Dino Gaudio

ACE

Not sure if this name has been mentioned, but what about Dino Gaudio? He is a Skip Prosser disciple. I have heard Majerus talk fondly about Prosser and Guadio. In fact, Majerus turned to Wake for our DOB

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=205500312

He has head coaching experience. Didn't really do a bad job at Wake. He was a long-time assistant at Xavier and knows how to win in the A-10. Gaudio talked in glowing terms about SLU throughout last season. I would think this opportunity would appeal to him. Plus, presumably he would be available. Another plus is that we would maintain that connection with ESPN. We have seen how that helps generate publicity. Hiring him now either as a top assistant for one year or the top guy right away, would give the program some certainty and help us move forward with recruiting.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on Gaudio. I'm a Wake fan here in North Carolina and Gaudio is an awful offensive coach. He had Jeff Teague, James Johnson, Al Farouq Aminu, and Ish Smith on the same squad and could only win one ACC or NCAA Tourney game with them. There's a reason why he's been out of coaching for two years with no nibbles. He can recruit but he'll waste more talent than any coach ever.

There was also a lack of discipline on his teams with off court problems and recruiting kids who couldn't cut it in the classroom. Stay away from Gaudio.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on Gaudio. I'm a Wake fan here in North Carolina and Gaudio is an awful offensive coach. He had Jeff Teague, James Johnson, Al Farouq Aminu, and Ish Smith on the same squad and could only win one ACC or NCAA Tourney game with them. There's a reason why he's been out of coaching for two years with no nibbles. He can recruit but he'll waste more talent than any coach ever.

There was also a lack of discipline on his teams with off court problems and recruiting kids who couldn't cut it in the classroom. Stay away from Gaudio.

How have things turned out at Wake since Gaudio was fired? You complain about Gaudio as an offensive coach yet Wake was 228 in the country last season in offense. Off the court issues with players? It seems our future hall of fame coach had some off the court issues with his players during his tenor at SLU. Just saying.

How have things turned out at Wake since Gaudio was fired? You complain about Gaudio as an offensive coach yet Wake was 228 in the country last season in offense. Off the court issues with players? It seems our future hall of fame coach had some off the court issues with his players during his tenor at SLU. Just saying.

It doesn't sound like it has been going very well at Wake since Gaudio got fired.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/catId/Team~41~154

I would't have a problem with Gaudio being a canidate for the job.

I just think they are going to start out trying to land a bigger fish at first. Hell, they tried to get Pitino before they went the Rickma route last time. I think they try to go after guys like Buzz Williams, Cuonzo, Kevin Stallings, etc before they expand the search.

I would't have a problem with Gaudio being a canidate for the job.

I just think they are going to start out trying to land a bigger fish at first. Hell, they tried to get Pitino before they went the Rickma route last time. I think they try to go after guys like Buzz Williams, Cuonzo, Kevin Stallings, etc before they expand the search.

Cuonzo? Buzz? Stallings? Cmon SLU isn't stealing a current coach from a BCS school. Yes, RM was a big fish, however, his circumstances were pretty unique. He was out of coaching due to health not due to his lack of success

Cuonzo? Buzz? Stallings? Cmon SLU isn't stealing a current coach from a BCS school. Yes, RM was a big fish, however, his circumstances were pretty unique. He was out of coaching due to health not due to his lack of success

Agree. That report of SLU supposedly making a run at Pitino however many years ago shows just how out of touch with reality the administration can be at times.

RM was a very unique circumstance and quite frankly he was a bargain at $1 million a year. The going price for newly hired BCS coaches seems to be $1.5 million and none of them have his experience. There is no way we are getting some big time BCS coach, especially when you factor in that we aren't willing to pay above market prices for our coaches.

I wasn't stating that they would steal one of those coaches. I do think they will try to make a run at those guys and maybe some others. They have plenty of time to send out feelers and to line up money for a new coach. This will probably be Biondi's last chance to put another stamp on the school in a very public way. I think they try to make a splash again. I doubt they succeed, but I think they will try.

I wasn't stating that they would steal one of those coaches. I do think they will try to make a run at those guys and maybe some others. They have plenty of time to send out feelers and to line up money for a new coach. This will probably be Biondi's last chance to put another stamp on the school in a very public way. I think they try to make a splash again. I doubt they suddeed, but I think they will try.

