What does Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton and Gonzaga know that we don't?

After watching/thinking about this special team play this season, it was awesome hearing people talk about the Billikens. At the grocery store, the barber shop, etc, etc. Regular casual college basketball fans were talking about SLU! Not Mizzou or Illinois or Kansas, SLU! People asking where to buy merchandise and asking for good places to watch the NCAA games, it was unlike anything I've ever seen as a Billiken fan. Athletics are the front porch to any University, it is proven the deeper you go into March Madness the better it is for enrollment (which is more tution $!!!!). Also, it has to help season ticket sales, individual game sales, traffic to the University and not to mention selling merchandise! As smart as The Father is, you would think he would be whoring the Billiken out at any and every possible venue. Even if you don't like sports (which is what I hear about him) you would think he or someone in his circle would be smart enough to understand how important having a winning basketball team is to SLU? I've never seen a 10 year old kid wearing a SLU Law School or SLU Medical School t-shirt or a MIzzou Journalism Jersey! Hopefully The Father will get engaged and guide us into the Big East, if anything just for the money! Congrats again to the AD, the coaches and all of the players at SLU! They are doing a terrific job and we are lucky to have them at SLU! Obviously Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton and Gonzaga know how important sports are to their entire University! I doubt anyone east of Washington would know where and what Gonzaga is without their basketball program.......Go Bills! Happy Easter!

It's not that they "know" anything. Its that they have people in charge or in control who understand and accept your presumed correlation. Which ours does not (according to a very high placed booster who's name appears in the latest "Universitas" under some of the highest classifications of donors).

I sincerely doubt anyone is going to change this leopard's spots at his late age. If we are going to succeed, it will be in spite of him, not because of him.

After watching/thinking about this special team play this season, it was awesome hearing people talk about the Billikens. At the grocery store, the barber shop, etc, etc. Regular casual college basketball fans were talking about SLU! Not Mizzou or Illinois or Kansas, SLU! People asking where to buy merchandise and asking for good places to watch the NCAA games, it was unlike anything I've ever seen as a Billiken fan. Athletics are the front porch to any University, it is proven the deeper you go into March Madness the better it is for enrollment (which is more tution $!!!!). Also, it has to help season ticket sales, individual game sales, traffic to the University and not to mention selling merchandise! As smart as The Father is, you would think he would be whoring the Billiken out at any and every possible venue. Even if you don't like sports (which is what I hear about him) you would think he or someone in his circle would be smart enough to understand how important having a winning basketball team is to SLU? I've never seen a 10 year old kid wearing a SLU Law School or SLU Medical School t-shirt or a MIzzou Journalism Jersey! Hopefully The Father will get engaged and guide us into the Big East, if anything just for the money! Congrats again to the AD, the coaches and all of the players at SLU! They are doing a terrific job and we are lucky to have them at SLU! Obviously Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton and Gonzaga know how important sports are to their entire University! I doubt anyone east of Washington would know where and what Gonzaga is without their basketball program.......Go Bills! Happy Easter!

I agree with you, and yes, Father Biondi openly admits that he isn't a sports guy. But don't you think he realizes that sports is the way to increase popularity and ultimately money? After all, he hired Majerus. Sure, he did not know who Rick Majerus was, but he hired the consulting firm that advised slu to go with Rick. The Fetz was built on Biondi's watch. If he didn't want it built, it would not have been. I know he is at fault for many current problems, and I truly wish he was passionate about sports and was present at more games, but I don't think you can say that he didn't realize that successful sports leads to increased popularity, recognition, and yes, money.

It's amazing how many people I've seen wearing Billiken gear lately.

And the other day while sitting at Bread Co. with the kids, I overheard a group of older ladies at the table next to us discussing the Billikens' performance in the tourney in great detail, and they really knew their stuff. It was kind of surreal.

I disagree that Father knows how big of an impact sports is to a University. Look at how much money Georgetown, Gonzaga and Creighton spend just on Men's Basketball. It dwarfs what SLU spends in comparison. Look at the money Mizzou makes just on their merchandise, SLU could use a brand/logo "face lift" for sure and sell more merchandise to younger kids and adults as well. It's been reported that the President of Creighton from the start was aggressive with the Big East schools. It paid off. The arena was built by guys like Chaifetz who are passionate about sports, in my opinion. I think Father has been great for SLU, this isn't a slam post about him, I'll leave that to others. SLU wouldn't be where they are today without him for sure or in a position to even be considered for the Big East. I just think he needs to be more involved and aggressive about the Big East deal. I just don't want to see the Billikens left out. But, to your point he does have a great Athletic Administration in place and he did hire Majerus, so I just hope he realizes before it is too late that it's Big East or bust for this program and he needs to throw everything he can at this opportunity. In the end, I think it's ironic that his lasting legacy at SLU could be whether or not we get into the Big East and nothing else. I pray we do.

