Top 25

Mobile-iken

I ate at Spoons restaurant many times back in the day.

IMO the big years of Spoon's big run was superior fan-enthusiasm wise to what we are seeing today, but like earlier posters stated, it was timing and market dynamics. The Cardinals had a terrible run, bad, there was no NFL in town, etc. And back then there was not nearly as many sports on ESPN-Fox Sports-etc. 24/7 on HD.

Spoon had incredible charisma, a very good coach with country charm and a way with words, plus the players were very, very attractive to the fans, and some were local, also a key. Everybody liked most of our players.

I had 4 season tickets, my sons liked the games, Scott Highmark was my one son's favorite, NOBODY worked harder than Highmark. My son got to play on Scott's team in a summer basketball camp at Parkway West... a dream. The other son's face was on the scoreboard one game, and some costumed figure came running down the aisle, the loudspeakers boomed as "it" brought him a huge bucket of some kind of weird tiny chicken wings... some promotion, not sure what it was. He was stunned.

And Spoon was one of the first to understand that hitting the "3" was a strategic advantage, so he recruited the right ones to hit 'em, with "H", Clagget, and of course Scott. It was special... the "3" was kind of a new thing back then....to see those guards hitting "3's". The crowd went wild.

These days, I am getting calls and emails from friends outside of the SL area, but more importantly when I wear a Billiken shirt to the gym, (or whatever) people who never chat are stopping me and saying good things, they know we are 18 & 19, they even ask about tickets. So some of that is in the air again, but I would have to say that we need another year like this to get to the level of the famous Spoon run, but without a Spoon type charismatic leader and the local flavor, it will not quite hit the level of enthusiasm.

Finally, though, I think this team RIGHT NOW is better because of the 5-6 bigs we have. These days, too, teams know that they better defend the "3". No way of knowing, comparing eras is always debateable... but IMO this team is stronger, deeper. Still a long way to go. 4 games + The A-10 Tourney + NCAA's. But at this point, 3 strong guards, 5-6 bigs, plus JB, this yrs team is slightly better.

I certainly enjoyed Spoonball, but I don't recall that at all. Spoon inherited Clag and Highmark and did a good job of turning them loose, but really after that, "Spoonball" really didn't rely on a lot of 3-point shooting. Playing great defense was certainly a trademark of "Spoonball", but he didn't go out of his way to recruit a bunch of 3-point shooters. In fact, his other team that made the tournament consisted of Hughes and a bunch of serviceable role players. That was one of my disappointments in the Spoonball era was the spotty recruiting in the post Waldman/Clag era. Spoon didn't really seem to have a specific recruiting philosophy the way Majerus did. RM clearly had certain types of players that were going to fit well in his system - quick guards that can drive and dish or drive and score, bigs that can shoot, a couple of bruisers and always at least one guy who can score around the basket (Conkilin, Evans) and always had multiple 3-point shooting threats on the roster.

For what it's worth, 3 Top 25 teams lost last night:

#19 Memphis at Xavier

#1 Indiana at Minnesota

#8 Florida at Tennessee

Only #17 Wisconsin won, destroying Nebraska.

Tonight, it looks like a lot of very good teams go on the road to some seriously weaker opponents:

#4 Michigan at Penn State

#11 Arizona at USC

#15 Oklahoma State at TCU

#10 Louisville at DePaul

#7 Georgetown at UConn (this one is at least intriguing)

Virginia Tech at #5 Miami

South Florida at #23 Pitt

And, the one that we'll be watching the closest, SDSU at #14 New Mexico.

The UNM game is a mixed bag. If the Lobos win, it helps our numbers, if they lose we have a chance to move ahead of them in the polls. I have New Mex by 2 over SDSU. However, if anybody can beat them at the Pit from the MWC, it would be SDSU. Should be a great back and forth game.

The UNM game is a mixed bag. If the Lobos win, it helps our numbers, if they lose we have a chance to move ahead of them in the polls. I have New Mex by 2 over SDSU. However, if anybody can beat them at the Pit from the MWC, it would be SDSU. Should be a great back and forth game.
I'm rooting for UNM. We will move up in the polls if we continue to win games. The better that win is come seeding time, the better for us.

I'm rooting for UNM. We will move up in the polls if we continue to win games. The better that win is come seeding time, the better for us.

Per RPIForecast.com, it looks like UNM has a chance to finish with the top RPI in the nation if they can win out through the conference tournament. How big would SLU's win over them look if that happens? HUGE, IMO.

I was in school during the Spoonball era...it was so fun. Since I'm not in St. Louis now, it's hard for me to judge what the excitement level is like compared to then in St. Louis now. I'll never forget the game when we were still playing at the old arena and they had to start peeling back the tarp on seats been covered because the arena sold out. I do recall the Blues being pretty good when we moved to SAvvis, which may have helped us a bit. But I also recall that it caused scheduling problems for the basketball team (sharing Savvis). As for comparing attendance, we really had a good run at that time, but it certainly wasn't very intimate like the Fetz. You could argue that a couple of our sellouts this year would have been sellouts or nearly so at Savvis, driving up our attendance average. Still wouldn't trade Fetz for anything....

Aside: I was at a gas station in warrenton, Mo about 6 years ago wearing a SLU sweatshirt. I look over and this shortish guy with , you guessed it, a black turtleneck, looked at me and got the widest grin. I am 90% sure it was Spoon but didn't know how to ask. I felt like Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, but didn't have the balls to say, "Hey, Spoon!" Wish I had, my dad always said he was very approachable. I just smiled and gave a friendly nod.