I mentioned this before, make a hard run at Stallings, maybe he wants to move closer to his home town, you would have to offer him a ton of money.

Agree. That report of SLU supposedly making a run at Pitino however many years ago shows just how out of touch with reality the administration can be at times.

RM was a very unique circumstance and quite frankly he was a bargain at $1 million a year. The going price for newly hired BCS coaches seems to be $1.5 million and none of them have his experience. There is no way we are getting some big time BCS coach, especially when you factor in that we aren't willing to pay above market prices for our coaches.

At the time of the hire, his salary was among the top 15 coaches. It wasn't a bargin then. The price has gone up dramatically since.

At the time of the hire, his salary was among the top 15 coaches. It wasn't a bargin then. The price has gone up dramatically since.

Agreed. But if Biondi doesn't like paying RM $1mm a year (with most of it coming directly from boosters) he sure isn't going to want to pay $2mm a year...

Personally, I think our best and most realistic approach is a guy who succeeded at a mid-major, moved up to a major and then got fired... kind of like Dan Monson. Look at the way he has built Long Beach State from nothing. That's why I was thinking about Gaudio, plus he would be available now. He did have some success at Wake and was not a complete failure. Somebody mentioned Jeff Capel. That is another one I would take a look at. Perhaps Todd Lickliter. I don't want an unproven assistant. I don't trust that we will pick the right one.

Agreed. But if Biondi doesn't like paying RM $1mm a year (with most of it coming directly from boosters) he sure isn't going to want to pay $2mm a year...

And ... one of the downsides to paying a head coach all that money is that we end up making up for it by going cheap on assts. Anyone know what X pays their assts? They seem to be able to lose HC's and just move on to the next guy no problem. I doubt you can do that unless you pay the asst's

I've said it before and I'll say it again .. SLU is a graveryard for coaches. Given the current coach's status and the uncertainty with his health, that statement was never meant as anything along the lighthearted vein but is much more grave now than before when I said it. My apologies for that.

This is nit a stepping stone place ala Xavier, Duke or even, heaven forbid, Dayton. Dayton? Yep -- Ollie Purnell parlayed it into Clemson then DePaul. Brian Gregory took it and used it to get to Georgia Tech. Even Jim O'Brien had stints with the Celtics and Sixers. We've had maybe two .... Randy Bennett who likely claims no ties to us and LoRo who went home to alma mater u. Up-and-coming coaches don't come here. And this is not a landing spot for guys like Pitino or Martin. Now Stallings .. that might be a special case ala Majerus in that it would be a homecoming IF he has any interest in that. I doubt it. And if Biondi and company balked at $1 mill for Rick, who I think is much more marketable than Kevin Stallings, he ain't going to buck up for someone "less" nationally known. Plus some already said he doesn't care about athletics so if that is true, expect him wanting to make a lasting mark in this area seems ludicrous. To me, this is where a national search committee, led by alumni and boosters who want the most for the unviersity, do the scaling work and then go off to May and Biondi with their list of recommendations. You couidl add a player or two to the committee. Then the trigger is pulled.

I think you have to be fair to Crews. What's his take on all this? Again, sitting behind the walls at Chaifetz, does he want the job and if so, put a premium on his one, interim season. Call it a job audition. Is Majerus out for good? Waiitng for that call may take a while, maybe not. Establish a fish or cut bait schedule. What's Biondi et. al willing to shell out? Another discussion. Maybe Gaudio doens't even want the job. If he (or someone like him did) and you got Crews and Majerus info in your pocket, you could hire now as kshoe has advocated. He could start doingis part while Crews closes out his part.

We all have said that Majerus was a special situation. Frankly, given the curse that seems to hang over this program, I think we are back to addressing the vacancy in a similar fashion and recognize that SLU doesn't seem to be NORMAL. And I really wish I knew why.

I wouldn't have a problem hiring a guy that went 27-21 in the ACC.

That's the rub. Given the budget restraint of Biondi (and the well publicized meddling of our dictatorial president in all aspect of the university) we have limited choices. a) An up and comer asst who has zero track record as an HC, b ) a guy who has had some success as an HC but is tainted for some reason (such as Gaudio) and c) an old HC with a nice but not great track record who is looking for one last stop (someone like Crews).

