GDT: Game of the day

slu72

Loe is most certainly not an "average" player. Look around the nation and find me enough 6'11" guys who can put up 15 against the number 10 team in the nation that you can call Rob average.

Perhaps people are misguided as far as how many good big men there are in the country. It is damn near impossible in college basketball to find a 6'10" or above player who can walk and chew gum at the same time. The fact that Rob can score, and is also a competent rebounder and defender makes him certainly above average.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the Wisconsin West Virginia, Wisconsin won by a 9 point margin. Interesting stuff to watch. These are my thoughts about this game in comparison with the prior SLU Wisconsin game won by Wisconsin by a 6 point margin.

1. First of all W Virginia is a really athletic very muscular and powerful team with a good zone defense that befuddled Wisconsin. We were not as well coordinated as W. Virginia was in this game, we played largely one on one with apparently a fair degree of individual freedom to do moves that looked disorganized.

2. W Virginia stayed close to Wisconsin most of the second half and gave them a pretty hard time. Their zone was effective and for a long time this game looked like what we were doing for a good portion of our game, shooting long range and losing ground. Both teams were shooting long range from the 3 zone. There was a major difference in comparison to our game, W. Virginia made a good number of these 3 pointers and Wisconsin made a lot more of the 3 pointers, we missed a lot of these attempts. There was very little defense on the 3 pointers that I could see on either side.

3. Eventually W. Virginia started penetrating and going to the basket, they did OK but got a lot of fouls in the process. Wisconsin made the majority of their free throws, W. Virginia missed a lot more of the free throws than Wisconsin did. The combination of lots of fouls caused by the need to penetrate to score with a relatively poor free throw connection killed W Virginia in my opinion.

4. W. Virginia came within 4 points of Wisconsin in the second half but could not get ahead. Great game but they lost it.

5. My impression of our game with Wisconsin was not as bad as what I have been reading here. I thought we played well. I thought we got lots of fouls that caused some disorganization in our effort. Our play was not pretty but we largely stopped Wisconsin from shooting 3 pointers, unfortunately they did fine inside as well. We lost the game, it was close though.

So, live and learn, we beat Old Dominion and now we will see what we can do next Sunday against Wichita St. Happy Thanksgiving. Go Bills.

My guess would be defense is MC's issue. He's probably too slow to man up against a 3 or 2 and doesn't have the knowledge yet on how to compensate for it. In short, we'd get drilled. Still, if he truly does have sniper abilities it might be worth the risk to stick him in there in a comeback game where 3s would really help.

Slower then JB? Really - sorry, JB is not fast and all he does is flay about out there on defense. He does get a rebound once in awhile so I will give him that. I am not saying MC has to be in there but JB is giving us nothing.

Slower then JB? Really - sorry, JB is not fast and all he does is flay about out there on defense. He does get a rebound once in awhile so I will give him that. I am not saying MC has to be in there but JB is giving us nothing.

I'm not astute enough with X's and O's, but I've noticed our freshman have been confused on defensive rotations resulting in a lot of open shots/easy buckets. MC's man on man might not be dramatically worse than JBs, but I wonder if he is too far behind in other defensive aspects in the coaches' eyes.

It'd be nice to get 1-2 minutes of MC in non-garbage time to see how he does.

I just watched the Wisconsin West Virginia, Wisconsin won by a 9 point margin. Interesting stuff to watch. These are my thoughts about this game in comparison with the prior SLU Wisconsin game won by Wisconsin by a 6 point margin.

1. First of all W Virginia is a really athletic very muscular and powerful team with a good zone defense that befuddled Wisconsin. We were not as well coordinated as W. Virginia was in this game, we played largely one on one with apparently a fair degree of individual freedom to do moves that looked disorganized.

2. W Virginia stayed close to Wisconsin most of the second half and gave them a pretty hard time. Their zone was effective and for a long time this game looked like what we were doing for a good portion of our game, shooting long range and losing ground. Both teams were shooting long range from the 3 zone. There was a major difference in comparison to our game, W. Virginia made a good number of these 3 pointers and Wisconsin made a lot more of the 3 pointers, we missed a lot of these attempts. There was very little defense on the 3 pointers that I could see on either side.

3. Eventually W. Virginia started penetrating and going to the basket, they did OK but got a lot of fouls in the process. Wisconsin made the majority of their free throws, W. Virginia missed a lot more of the free throws than Wisconsin did. The combination of lots of fouls caused by the need to penetrate to score with a relatively poor free throw connection killed W Virginia in my opinion.

4. W. Virginia came within 4 points of Wisconsin in the second half but could not get ahead. Great game but they lost it.

5. My impression of our game with Wisconsin was not as bad as what I have been reading here. I thought we played well. I thought we got lots of fouls that caused some disorganization in our effort. Our play was not pretty but we largely stopped Wisconsin from shooting 3 pointers, unfortunately they did fine inside as well. We lost the game, it was close though.

So, live and learn, we beat Old Dominion and now we will see what we can do next Sunday against Wichita St. Happy Thanksgiving. Go Bills.

Old Guy, you're going to lose your reputation as being the most accurate person here. You posted in two places that the margin was nine points, but I see that the score was 70-63.