OT: Rams Draft

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule changes when it comes to contact with defensless players will really help players Austin's size

You think so?

I don't. How many guys did you see carried or carted off the field last year, done for the year? More than ever IMO.

I hope Austin is somehow durable, but I think Austin will suffer several injuries over a 4-5 yr stretch enough to keep him off the field or slow him down / banged up a lot... and if he loses his elite 4.3 speed, then wtf is he good for? Sure, he will have a few healthy years I hope. I HOPE 4-5 in a row. But I doubt it. A fast Mickey Rooney in the NFL.

The lawyers are swarming. It will be like mesothelioma, all the 20+ yr old NFL internal memos / records are being seized: NFL team "doctors" allowing players to play with their brains half bashed in... it's all coming out. The guys from 25 yrs ago are coo coo and the linemen weighed 40-60 lbs less than the players today.

The players these days are freaks, too big / strong / fast and sometimes playing on artificial turf, to boot. Killing each other.

The NFL will be very different in 5 yrs or so. More touch footlball rules or ridiculous padded helmets and equipment that make them look foolish instead of like soldiers or warriors... it is inevitable. Enjoy the wreckless chaos a few more years... it will be over soon.

You cant stop the PED's, the creatine, the extreme weight lifting... the only answer: MB73 says, player weight limits. Linemen 265. LB 215. Something like that...

MB. Anything is possible. Sure, Austin can be injured. Sure, he can lose his 4.3 speed. Guess the same can be said about EVERY draft pick, right? At least Austin was exceptionally healthy and injury free in both high school and college.

BTW, do you think RG3 has lost some mobility and speed? Why did the Redskins draft him? He already had a bad knee from college. Should they have not known "how many guys were carted off the field"??

MB. Anything is possible. Sure, Austin can be injured. Sure, he can lose his 4.3 speed. Guess the same can be said about EVERY draft pick, right? At least Austin was exceptionally healthy and injury free in both high school and college.

BTW, do you think RG3 has lost some mobility and speed? Why did the Redskins draft him? He already had a bad knee from college. Should they have not known "how many guys were carted off the field"??

Big difference. A smaller player is more likely to get hurt. Austin is an explosive player, but most of his game is based on superior speed. No size/power/strength. So when an Anquan Boldin type is banged up he still plays and is very very effective. A super small smurf super speed type WR that is banged up's value plunges.

IMO RGIII is not going to be as effective next yr for two reasons 1) he probably will be slowed down after the latest surgery and 2) be less effective because he will not do nearly the same number of option plays where he gets pummeled legally after he pitches out. QB is a bit of a different subject. Look at Vick, he has fallen apart after a few flashy yrs, always hurt. You cannot play that style in the NFL long term. If RGIII keeps playing like last yr, he will be a mess in a couple of years.

You have to think that Matt Barkley is kicking himself now. He would have been a sure-fire first round pick last year. Now, the best he can hope for is being picked in the 4th round. He might still make an eventual impact with whatever team picks him, but he sure left a lot of money on the table going back to USC for another year.

You have to think that Matt Barkley is kicking himself now. He would have been a sure-fire first round pick last year. Now, the best he can hope for is being picked in the 4th round. He might still make an eventual impact with whatever team picks him, but he sure left a lot of money on the table going back to USC for another year.

Only about $11 mil, ho-hum. Love what the Rams have done, but the NFC West is going to be an absolute beast for the foreseeable future.

Only about $11 mil, ho-hum. Love what the Rams have done, but the NFC West is going to be an absolute beast for the foreseeable future.

Eagles got him and per the rookie sliding scale, he will get a 4 yr/$2.5 million deal with a $500,000 signing bonus. Its quite possible that he might be the starting QB on that team by the end of the season, if not the beginning. Philly got themselves a nice little deal there...low-risk, high-reward.

Typical. When the West was the worst division in football, we were dreadful. Now that we're finally improving (and really making strides in my opinion), the West is arguably the best division in the NFL. I guess it could be a good thing though. Nothing like a good challenge to help these young guys experience big time football from the start.