I've said it before and I'll say it again .. SLU is a graveryard for coaches. Given the current coach's status and the uncertainty with his health, that statement was never meant as anything along the lighthearted vein but is much more grave now than before when I said it. My apologies for that.

This is nit a stepping stone place ala Xavier, Duke or even, heaven forbid, Dayton. Dayton? Yep -- Ollie Purnell parlayed it into Clemson then DePaul. Brian Gregory took it and used it to get to Georgia Tech. Even Jim O'Brien had stints with the Celtics and Sixers. We've had maybe two .... Randy Bennett who likely claims no ties to us and LoRo who went home to alma mater u. Up-and-coming coaches don't come here. And this is not a landing spot for guys like Pitino or Martin. Now Stallings .. that might be a special case ala Majerus in that it would be a homecoming IF he has any interest in that. I doubt it. And if Biondi and company balked at $1 mill for Rick, who I think is much more marketable than Kevin Stallings, he ain't going to buck up for someone "less" nationally known. Plus some already said he doesn't care about athletics so if that is true, expect him wanting to make a lasting mark in this area seems ludicrous. To me, this is where a national search committee, led by alumni and boosters who want the most for the unviersity, do the scaling work and then go off to May and Biondi with their list of recommendations. You couidl add a player or two to the committee. Then the trigger is pulled.

I think you have to be fair to Crews. What's his take on all this? Again, sitting behind the walls at Chaifetz, does he want the job and if so, put a premium on his one, interim season. Call it a job audition. Is Majerus out for good? Waiitng for that call may take a while, maybe not. Establish a fish or cut bait schedule. What's Biondi et. al willing to shell out? Another discussion. Maybe Gaudio doens't even want the job. If he (or someone like him did) and you got Crews and Majerus info in your pocket, you could hire now as kshoe has advocated. He could start doingis part while Crews closes out his part.

We all have said that Majerus was a special situation. Frankly, given the curse that seems to hang over this program, I think we are back to addressing the vacancy in a similar fashion and recognize that SLU doesn't seem to be NORMAL. And I really wish I knew why.

Why would you hire him now and place recruiting restrictions on him?

Does hiring him now place recruiting restriction on him? I am unaware ...

What I'm saying is that if you know Crews is a one-and-doner, let him do his thing. Could you also augment that by interviewing for the replacement (if indeed Crews and Majerus are out) and put him to work concentrating mor eon the recruits an dno ton the game day stuff? I admit, it might be radical and unallowed for all I know but we see "coaches in waiting" all over the place.

Just a thought....because I think like kshoe that if we wait unti April, we will suffer in the long run.

Didn't Huggins get in trouble for recruiting while he was unemployed? RM was a fluke hire. I'd like to see us go after someone who's had success at a lower level mid major. Someone mentioned the Murray St HC. Randy Bennett (not likely to return as he's a WC guy). I'm not all that keen on the hot young AC du jour type. However, bringing back Harriman wouldn't upset me. He knows the system, players, and is a pretty good recruiter. I'll be curious to see how PM does this year at Loyola. Although, he's not exactly pushing anyone's hot button anymore.

My situation involves a coach already hired, not unemployed. I would think that's a huge difference although again I don't know if its legal.

I don't know that Harriman is the answer. He might be, he might not. I am leaning towards Whitesell and Crews not being the answer. So that must give Harriman a lead in my book in that scenario. But I don't get all warm and gushy when I think of Coach Harri on the bench. But, you have to start somewhere, I guess.

This program is nothing but weird in its coaching moves. Albrecht was a local CC guy. Coleman a local high school coach in the city. Ekker a real unethical hired gun. Grawer a local high school coach from the county with one year of experience at the D1 level. Spoon was a regional entity of low D1 experience. Romar came out of nowhere but would be as close to a national example of a young coach moving up as ever we've had. Soderberg was in the right place at the right itme, wasn't he on LoRo's staff for one year before the knock of opportunity by alma mater u moved Zo back to the NW? Then the aberration that was/is the Majerus hire.

Given that track record, god only knows where we going on this next one.