I was in school during the Spoonball era...it was so fun. Since I'm not in St. Louis now, it's hard for me to judge what the excitement level is like compared to then in St. Louis now. I'll never forget the game when we were still playing at the old arena and they had to start peeling back the tarp on seats been covered because the arena sold out. I do recall the Blues being pretty good when we moved to SAvvis, which may have helped us a bit. But I also recall that it caused scheduling problems for the basketball team (sharing Savvis). As for comparing attendance, we really had a good run at that time, but it certainly wasn't very intimate like the Fetz. You could argue that a couple of our sellouts this year would have been sellouts or nearly so at Savvis, driving up our attendance average. Still wouldn't trade Fetz for anything....

Aside: I was at a gas station in warrenton, Mo about 6 years ago wearing a SLU sweatshirt. I look over and this shortish guy with , you guessed it, a black turtleneck, looked at me and got the widest grin. I am 90% sure it was Spoon but didn't know how to ask. I felt like Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, but didn't have the balls to say, "Hey, Spoon!" Wish I had, my dad always said he was very approachable. I just smiled and gave a friendly nod.

I believe that game was against SIUC. My dad was up from Texas and we went to the game. He was amazed at the crowd and the enthusiasm. We had crappy seats in an upper corner. That game is the reason I got season tickets the next year.

"If you are not from St. Louis, you won't remember the St. Louis Steamers. They were an indoor soccer team that had huge success in St. Louis in the early to mid 1980's. When I say huge success, I mean that there was one season where their average attendance was second in all of North America for arena teams to the Edmonton Oilers (Gretzky). Yes, this means they outdrew the Lakers, Celtics, Bull, NY Rangers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Blues, etc. Despite their success, they went out of business in 1988. They were replaced by another indoor soccer team that wasn't nearly as successful."

Oh yeah, I went to a crapload of Steamers games. Players I recall fondly: Carl Rose, Tony Glavin (went to his soccer camp), Slobo I., Steve Pecher (sp?), Steve cacciatore, Don Ebert. It was definitely fun. They'd give away balls and had a great, Chicago Bulls-esque player introduction. Wish we could get an MLS team.....but these Billikens are stretching the STL sports dollar even more!

"If you are not from St. Louis, you won't remember the St. Louis Steamers. They were an indoor soccer team that had huge success in St. Louis in the early to mid 1980's. When I say huge success, I mean that there was one season where their average attendance was second in all of North America for arena teams to the Edmonton Oilers (Gretzky). Yes, this means they outdrew the Lakers, Celtics, Bull, NY Rangers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Blues, etc. Despite their success, they went out of business in 1988. They were replaced by another indoor soccer team that wasn't nearly as successful."

Oh yeah, I went to a crapload of Steamers games. Players I recall fondly: Carl Rose, Tony Glavin (went to his soccer camp), Slobo I., Steve Pecher (sp?), Steve cacciatore, Don Ebert. It was definitely fun. They'd give away balls and had a great, Chicago Bulls-esque player introduction. Wish we could get an MLS team.....but these Billikens are stretching the STL sports dollar even more!

I remember Westy telling me about a steamer he received but I thought he said it was from Cleveland.

Open: Home Depot North Forth Worth, TX wearing a SLU Sweatshirt.
Guy, "Hey when did you go to SLU?"
Me, "96-2000."
Guy, as he nods his head, "Jay Strack"
Me staring blankly.
Guy, "He ran the Student Leadership University."
Me, "This is a Saint Louis University sweatshirt."
Guy, "Oh well Student Leadership University was a University for Student Leadership."
Me, "OK." walking away.
Guy mumbling, "Small world."

edited after viewing the Student Leadership University "SLU" page I realized I got the name of the guy wrong.

Me, "96-2000."

Guy, as he nods his head, "Jason Peterson"

Me staring blankly.

Guy, "Oh well Student Leadership University was a University for Student Leadership."

Me, "OK." walking away.

Student Leadership University sounds about as legit as Kensington University.

Also, they use the acronym "SLU" and even "SLU 101" for their programs: http://www.studentleadership.net/slu/

How about a cease and desist?

Me, "96-2000."

Guy, as he nods his head, "Jason Peterson"

Me staring blankly.

Me, "OK." walking away.

I think we should schedule Student Leadership University next year.... SLU vs. SLU. The problem with Student Leadership University's team is that although they have a lot of talent, they have too many guys who want to take over and not enough guys willing to be role players. They all want the ball in the final minute of a close game and they all want to take the last shot. They all want to be stars. You got 13 guys who all want to be captain of the team and they all complain about playing time.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BACKHANDtheRICAN" data-cid="346994" data-time="1361987951"><p>

urban dictionary will explain and educate the board as to what it is.</p></blockquote>

Oh, I know what it is. It's in my lexicon next to "upper decker"

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BACKHANDtheRICAN" data-cid="346994" data-time="1361987951"><p>

urban dictionary will explain and educate the board as to what it is.</p></blockquote>

"Lexicon" or "repertoire"?

High five.

I believe that game was against SIUC. My dad was up from Texas and we went to the game. He was amazed at the crowd and the enthusiasm. We had crappy seats in an upper corner. That game is the reason I got season tickets the next year.

I remember turning to my dad at that game and telling him I couldn't believe they were actually taking the tarps off. It was one of the cooler Billiken moments that didn't involve what was going on in a game.

This '88 grad knows what an upper decker is...One of the benefits of having younger employees.

I think we should schedule Student Leadership University next year.... SLU vs. SLU. The problem with Student Leadership University's team is that although they have a lot of talent, they have too many guys who want to take over and not enough guys willing to be role players. They all want the ball in the final minute of a close game and they all want to take the last shot. They all want to be stars. You got 13 guys who all want to be captain of the team and they all complain about playing time.

Sounds like they need a coach who says "Starting is for high school"