Athletics are the front porch to any University, it is proven the deeper you go into March Madness the better it is for enrollment (which is more tution $!!!!).

Yes, of course. The three to eight percent more applicants that result from a Sweet Sixteen or higher run mean that a University suddenly has a higher capacity.

Re: Box. I had dinner at Mia Sorella a few nights ago representing in my blue and white and a random 50-something couple pointed at the Billiken on my sweatshirt and high-fived me. Surreal ain't the word for it.

Yes, of course. The three to eight percent more applicants that result from a Sweet Sixteen or higher run mean that a University suddenly has a higher capacity.

Re: Box. I had dinner at Mia Sorella a few nights ago representing in my blue and white and a random 50-something couple pointed at the Billiken on my sweatshirt and high-fived me. Surreal ain't the word for it.

Wrong forum but what the heck. Loved Mia Sorelli's. Funny Story ... A good friend of mine, just to be silly asks the waiter/waitress at every restaurant we go to if they have Monkfish (sp) just because he likes the name and has never seen it on a menu. He's been doing this for a few years and no one has ever said yes. We go to Mia Sorelli's 4 couples and sit down and the waiter begins to tell us about the specials and the first one is Monkfish ... had us rolling. He ordered it, despite the fact he doesn't eat fish. He felt he had to ... (his wife ordered the Macharoni pasta and they swapped) The Monkfish was very good as was everything. It doesn't sound that funny, but for our group it was hillarious. I know the waiter thought we were nuts.

Man, I was so excited when Mia Sorella opened because it's close to where we live and we are huge fans of Trattoria Marcella. Alas, we were incredibly under-whelmed during our visit. I'll give it another try since it could have just been "one of those nights," but it was a major let-down. Now, the new Niche location in Clayton....Wow! Knee-buckling good.

Hey Skip - let me know if you need any help on the food front for the baseball game.

Biondi may have agreed to hire Majerus per the search group and Chaifetz but the issues after that seem to indicate he wasn't ALL IN as some believe. I remember standing in a bar in Cincinnati, 1997=98 Hughes freshman year and Biondi chirping in my ear about the kid and how this was our leap to a "top fifty" program. He knew his stuff and he knew Larry. I only tell that story because I relayed this story to the noted booster above in a bar in Brooklyn two or three weeks ago and was told then that he might say these things but his actions behind the scenes don't belie him actually believing it.

If all were right in the Billiken world, he should be sitting right next to Chaifetz as many times as Chaifetz is in the building. And he's not, is he?

I listened to the President of 20 year old FGCU today on CBS. The question was asked how much money is the sweet 16 appearance worth to you in advertising and marketing dollars. His answer, "To us, who nobody knew about a week ago, gazillions. Gazillions. My admission department came to my on Monday and said we're going to need more people." Hire this guy. He gets it. While Fr. B seems lost in Asia. If it was Billyken who said, "Athletics is the front porch to any university" gets it too. Sometimes our admin's seeming ignorance of what should be obvious to the casual observer really... really gets to me.

Biondi may have agreed to hire Majerus per the search group and Chaifetz but the issues after that seem to indicate he wasn't ALL IN as some believe. I remember standing in a bar in Cincinnati, 1997=98 Hughes freshman year and Biondi chirping in my ear about the kid and how this was our leap to a "top fifty" program. He knew his stuff and he knew Larry. I only tell that story because I relayed this story to the noted booster above in a bar in Brooklyn two or three weeks ago and was told then that he might say these things but his actions behind the scenes don't belie him actually believing it.

If all were right in the Billiken world, he should be sitting right next to Chaifetz as many times as Chaifetz is in the building. And he's not, is he?

actually biondi is at the games more than he is not there. biondi's seats are about 6 rows behind chaifetz's seats not next to him. chaifetz didnt miss many conference games, however during the nonconference schedule chaifetz missed a few of those games. so there attendances are probably about the same.

