AD Search Committee chair

Yea, the article linked here did not divulge the other 7 names, so if someone who posts here has inside information...time to fess up. I'd find it hard to believe though that any of the coaches would be on this committee.

SLU sponsors 14 sports and has only three women head coaches, those being in women's bball, field hockey and volleyball. The young field hockey coach has been at SLU about one year, and the young volleyball coach has been at SLU about three months. So, if for diversity reasons your going to have a woman coach on the AD search committee, you would go with the veteran women's bball coach. In addition, Coach Pizzotti has been operating with the worst athletic facilities (West Pine gym) in C-USA. No one knows better than Pizzotti how important it is to get the new arena fund raising completed.

Dr. Ross is a quality guy. Box and Won and I will try to get that inside scoop since he is our fraternity brother I'm sure he'll tell me everything right? Anyway, I don't know why the coaches are on the committee either maybe that is standard practice but it seems strange to be picking your new boss. If I were given that opportunity my questions would entail, "Mr./Ms. X how do you feel about people who like to sleep in and get to work late but leave early and take long lunches?" Or in Pizzotti's case,"How important do you think something like...uh...winning is to a sport like..uh...women's basketball?" Coach Sodeberg, "Do you think I look like Scott Hamilton?"

I tend to agree with you -- on picking your boss. Coaches can exert a lot of influence w/o being on the search committee. In fact sometimes more.

However, the most important thing is to get someone who has the energy and ability to move SLU forward in all aspects. And I believe the committee will do that.

this committee will not pick the coach. i believe they will whittle through the pile of candidates and applications and reccommend a final four or thereabouts. then it will probably be father biondi and a few close associates from there.

Good point. You might be right. Now that the committee is formed are we looking at about 2-3 weeks until completion. How long was it before Brad was hired? I think it was about 2 weeks but it seemed much longer.

Kind of curious why,if both basketball coaches are on the committee why not the soccer coaches?SLU soccer is bigtime.

Maybe this is a reason...

In the St. Louis area, you think more people can name the women's basketball coach's name @ SLU or Men's Soccer Coach...

Not a definite, but a thought

Steve

it is my guess brad is on the committee simply because men's basketball is king. jill is on to represent the women's side of coaches and she has seniority over the other two. gotta be political correct and equal representation. not saying i agree with that nonsense, but i understand it. i.e. i dont think jill is on the committee as a basketball coach, she is there as a women's coach.

Is there or is there not still an Athletics Council comprised of faculty and others? The old man was on it when Debbie was AD.

And Lenny the Leprechaun? Granted, he goes to all the basketball games and I've seen him at other events (and he's an all-around great guy), but he seems an unusual choice.

By the way, I agree with B-Roy's assessment: This is the screening committee. The final decision will be made by one person and one person only.

the committee. The key thing for any position is how the coaches and the New AD get along. Moreover no one seemed to have a problem with BBall players being on the search committee for the coaches in the past. If BS or Jill say these four candidates are people we caan work with, and these two are not...fine...Not a big deal to get their input.

I am not sure that having coaches on the committee is fair to the coaches. It could place them in a difficult situation at a later time.

The situation could arise that if a coach was not particulaly supportive of an AD canditate and that person was hired, how supportive of that coach would the AD be at a later date if the AD became aware of the coaches earlier lack of support. It may not even be a conscious lack of support but human nature being what it is that is a possibility.

I know the coaches where not on the search committee at USF but in that situation, if the reports are true, I am not sure how supportive Woolard will be of these coaches when they face some difficulty down the road.

Brad Soderberg, Jill Pizzotti, and Angie Lewis will not be choosing SLU's new athletic director. They will be part of a committee which will identify, screen, interview, and evaluate candidates. That process involves finding and recommending the candidate with the most desirable characteristics and track record for SLU. Father Biondi and the provost will examine the committee's report and make the choice. Just because the members of the committee rate one candidate best doesn't necessarily mean they think other candidates were poor choices.