Did they take Jordiar?

Actually Im really pleased.

Then again Im happy about every draft for the first 6 months, except the Arcahletta, Pickett, Lewis 1st round disaster, and the Trung Canidate pick was a head scratcher, the tiny corner they took a few years back was an upsetting pick too. But most of the time I like their picks until.they play.

Did they take Jordiar?

Actually Im really pleased.

Then again Im happy about every draft for the first 6 months, except the Arcahletta, Pickett, Lewis 1st round disaster, and the Trung Canidate pick was a head scratcher, the tiny corner they took a few years back was an upsetting pick too. But most of the time I like their picks until.they play.

Pickett at least turned out to be a good player for the Packers. I'm happier about this draft than I have been with any draft since I was old enough to follow it. We could have five starters from this draft. Amazing.

Overall a very good draft, the Rams filled a lot of needs (WR, OLB, S, OL, CB, RB) with a combination of high risk / high potential players (Austin, Ogletree) early, then solid picks the rest of the way.

I like Austin's explosive game changing capabilities but he is smaller than Kwamain Mitchell... so durability is a real issue. Ogletree is exactly what we need at OLB; he did some grass and had a DUI, but probably most of the players drafted did some grass and / or booze, too.

The rest are solid picks, though the later rounds are of lesser importance and impact.

Fisher's eye for talent has been outstanding, free agents last yr, the draft last yr, and free agents this yr going into the draft all are looking good, so you have to think this is another batch of winners.

Pickett at least turned out to be a good player for the Packers. I'm happier about this draft than I have been with any draft since I was old enough to follow it. We could have five starters from this draft. Amazing.

Last year may turn out to be hard to beat. Hell just drafting a defensive lineman that eventually made a play for the Rams put it in the top 2 since 2000. Brockers and Jenkins are potential all pro's, Givens had a good year for a rookie WR and I wouldn't count Quick out as WR is probably one of the hardest positions to play for a rookie. He has all the tools and I'd bet on him being at least a productive starter but won't be surprised to see more.

With that said, I also love the draft. 2 almost certain starters and I won't be surprised to see McDonald and the 2nd WV receiver get a lot of time. The Alabama guard looks to me like one of those long time consistent NFL starters. I like how they went after winners and leaders. Kind of reminds you of what RM said he looked for in a recruit

Last year may turn out to be hard to beat. Hell just drafting a defensive lineman that eventually made a play for the Rams put it in the top 2 since 2000. Brockers and Jenkins are potential all pro's, Givens had a good year for a rookie WR and I wouldn't count Quick out as WR is probably one of the hardest positions to play for a rookie. He has all the tools and I'd bet on him being at least a productive starter but won't be surprised to see more.

With that said, I also love the draft. 2 almost certain starters and I won't be surprised to see McDonald and the 2nd WV receiver get a lot of time. The Alabama guard looks to me like one of those long time consistent NFL starters. I like how they went after winners and leaders. Kind of reminds you of what RM said he looked for in a recruit

I REALLY liked the Barrett Jones pick. I agree with you that he seems like a solid starter for years to come. Awesome when you can get a player like that in the 4th round.

Overall a very good draft, the Rams filled a lot of needs (WR, OLB, S, OL, CB, RB) with a combination of high risk / high potential players (Austin, Ogletree) early, then solid picks the rest of the way.

I like Austin's explosive game changing capabilities but he is smaller than Kwamain Mitchell... so durability is a real issue. Ogletree is exactly what we need at OLB; he did some grass and had a DUI, but probably most of the players drafted did some grass and / or booze, too.

The rest are solid picks, though the later rounds are of lesser importance and impact.

Fisher's eye for talent has been outstanding, free agents last yr, the draft last yr, and free agents this yr going into the draft all are looking good, so you have to think this is another batch of winners.

Yes but some taller/bigger players have proven to be very fragile while some shorter/smaller players have proven to be very durable. Hopefully, Austin's durability (not missing a game in either high school or college) will continue. And Brian Quick is 6'3" and weighs 220 lbs so having a smaller/quicker offensive weapon may be perfect.