I think this is a real conversation to have about the way Father sees athletics within this University. I don't want to believe he doesn't get it, but one has to wonder. I believe you can have excellent academics and excellent athletics, look at Duke. Would you view them as not a good academic school because they have an exceptional basketball program, no way! SLU doesn't have the weather/location like a San Diego, it doesn't have attractions like Vegas or Orlando, so besides academics you need to give kids a reason to come and be a part of SLU. Athletics is a major driving force behind the college experience. It brings the community together and gives this wonderful University a national platform to advertise. Sports is a multi-billion dollar industry, for a reason. More people are interested in how the basketball team is doing than where the Law School is nationally ranked. I'm not debating if one is more important than the other, our society says it's athletics. But why not have both? I just don't get how a guy as smart as Father is so out of it when it comes to funding and promoting SLU Basketball/Athletics. Plus, it gives kids an opportunity to go to school that they normally wouldn't have. Everything department matters, but athletics is the first impression you are able to make to a little kid. Again, they want a stuffed Billiken or a SLU t-shirt, not a Law School shirt or Med School book bag! It's really not that complicated. Father will be judged for good or bad depending on our admittance into the Big East. Do the right thing Father and go all out to get into this conference and fund every sport the way it should be funded. These aren't over-priced millionaires, these are kids going to school and hopefully future donors!

That's awesome. Another random: the Breadsmith bakery at Manchester and Sappington has been flying a SLU flag the last few weeks. I guess they're SLU supporters - I'll have to throw them some more business.

I think this is a real conversation to have about the way Father sees athletics within this University. I don't want to believe he doesn't get it, but one has to wonder. I believe you can have excellent academics and excellent athletics, look at Duke. Would you view them as not a good academic school because they have an exceptional basketball program, no way! SLU doesn't have the weather/location like a San Diego, it doesn't have attractions like Vegas or Orlando, so besides academics you need to give kids a reason to come and be a part of SLU. Athletics is a major driving force behind the college experience. It brings the community together and gives this wonderful University a national platform to advertise. Sports is a multi-billion dollar industry, for a reason. More people are interested in how the basketball team is doing than where the Law School is nationally ranked. I'm not debating if one is more important than the other, our society says it's athletics. But why not have both? I just don't get how a guy as smart as Father is so out of it when it comes to funding and promoting SLU Basketball/Athletics. Plus, it gives kids an opportunity to go to school that they normally wouldn't have. Everything department matters, but athletics is the first impression you are able to make to a little kid. Again, they want a stuffed Billiken or a SLU t-shirt, not a Law School shirt or Med School book bag! It's really not that complicated. Father will be judged for good or bad depending on our admittance into the Big East. Do the right thing Father and go all out to get into this conference and fund every sport the way it should be funded. These aren't over-priced millionaires, these are kids going to school and hopefully future donors!

Honestly, I think the whole "athletics get in the way of academics" argument is bogus. Many (most?) of the elite basketball schools also boast good-to-great academics. Just look at schools like Duke, UNC, Georgetown, UCLA, Michigan, and Syracuse. A good athletics program reflects positively on the entire university. And not only does it boost academic recruiting, but the strong sports culture keeps current students and alumni invested in their school, which leads to a stronger alumni network, more donations, and greater fan support. Sure, it takes money to maintain a top-tier athletics department, but that investment stands to pay dividends over time.

Agree 100%!!!!! Great points!!!

Honestly, I think the whole "athletics get in the way of academics" argument is bogus. Many (most?) of the elite basketball schools also boast good-to-great academics. Just look at schools like Duke, UNC, Georgetown, UCLA, Michigan, and Syracuse. A good athletics program reflects positively on the entire university. And not only does it boost academic recruiting, but the strong sports culture keeps current students and alumni invested in their school, which leads to a stronger alumni network, more donations, and greater fan support. Sure, it takes money to maintain a top-tier athletics department, but that investment stands to pay dividends over time.

I listened to the President of 20 year old FGCU today on CBS. The question was asked how much money is the sweet 16 appearance worth to you in advertising and marketing dollars. His answer, "To us, who nobody knew about a week ago, gazillions. Gazillions. My admission department came to my on Monday and said we're going to need more people." Hire this guy. He gets it. While Fr. B seems lost in Asia. If it was Billyken who said, "Athletics is the front porch to any university" gets it too. Sometimes our admin's seeming ignorance of what should be obvious to the casual observer really... really gets to me.

Please don't equate FGCU with SLU in this situation. It's not a logical comparison at all. Up until the tournament run by FGCU very, very few people even knew the school existed. SLU, having been around as a major US university since 1818 is not in the same position. Obviously a Sweet 16 appearance would have helped SLU a lot too, but the magnitude of the benefit to FGCU compared to SLU is probably exponentially different.

Please don't equate FGCU with SLU in this situation. It's not a logical comparison at all. Up until the tournament run by FGCU very, very few people even knew the school existed. SLU, having been around as a major US university since 1818 is not in the same position. Obviously a Sweet 16 appearance would have helped SLU a lot too, but the magnitude of the benefit to FGCU compared to SLU is probably exponentially different.

