1 stat in the RI game

The Wiz

52.6%

That is the % that RI shot from beyond the arc. For those that read my posts you know this is a stat I focus on...opponent's 3 pt shooting %........

52.6%

Way too high. I like to see 35% or less. Why? Because that is what RM focused on and this is an RM team. Where did 35 come from? RM knew that the best teams in the country shot 40% and by defending against the 3 specifically, you should be able to cut the % to 35 or less. In the case of RI, a team that averages 33%, he would have targeted 28% or less....or 5 less baskets made.....which knocks off 15 points....which pretty much equals the spread. By targeting the 3, RM's goal was not only to cut the % down but to discourage the other team from shooting as many 3's .

52.6%

Way to high for an RM team. If the team is not coached as an RM team then we will continue to struggle.

I'm more inclined to agree that the team failed to limit 3pt attempts, and allowed to many open three chances on scrambles. I wonder if RI's reputation as a severely flawed team, even Hurley says that, got in our guys heads. And clearly someone on the coaching staff screwed up when scouting Mumford. He got way to much space throughout the game.

As for 3pt % made, Pomeroy has made a fairly strong arguement against focusing on that. http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/defense_has_little_control_over_opponents_3p/

I have noticed that when RL gets involved in a switch, he ends up in no mans land as a defender. We were up by three, he doesn't get out to defend the three, too much room and he is out of position if the shot is missed. It was toward the end of the game and our first thought should have defend the three. Absolutely horrible defense. Can someone please work with him on how to defend. I understand he is not quick, but please he can do much better than that.

I'm more inclined to agree that the team failed to limit 3pt attempts, and allowed to many open three chances on scrambles. I wonder if RI's reputation as a severely flawed team, even Hurley says that, got in our guys heads. And clearly someone on the coaching staff screwed up when scouting Mumford. He got way to much space throughout the game.

As for 3pt % made, Pomeroy has made a fairly strong arguement against focusing on that.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/defense_has_little_control_over_opponents_3p/

I am aware of the KenPom research and it is generally correct. However, I am saying RM would strongly disagree and tried to build teams to defend against the 3....and for the most part RM was pretty successful. He was imo an exception to the rule.

An interesting note .....in the last 2 RI games ...Char and SLU.....here is RI's 3pt shooting %

1st half

Char....50%....3 of 6

SLU.....50%....4 of 8

2nd half

Char.....0%......0 for 11

SLU......54%....6 for 11

Char makes the adjustment...we don't.

It wasn't one thing that beat us, it was combination of

-Rhode Island played like they had nothing to lose

-We let them get into our heads (see double technical*, Loe elbow**)

-too often, too late getting out to contest 3s

-repeatedly got caught napping on backdoor cuts

-other than Kwamain and Cody, completely out of synch on offense

-too many second chances allowed

*words cannot describe the level of incompetence by the officials who all inexplicably left the players unwatched for 10+ seconds as Rhode Island stirred up , they then jump in late and haphazardly charge Evans with a technical (his second nonsensical double foul that possession) even though it was Remekun who was involved

**Loe was fouled. One official was calling the foul on Rhode Island, but because Loe swung that elbow in frustration, they called that instead. So instead of being up 7 shooting 1 and 1, they get 2 shots (both made) and the ball (made jumper) and a 7-9 point game become a 3 point game just like that. SLU never led by more than 3 the rest of the game. HUGE SWING as from that point forward Rhode Island believed they could win.

pretty sure the new rule with elbows to the head prevail. automatically the foul on the elbower and also fragrant. the refs were bad, but they got the elbow call right. now if they had called the foul on the little pest prior to the elbow, i wouldnt have argued with that.

My favorite stat:

Head Coaches who inexplicably and hilariously fell on their ass because they were being too demonstrative on the sideline:

Rhode Island: 1

SLU: 0

Please tell me people saw this

SLU scores 80 points + Cody with 21 points, 4/6 from 3 + Mitchell with 29 points, 6 steals, 7 assists, 7/10 from 3 + SLU shoots 14/26(53.8%) from 3 + Loe with 7 points, 7 boards, 3 assists + SLU with more points in paint than URI + SLU with more second chance points than URI + SLU with more fast break points than URI + SLU with more bench points than URI + SLU with more made FGs than URI + URI with 7 more TOs than SLU = SLU Loss

One stat....82 points allowed

Where was the shut down D we saw against New Mexico???? The points allowed was a combination of lucky/great shooting by URI and lack of defensive aggressiveness by SLU. Hopefully this loss lights a fire under their a$$e$ and we get a couple of road wins with the shut down defense we all know they have in them.