive news is that RL hit 2-4 from 3 point range. MM appears to be working back into form offensively and went 3-4 from three (and 4-5 overall). Crawford and McBroom went 2-3 and 3-6, respectively, from 3 point range. Now, I'm hoping this wasn't an anomaly for our offense and believe things are trending up for our shooters.

We need the trend to continue. If we have an improved offense this team will be really special.

Speaking of the clock getting low......How'd you like to be that dipshiite guard for the Dukes who got a ten second call while slowly ambling unguarded up the court. I bet he had a bad night.......

No excuse on that violation. No Billiken player was even on that side of the 1/2 court line. If I was Ferry, he would be doing suicide sprints till his legs fell off.

I believe that was on Derrick Colter, the Dukes regular and returning point guard. As many have seen, I had the Duke's play-by-play last night and those guys were terrible. They missed on a call where they thought the refs were checking McBroom on a three when it was obvious they were cleaning up perspiration on the floor. Then they really were confused when no ref came to their table to check the monitor. We've had various references to "the banking board' and the "fore court." I can't find their names -- I want to say Goff and Dunham --- but they were the worst ever. At one point they even called "timeout, Saint Bonaventure." They referred to Glaze as a senior and even with Glaze out there, kept referring to "SLU's starters' being on the floor.

What I don't get on the ten second call was on my feed, the shot clock was only on 27 seconds. Which meant he had two seconds to go. But, the count for ten seconds is always in the hand of the manual count by the official. Oh well, pretty funny.

Here's a positive trend: Mike McCall is up, Mike Crawford is showing confidence, and with that his minutes are up with Jake's down which is making Jake more rested and allowing him to make threes again. And don't sleep on Rob Loe.

Speaking of the clock getting low......How'd you like to be that dipshiite guard for the Dukes who got a ten second call while slowly ambling unguarded up the court. I bet he had a bad night.......

that was surreal especially with the goofy tv feed and the announcers. my tv it looked like he got to the half court line and then stutter stepped till 10 seconds.it almost look like he did it on purpose ala Loneliness of the long Distance Runner or Longest Yard.