Agreed; FGCU basically put itself on the map with this tournament run. But we shouldn't downplay the benefit to SLU, either. In my experience, those outside the midwest have little or no knowledge of SLU (I've seen people confuse us with Wash U or think we're a public school, and I've spoken with a not-insignificant number of people who just haven't heard of SLU). I think, outside of the midwest, we aren't in a completely unfamiliar position relative to FGCU. And, like FGCU, our basketball program can be a powerful tool moving forward.

I agree with you, and yes, Father Biondi openly admits that he isn't a sports guy. But don't you think he realizes that sports is the way to increase popularity and ultimately money? After all, he hired Majerus. Sure, he did not know who Rick Majerus was, but he hired the consulting firm that advised slu to go with Rick. The Fetz was built on Biondi's watch. If he didn't want it built, it would not have been. I know he is at fault for many current problems, and I truly wish he was passionate about sports and was present at more games, but I don't think you can say that he didn't realize that successful sports leads to increased popularity, recognition, and yes, money.

No I don't. I believe that Fr. B. truly believes that athletics is but one of many aspects of the university which increases popularity and ultimately money. Fr. Biondi waited over 20 years to upgrade the basketball facilities and to get our team out of West Pine gym. Had Fr. B realized that sports was the way, then he would have put sports closer to the front than to the end. As you know, nearly every single department had received a new building or major upgrade since 1987 and yet basketball waited until the end.

Now, if you are suggesting that "the light went on" and Fr. Biondi then discovered 7 years ago that sports is the way as is evidenced by the building of Chaifetz, then I'd suggest (as others have) that Fr. B's actions in the cutting of charter flights and his public fights with RM state otherwise. For instance, Fr. Landon with Creighton sure acted like he "got it" and that he worked the room and used his connections to get CU into the new BE. And we have seen the Jesuit President of X (an avid basketball fan) demonstrate that he "gets it" through his actions in over the years at X and most recently with his presence in San Jose for the games -- ask yourself if Fr. B ever went to any other Jesuit program's game in the past 25 years) demonstrate that he "gets it" with his support of the X basketball program over the years. Would either the Jesuit President of X or CU, or GT or Gonzaga as the topic asks, ever do to RM and the basketball program what Fr. B did. And while we're at it, don't forget Fr. Biondi's actions with Cheryl Levick --- the same disrespectful anti-female power approach which Fr. B unleashed last year upon the new Dean of our Law School. Can you imagine the Athletic Director wanting some knowledge about the firing/hiring of the men's basketball coach or the Law School wanting some input, or even advance knowledge, of the location of the law school!!

Now don't get me wrong. Fr. B does see that good sports does help the entire University. It's just that, IMO, Fr. B honest believes he already done enough and has already gone the extra mile for the sports program. Put me in the camp with the Presidents of Marquette and GTown with their $10 million budgets, and also with the the Presidents of the X, BU, Creighton and Gonzaga, and we would all disagree with Fr. Biondi and say there is alot more which can and should be done.

There are millions.$$$.of reasons, literally, to push for entrance into the BE. If you are really ambivalent about sports, at least think of the players. Membership in the BE would actually reduce the amount of travel time and lost class time by the players, in all sports participating in the BE. Trips to Olean NY, RI, UMass, Richmond, Charlotte, and potential multiple trips into Philly. Who'd miss some of that?

When I am in St. Louis and talking to some of my brothers and nephews/nieces about SLU Basketball some of the younger guys think I'm talking about SLU High School. I'd bet if the University did a poll in the St. Louis Metro Area that most young people 18 and younger would identify SLUH before SLU. "Where did you go to HS?" Also, before this tournament run I bet many people didn't even know SLU was D1! Getting into the BE and moving forward turns us from a Mid to a Major program in D1. Father either has to be the main driver or get out of the way and give the AD the full power to run this program like a Xavier or Creighton.

When I am in St. Louis and talking to some of my brothers and nephews/nieces about SLU Basketball some of the younger guys think I'm talking about SLU High School. I'd bet if the University did a poll in the St. Louis Metro Area that most young people 18 and younger would identify SLUH before SLU. "Where did you go to HS?" Also, before this tournament run I bet many people didn't even know SLU was D1! Getting into the BE and moving forward turns us from a Mid to a Major program in D1. Father either has to be the main driver or get out of the way and give the AD the full power to run this program like a Xavier or Creighton.

People who follow college bball know who SLU is and definitely know we're D1. The casual sports fan who only watches college bball during the tournament doesn't know what D1 means.