6 of 6

The Wiz

Nope.

Think.

How does that help? He is just predicting the point spread based on published power ratings from Vegas and other gambling sources.

If you look at one gambling type power rating system (below), SLU is 81, NM is 82. Then give SLU 4 pts for home court. So SLU - 3.

So The Wiz says SLU by 3 1/2. Great.

There are a few different ones, they are all pretty close. The line Monday will be SLU by 3, 3 1/2, 4, 4 1/2, or so barring injuries etc. SLU is perceived as a good home team by the public and a lot of gamblers will expect a letdown by NM after their big win, so the bookmakers will vary a bit.

Again, The Wiz saying 3 1/2 does not help, he is just predicting the pointspread.

Now, if he says SLU by 10, or NM by 7, then he is doing something.

Anyone can look up the LV power ratings and give out an approximate point spread 3-4 days before the game.

Vegas gambling power ratings have been available for decades... now all over the web.

http://www.statfox.com/cbb/power/

What is your point? Think most of the board enjoys the Wiz's posts. Carry on. How does he help? Like is he supposed to affect the outcome?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

Think.

How does that help? He is just predicting the point spread based on published power ratings from Vegas and other gambling sources.

If you look at one gambling type poweAs for MB if youbvare looking for me to pick Gramblingas the Natr rating system...it shou (below), SLU is 81, NM is 82. Then give SLU 4 pts for home court. So SLU - 3if KUplays

So The Wiz says SLU by 3 1/2. Great.

There are a few different ones, they are all pretty close. The line Monday will be SLU by 3, 3 1/2, 4, 4 1/2, or so barring injuries etc. SLU is perceived as a good home team by the public and a lot of gamblers will expect a letdown by NM after their big win, so the bookmakers will vary a bit.

Again, The Wiz saying 3 1/2 does not help, he is just predicting the pointspread.

Now, if he says SLU by 10, or NM by 7, then he is doing something.

Anyone can look up the LV power ratings and give out an approximate point spread 3-4 days before the game.

Vegas gambling power ratings have been available for decades... now all over the web.

http://wwwso ac.statfox.com/cbb/power/

So according to the power ratings you are looking at....if KU plays Duke on a neutral floor KU wins by 3...hmmm I am showing Duke by 3...see if you can fix that.. Oh you can't ...nevermind....just one example of many differences. DaLove is correct ...I use a true point spread...when it differs from Vegas you have a chance to make some money...MB if you are looking for me to pick Grambling as a Final Four team...not going to happen....my system picks the most likely outcomes...sometimes it will match or be close to Vegas... Sometimes not...Many times there is no line such as the Bills vs UT-M

Btw..is anyone else having trouble posting...I have had to switch to my phone to post.

If you cannot get the point, then I guess I cannot help you.

Your point is that Whiz does nothing special, and that he predicts close to what Vegas will eventually predict the line to be before the game tips. Would you like him to predict what the exact score would be? Not sure what the gripe is. Take it for what it's worth.

Your point is that Whiz does nothing special, and that he predicts close to what Vegas will eventually predict the line to be before the game tips. Would you like him to predict what the exact score would be? Not sure what the gripe is. Take it for what it's worth.

Keep thinking.

Some day, you will get the point. I assume you have never wagered on games to any significant extent and therefore do not understand the dynamics involved. The Wiz nimbly avoided the issue.

Yeah, right.

Keep thinking.

Some day, you will get the point. I assume you have never wagered on games to any significant extent and therefore do not understand the dynamics involved. The Wiz nimbly avoided the issue.

Yeah, right.

You're right. I'm a 20-something sports fan and have never (EVER) wagered on games to any significant extent and, therefore, do not understand the dynamics involved. Please, enlighten me. I'm grasping at straws. Gambling.. it's easy?

Also, your post is nothing but fluffy BS. Someday, er, in the next hour when you respond, I hope you hit me with the actual point.

I'll be over waiting over here, thinking. Unless I go to bed. In which case I will resume my thinking in the morning.

MB,

Vegas sets the line on what people will bet both sides on. I'm sure you know this. This is basic betting stuff.

What Wiz does has nothing to do with what the public thinks. If his numbers say a team will win by 20 and the public thinks they will win by three, Wiz says they will win by 20. If bookies think that Duke will beat Kansas, but know that the public thinks Kansas will win, then KU will be the favorite.

If your gripe is that he doesn't come up with his own spreads, then I would say while you are most likely wrong, that would at least be a legitimate gripe. But if your complaint is that the numbers dont differ much from Vegas well then I'm not sure what to tell you. The numbers are what they are and the point spread that you can bet on has no impact on that. If they are close, then so be it.

MB,

Vegas sets the line on what people will bet both sides on. I'm sure you know this. This is basic betting s

tuff.

