Why Richmond may be considered

slu72

Watching spider tv tonite I can see why they may be considered for the c7. A factor may be the number of sports teams they field. It's a lot more complete than ours; men's and women's golf, lacrosse for example. Plus they have FB which a lot of the C7 schools play as well. Could it be the c7 are looking at the possibility of being a FB league, not BCS, as well? Also, since they offer a buffet of Mens an Womens sports that we don't, they would be a more presentable candidate than us? Not sure what MU and DePaul offer the rest of the c7, but Slu might have to make a commitment to add some sports. Just a thought.

Watching spider tv tonite I can see why they may be considered for the c7. A factor may be the number of sports teams they field. It's a lot more complete than ours; men's and women's golf, lacrosse for example. Plus they have FB which a lot of the C7 schools play as well. Could it be the c7 are looking at the possibility of being a FB league, not BCS, as well? Also, since they offer a buffet of Mens an Womens sports that we don't, they would be a more presentable candidate than us? Not sure what MU and DePaul offer the rest of the c7, but Slu might have to make a commitment to add some sports. Just a thought.

I agree. Richmond should be in because of their outstanding women's golf program.

Not saying that at all. Just that I wonder if the C7 is looking at the complete AD picture for each school. Granted BB revenues are driving the bus in this deal, but just maybe the C7 is wondering how many passengers each school will have on it.

On another note, ESPN had an article yesterday that said the remaining Beast schools are close to a deal w/ NBC and the new C7 is close w/ Fox. In our favor, Fox's offer will depend on the number of schools they add, ie less for 10 more for 12. With Fox calling the shots I think that bodes well for us as market size will come into play.

I can see why Richmond is attractive.

They kind of fit in the same mold as many of the C7 schools.

First, I think the league will be all private. Reason VCU not considered.

Second, they are not in a competing market. That makes the A10 Catholic schools in Philly and a GW not considered. Also, may have ramifications for Dayton. Remember X not being invited into Great Midwest and Dayton not being invited to CUSA.

Richmond basketball program is very good especially with Mooney as coach. Sweet 16 a few years back. Also, they draw pretty good, I think they had 8000+ last night with us.

Also, if any one who has been to Richmond comes away with the feel this place reeks of money.

Also, if any one who has been to Richmond comes away with the feel this place reeks of money.

Yeah, that's pretty surprising. They must have some wealthy benefactors, ie big tobacco probably. Or maybe the missing confederate gold isn't missing after all?

Al, did you go yesterday?

Yeah, that's pretty surprising. They must have some wealthy benefactors, ie big tobacco probably. Or maybe the missing confederate gold isn't missing after all?

Al, did you go yesterday?

No, would have involved an over night somewhere. Wife had to put up with a Saint Louis weekend of games last weekend. I don't know she would put up with trip to Richmond so close to that. Will miss Charlotte where I can go and come back the same day. Thinking about the Barclays Ctr. Have relatives in Brooklyn and Queens who may let me crash at :rolleyes: Larry, are you going to give a wait and see depending on the location if we make it to the Dance?

No, would have involved an over night somewhere. Wife had to put up with a Saint Louis weekend of games last weekend. I don't know she would put up with trip to Richmond so close to that. Will miss Charlotte where I can go and come back the same day. Thinking about the Barclays Ctr. Have relatives in Brooklyn and Queens who may let me crash at :rolleyes: Larry, are you going to give a wait and see depending on the location if we make it to the Dance?

Yes, for sure I'd make the Dayton trip. Nothing west of the Mississippi. What I'm really hoping for is the final 4 in ATL. My daughter lives there and my son in law has assured me he could get tickets from one of his stockbroker friends. Of course that's a pretty big hope, but one can dream, right?

I have no problem with Richmond entering the discussion - well I do have a problem if it affects SLU - they make more sense before VCU. Th problem with Richmond is that they do not carry the basketball pedigree that VCU does. I see them as another Dayton. I have always thought Dayton could easily be the odd man out so the same could be said about Richmond. Richmond and Mooney have not had great recent years either. The number of sports a school offers may be a problem for them rather than a help - all the other C7 schools west of Georgetown problem could care less about sending more non revenue sports on a long trip.Yes, Richmond has lots of money - old money.

Geography is over-rated. Something nice, a big cost saving, etc. but not determinative. Would SLU join the new Big East on the condition that they played in the Eastern Division? I say yes. Same with X, Dayton, Butler, etc.

Mizzou joined the SEC and was put in the Eastern Division. In short, it happens all the time. IMO, it's more important to get the right school than to offer a lesser school which might be a better geographical fit.

Geography is the one thing I don't get about Richmond. If you add Butler and X then you've got 4 Midwest schools; MU, RuePaul, Butler, and X. So if you expand to 10, which I don't think Fox likes because they want more markets, you have 6 EC schools and 4 MW's. Now if they go 12 it's ok for two divisions E and W. Add SLU and Creighton to make up the W division. Sorry, DU, you're too close to X.

Richmond is a great choice because it fits the profile of the other schools and is located in the east. The big football revenue schools are going geography crazy, but it makes a lot more dollars and academic sense to reduce travel with a collection of a private school basketball conference. The C7 needs another east coast team to expand to 12 and keep the geography balanced. This results in 2 beautiful travel easy divisions and an overall Sagarin rating of 81.16, which would make it the 4th best conference if all of the teams were in it today. Creighton and other mentioned schools are just too far away when you consider all sports, though it could be picked up in an expansion to 16 teams. Here is the new C-ish 12; in Sagarin ratings order:

East Division:
18 Georgetown
48 Villanova
63 Providence
70 St. John’s
98 Richmond
104 Seton Hall

Mid-West Division:
19 Marquette
30 St. Louis
34 Butler
65 Dayton
83 Xavier
143 DePaul.

I would love to see the Bills playing each school in the division home and way each year and play each east team once a year for a 16 game conference schedule.

I can see why the weight of this conference would cause our holy father to doubt he should continue as the spiritual leader of the Church league. Predictably the new pope will not be a Jesuit.