A-10 Men's Basketball Legends

RUBillsFan

Ed would not have been bad, considering Red is in there. But no real argument here. In today's ten-second sound bite, ESPN flahs drive world, even AB is ancient history. I'm surprised St.Joe's wasn't Jack Ramsey.

Well .. not only Lanier as BAB points out, and Ramsey for St. Joe's and Ed for us .. some others to think of would be ....

Donnie May and a plethora of others at Dayton as well as Tyrone Hill, Byron Larkin and Gillen at Xavier. I suspect this will be addressed in future inductions. There wil always be debates over lists no matter the subject. It's nice to see others recongized outside of the usual suspects.

What horsepoop. AB never played in the A-10. (And will he be removed when SLU leaves next year?)

I can understand the A-10 wanting to have every team represented in this thing and having 4 relatively new teams in the league means there are inevitably going to be "legends" that did not play/coach in the A-10.

I think it is cool they are doing something like this and support it, but it does seem a bit contrived and maybe they are doing it to try to establish some kind of unity/bonds between all of the programs in light of all of the realignment talks. You can't leave the conference, look at the history you have with us, so and so is in the Hall of Legends. I doubt that will mean squat when more money comes knocking on the door though.

Is that list correct that Hinkle coached Butler from 1926 through 1970 (with a few years break in the 40's)???? I guess its possble, but that's really long time.

Per Wikipedia, it is correct. Also, Hinkle coached the football and baseball teams off and on (mostly on) during that time as well. Can you imagine that happening today in 2 sports let alone 3?

I'm not sure who the longest tenured coach ever is in D-I, but Hinkle at least has Dean Smith of UNC beat (1961-97)

What horsepoop. AB never played in the A-10. (And will he be removed when SLU leaves next year?)

I can understand the A-10 wanting to have every team represented in this thing and having 4 relatively new teams in the league means there are inevitably going to be "legends" that did not play/coach in the A-10.

I think it is cool they are doing something like this and support it, but it does seem a bit contrived and maybe they are doing it to try to establish some kind of unity/bonds between all of the programs in light of all of the realignment talks. You can't leave the conference, look at the history you have with us, so and so is in the Hall of Legends. I doubt that will mean squat when more money comes knocking on the door though.

Exactly.

Kevin Lisch is a Billiken who played in the A-10 who could be honored, but great Billikens like Love, Hughes, Highmark, Claggett, Bonner, Douglass, Gray, Burns, Wiley, and Macauley didn't. But Conference USA, Great Midwest, MCC, and Missouri Valley derivatives could honor those greats, with asterisks.

Ed would not have been bad, considering Red is in there. But no real argument here. In today's ten-second sound bite, ESPN flahs drive world, even AB is ancient history. I'm surprised St.Joe's wasn't Jack Ramsey.

Speaking of legends, at the last Billiken club meeting, Chris May talked about an alumni tribute at the Rhode Island game. On Friday evening there will be a dinner with many past Billikens. One notable who will be at the dinner, but can't stay for the game, is Bob Ferry. When talking about great Billiken players, it's easy to focus on Bonner and MaCauley, but Bob Ferry, Dick Boushka, and Ray Steiner were All Americans after Ed MaCauley, though not 1st team.

Exactly.

Kevin Lisch is a Billiken who played in the A-10 who could be honored, but great Billikens like Love, Hughes, Highmark, Claggett, Bonner, Douglass, Gray, Burns, Wiley, and Macauley didn't. But Conference USA, Great Midwest, MCC, and Missouri Valley derivatives could honor those greats, with asterisks.

Given the circumstances, Majerus would probably be the best "A-10" pick for SLU. He had a huge impact and actually coached in the A-10.

Lisch would be a good "A-10" choice, but isn't likely to make it to be honored because he is still playing in Australia. I have a feeling that is part of the reason Bonner was chosen. Isn't he working for the Knicks in NY? If so, it will be a short trip to the Barclay's Center for him to be honored and SLU will be one of or perhaps the only team to actually have the guy they are honoring in attendance.

Is that list correct that Hinkle coached Butler from 1926 through 1970 (with a few years break in the 40's)???? I guess its possble, but that's really long time.
Adolph Rupp was at Kentucky from 1930-1972.Yep, that's a long time.Ed Diddle was at Western Ky. from 1922-1964. Takes awhile to rack up 750+ wins.