What Wiz does has nothing to do with what the public thinks. If his numbers say a team will win by 20 and

the public thinks they will win by three, Wiz says they will win by 20. If bookies think that Duke will beat Kansas, but know that the public thinks Kansas will win, then KU will be the favorite.

If your gripe is that he doesn't come up with his own spreads, then I would say while you are most likely wrong, that would at least be a legitimate gripe. But if your complaint is that the numbers dont differ much from Vegas well then I'm not sure what to tell you. The numbers are what they are and the point spread that you can bet on has no impact on that. If they are close, then so be it.

+1

Keep thinking.

Yeah, right.

I get the point. The point is that you come on this board for one reason: to find someone to argue with.

MB,

Vegas sets the line on what people will bet both sides on. I'm sure you know this. This is basic betting stuff.

What Wiz does has nothing to do with what the public thinks. If his numbers say a team will win by 20 and the public thinks they will win by three, Wiz says they will win by 20. If bookies think that Duke will beat Kansas, but know that the public thinks Kansas will win, then KU will be the favorite.

Nope.

My observation is that he sets a line 3-4 days before the lines come out, and they are about the same as the actual lines within a point or a point and a half when they come out. So what?

This can be done by looking at Vegas betting power ratings. Then the actual lines come out and Vegas tweaks it a bit and there you go.

The Wiz will say "SLU - 14" and the actual line will be 15 or 13.5, as expected, when it comes out. And yes it varies a point or so book to book in Vegas and offshore.

So what he does is easy. Look a the web.

If he was saying SLU - 22 and the line was 14 three days later, and SLU wins by more thatn 14, then he is making credible knowedgeable predictions.

But he isnt. His is just predicting the lines a few days early.

Nope.

My observation is that he sets a line 3-4 days before the lines come out, and they are about the same as the actual lines within a point or a point and a half when they come out. So what?

This can be done by looking at Vegas betting power ratings. Then the actual lines come out and Vegas tweaks it a bit and there you go.

The Wiz will say "SLU - 14" and the actual line will be 15 or 13.5, as expected, when it comes out. And yes it varies a point or so book to book in Vegas and offshore.

So what he does is easy. Look a the web.

If he was saying SLU - 22 and the line was 14 three days later, and SLU wins by more thatn 14, then he is making credible knowedgeable predictions.

But he isnt. His is just predicting the lines a few days early.

Hmm... You know nothing of me...what or how I do things...You say I post before Vegas...Hmm...Maybe they copy me ...maybe I work for the Sports Book.. You know for someone who knows so much , you know very little. I saw the power rankings you follow. They have KU on top ...I can think of a half a dozen other teams I would put number 1. But this isn't about my system vs the one you follow. I post on here for recreational purposes. People can use the info any way they would like or they can ignore it. This info is for the fan ...mainly to evaluate the strength of our opponents. If I didn't do this I would have no idea if N Tex is better than UT-M. or if the UW loss was a bad one that would hurt us down the line....thus the conversion of the numbers to a report card system....It is easy to see a B- is better than a C ,,,But losing to a C is not the end of the world.

As a long time season ticket holder, I started to do handicapping while the Bills were still at the Checkerdome. I use to bring my papers to the game (no mobile devices) and fans would gather not only to see what my line on the Bills was but on what conference opponents were doing. There was much less info back then. Now anyone (even you) can go to the computer and look up other peoples stuff. In some ways it is more difficult in that you have to filter out a lot of meaningless info,.

But all this stuff I just wrote means nothing to you. You want me to predict Bills by 20 over New Mex and if it happens you will be a believer. I really don't care whether you are a believer. My system doesn't try to pick out events that are 3 standard deviations away ,,,,It is trying to pick out the most likely outcome. An insurance company knows there will be some people who live to 100 but it doesn;t base its model on that ....it bases it on the average life span ...the most likely outcome. You want me to find the guy who will live to 100. Not going to happen.

I do appreciate your generosity in trying to protect innocent and naive Bills fans. I don't know what they did before they knew you,... Probably were taken advantage of by cunning X fans.

I know none of this will change your mind, Perhaps the spreads and other info is not for you. If it bothers you ....don't read it.

Wiz by 73 over MB

Hmm... You know nothing of me...what or how I do things...You say I post before Vegas...Hmm...Maybe they copy me ...maybe I work for the Sports Book.. You know for someone who knows so much , you know very little. I saw the power rankings you follow. They have KU on top ...I can think of a half a dozen other teams I would put number 1. But this isn't about my system vs the one you follow. I post on here for recreational purposes. People can use the info any way they would like or they can ignore it. This info is for the fan ...mainly to evaluate the strength of our opponents. If I didn't do this I would have no idea if N Tex is better than UT-M. or if the UW loss was a bad one that would hurt us down the line....thus the conversion of the numbers to a report card system....It is easy to see a B- is better than a C ,,,But losing to a C is not the end of the world.

