Floyd Irons pulls his team off the floor!

I was at the Skyhawks game in Cedar Rapids yesterday and Floyd pull his team off the floor. Didn't he do that in the State Finals about 15 years ago.

Cedar Rapids River Raiders wins 38-22. I think that was the score. Midway thru the 2nd quarter the coach of the St. Louis team took his team and WALKED off the court, forfeiting the game. He said he was tired of the River Raiders getting calls and called Coach Joerger to halfcourt and said he was taking his team and leaving!

His butt should be fired!

one time is too much and now he does it again? imo, unless there is some circumstances that you havent made us aware of, this should be the end of floyd irons coaching career period. someone that sets that kind of example with that kind of action does not need to be teaching high school kids let alone guiding a professional franchise.

Face it, Floyd is a p!ss poor loser. I mean he isn't the first coach to get a bad call or two from the zebras and you don't see other coaches pulling their teams off the floor. He's another one of these Legends in his own mind coaches' and there are a slect few of them around.

http://www.crriverraiders.com/home.asp

River Raiders Add Win to Win Streak and Stay Unbeaten at Home

Cedar Rapids, IA (May 9, 2004) The Cedar Rapids River Raiders continue to provide top quality basketball as well as entertainment for families to enjoy even if the opposing team wants to forfeit the game.

Saturday night in front of 2,670, River Raider fans witnessed an event that has never taken place in the USBL 19 year existence. The St. Louis Skyhawks walked off the court and decided not to return to finish the game in the second period with a little over 6 minutes left to go in the 2nd quarter. It was a decision made by St. Louis Skyhawks Head Coach Floyd Irons, which was too bad for the Skyhawks players that wanted to finish the game.

“We would like to thank the fans that came out to see a great game tonight between the River Raiders and the Skyhawksâ€, Barry S. Smith, President and CEO of the Cedar Rapids River Raiders said. “It is unfortunate that a person can make one single decision for everyone and not worry about the ramifications it can make to a team, its players, the city and everyone that is involved. I’m absolutely appalled by this decision made by their Head Coach and I am confident that the USBL League Office will take appropriate action with the St. Louis Skyhawks organization.â€

The River Raiders would like to offer those who were at the game another opportunity to enjoy River Raiders basketball as it should be enjoyed. The organization would like to offer the following. If you were in attendance for the game Saturday night, please bring your ticket stub to the U.S. Cellular Box Office. There you will be able to exchange your ticket stubs for another game during the 2004 inaugural season of your choosing.

“We hope fans realize this is a very uncommon occurrence and apologize to those who came down to see the two teams play, “ Smith said.

What an embaressment he is. I will be very dissappointed if he remains the coach. I will still probably still go to see a couple of games to watch Justin play ... but Floyd Irons gets no respect from me.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

but hearing him and DJ constantly whine about the officiating on the Sunday night show is quite embarrassing. Unfortunately, I haven't been to any of the games yet, so I can't comment on the officiating quality. However, Irons has shown a pattern of not accepting responsibility when things don't go right. Great coach, but don't care for the examples he's setting.

this is exactly why nobody with a brain took the notion of him interviewing for the slu job when lorenzo left very seriously. it made for good talk show fodder, but that was about it. could you see that happening in the middle of a game in freedom hall or the shoe.

bad boyz for life

This is inexcusable behavior. Kids need to know that life isn't always fair. You're not always going to get the correct call. The key is being able to rise above adversity and overcome it.

Demetrius Johnson had Floyd on his radio show this evening. Not a word mentioned how coach quit on his team last night. Nothing. They briefly covered the NBA playoffs and how the Skyhawks won their first game of the season earlier in the week. Remarkable. Even funnier, they talked about trying to make the playoffs. Last I checked, they are 1-9. They play about 30 regular season games. Yeah, good luck making postseason.

>It would be interesting to see him respond to Floyd's

>actions. If you do, let us know what he says.

I choose not to speak with the man. I tune in for the few bits of sports information I can absorb. Occasionally, the show will book

a good guest or two on Sunday nights.

Irons made his team look like idiots. YOu have to listen to the coach,but how many of his players you think actually wanted to walk off the court. Floyd pull this stunt about 15 years ago in the stae finals b/c he said the refs were making bad calls. He quit onhis team and the organization, if the owners don't do anything there out of there mind. Replace him with a coach that has experince coaching pros not high school players. I think that is one of the dumbest things I have seen a coach do. Maybe he gets all the calls in HS but this pro ball learn how to coach it or get out

Floyd Irons stepping down has as much chance of happening as Floyd Irons getting a college job in his life.

"Geogetown couldn't beat DeSmet at DeSmet," said Floyd in the Post back in the day after yet another loss. His kids were rattled in pre-game warmups by the crowd.

Final Four 1990....his team had no chance of winning and he was booted for multiple technicals in the semifinals.

Any time one of Floyd's teams gets down big, which isn't often...he panicks and can't stand the embarrassment. This from a guy who repeatedly runs oup the score late in games.

Great coach...head case.

Ahhh Floyd is back baby, just a matter of time.

if Floyd Irons EVER coaches in the USBL again. This immature act will probably cost him a college job, too.

The only way he'll come back is if he issues a public apology and we all know that isn't going to happen.

what college in their right mind would you be thinking would hire him for anything short of a routine maintenance job?

Interesting take by Claiborne on KFNS this afternoon-while gently chiding Irons for taking his team off the floor his real purpose seemed to be correcting those who appear (to Mike) to be jumping on Floyd for his actions (and of course Billiken Bob was supportive of Claiborne's take).

Mike and Bob---This is a serious offense by a coach compounded by the fact that it is the second time for Floyd. Irons probably thought he could do this since he got away with it the first time with the MO State Highschool people letting his team play the next game in the state tourney.

"college" was in reference to Floyd's campaigning years ago for the SLU job. Tounge and cheek...we all know he never had a chance back then as a realistic candidate.

I am waiting for my friend Bernie Miklasz to write about both sides. He is always quick with the pro Floyd article....well how about one covering both sides?

bernie also strongly came out against floyd's act at his pressbox messageboard.

Saw in this morning's Post that Polk was the scholar-athlete from Vashon ( as Meyer was at Borgia). In Polk's capsule he cites Irons as a Role Model-sure hope Polk doesn't pull a Floyd Irons/Melvin Robinson Vashon type early exit. Let's see more of the A. Bonner stick-to-it-ness personality. It is nice that Polk admires his coach just so he doesn't admire ALL of Irons' traits.