As a long time season ticket holder, I started to do handicapping while the Bills were still at the Checkerdome. I use to bring my papers to the game (no mobile devices) and fans would gather not only to see what my line on the Bills was but on what conference opponents were doing. There was much less info back then. Now anyone (even you) can go to the computer and look up other peoples stuff. In some ways it is more difficult in that you have to filter out a lot of meaningless info,.

But all this stuff I just wrote means nothing to you. You want me to predict Bills by 20 over New Mex and if it happens you will be a believer. I really don't care whether you are a believer. My system doesn't try to pick out events that are 3 standard deviations away ,,,,It is trying to pick out the most likely outcome. An insurance company knows there will be some people who live to 100 but it doesn;t base its model on that ....it bases it on the average life span ...the most likely outcome. You want me to find the guy who will live to 100. Not going to happen.

I do appreciate your generosity in trying to protect innocent and naive Bills fans. I don't know what they did before they knew you,... Probably were taken advantage of by cunning X fans.

I know none of this will change your mind, Perhaps the spreads and other info is not for you. If it bothers you ....don't read it.

Wiz by 73 over MB

Wiz by 73 over MB

original.gif

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Wiz" data-cid="333810" data-time="1356892835"><p>

Hmm... You know nothing of me...what or how I do things...You say I post before Vegas...Hmm...Maybe they copy me ...maybe I work for the Sports Book.. You know for someone who knows so much , you know very little. I saw the power rankings you follow. They have KU on top ...I can think of a half a dozen other teams I would put number 1. But this isn't about my system vs the one you follow. I post on here for recreational purposes. People can use the info any way they would like or they can ignore it. This info is for the fan ...mainly to evaluate the strength of our opponents. If I didn't do this I would have no idea if N Tex is better than UT-M. or if the UW loss was a bad one that would hurt us down the line....thus the conversion of the numbers to a report card system....It is easy to see a B- is better than a C ,,,But losing to a C is not the end of the world.<br />

<br />

As a long time season ticket holder, I started to do handicapping while the Bills were still at the Checkerdome. I use to bring my papers to the game (no mobile devices) and fans would gather not only to see what my line on the Bills was but on what conference opponents were doing. There was much less info back then. Now anyone (even you) can go to the computer and look up other peoples stuff. In some ways it is more difficult in that you have to filter out a lot of meaningless info,.<br />

<br />

But all this stuff I just wrote means nothing to you. You want me to predict Bills by 20 over New Mex and if it happens you will be a believer. I really don't care whether you are a believer. My system doesn't try to pick out events that are 3 standard deviations away ,,,,It is trying to pick out the most likely outcome. An insurance company knows there will be some people who live to 100 but it doesn;t base its model on that ....it bases it on the average life span ...the most likely outcome. You want me to find the guy who will live to 100. Not going to happen.<br />

<br />

I do appreciate your generosity in trying to protect innocent and naive Bills fans. I don't know what they did before they knew you,... Probably were taken advantage of by cunning X fans.<br />

<br />

I know none of this will change your mind, Perhaps the spreads and other info is not for you. If it bothers you ....don't read it.<br />

<br />

Wiz by 73 over MB</p></blockquote>

KO punch by Wiz. Good stuff.

He gives out the point spreads a few days early. Easy. Look at the gambling power ratings. They predict SLU by 3 over NM. Some vary a bit.

The Wiz says SLU by 3 1/2. So what? It will be 2 1/2- 4 1/2 when Vegas and offshore put the real lines up.

The kids on this board eat it up. They think there are algorithms, etc, involved. BIG computer analysis. They just don't get it. So be it.

Bills win by 14.

Wiz said by 3 1/2.

I win the argument. Again.

Somewhere tonight, a village is in search if its idiot...and we, unfortunately, have him here...again...

MB73 please go back to your village.

Nice post. Lot of class. And very witty, that is, what, maybe sophomore at DeSmet high school level stuff? Impressive. What, are you one of The Wiz's friends?

He puts the line up a few days early (avail on the internet Vegas power rating) then says he predicted the game.

Bizzle Boy.. correct me if I am wrong... all of his lines are within a point or point and a half of the Vegas lines. So what?

He has never, for example, said "SLU by 14 over New Mexico".

Though last year he did stick his neck out and say we were 13th or so in the NCAA the last 3 weeks of the season, give or take. Wrong.

http://www.statfox.com/cbb/power/

(these vary but are pretty close, are updated inconsistently, this one gives 4 points for home court, some do it team by team, SLU for example might be higher, some only 3 pts)