Community Clout

As Steve has already broached on this board, we are a community - of sorts. Do we have any visibility with the University or Athletic Department? I doubt it. I suggest that combine our contributions to the new arena as follows:

Make your check payable to SLU and date it 10/1/04; send it to whomever we will decide to hold the checks.

If you are a Billiken Club member and/or season ticket holder, note that, including your account number.

A condition of the contribution is that if PSLs are subsequently required, this contribution will be applied to your account.

The amount of your contribution will be anonymous on this board.

The total amount contributed will be noted on the board on a continuing basis.

The grand total will be presented to the school on 10/1/04 - a time when everyone is chomping at the bit for basketball news. Is anyone interested in doing this? Pros and cons?

While it sounds like a pretty good idea, I have to wonder how well it would work. I think many people in the athletic department, including Coach Soderberg, consider internet sites and their communities an annoyance, if not "the enemy." Once Brad found out I like to post on the internet, he decided he didn't want to engage in much conversation with me, and when he would see me, before I could say, "Hello," he would say, "No comment." I would like to be able to have a casual conversation with him without being distrusted.

I am sure there are some accountants on here that could figure a way for us to make a combined donation somehow. That way we make a statement as Billikenboard posters.

As to T Hicks point about the distrust of the internet message board by the AD and Coach. They need to realize that the internet can be used to their advantage, it is here to stay and we are the most supportive fans. The Whole Howard Dean Buzz was from Internet Support [he imploded or exploded himself]. This site is one of the most tame and accurate sites you will find.

it is my opinion that the board is being used by the billikens. too many instances of things that were said here and then reactions by saint louis university at billiken club meetings that answered comments or questions accordingly. coach soderberg may not be posting or reading, but someone close enough keeps those in power apprised and it is my guess participate to some degree in our discussions and comments.

there is nothing wrong with a "grapevine". and that is what the messageboards are really. you just have to be prudent and patient enough to sift through the thoughts and information to gleen the worthwhile stuff. and you have to pick your spots to "leak" the right morsels. i am betting they do it.

as to not outright acknowledging us, we are ahead of their time.

They did formally recognize Billikens.com when they honored Steve at one of the games the year before last. I'll bet they read the board as much as any of us.

When I introduced myself to Brad, he said to me he had a strict policy of not reading stuff written about him or his team. Especially on the internet. Him and I have had very few conversations over the years. Nothing that has lasted that long, our longest was maybe 2 minutes tops. But admitedly I haven't been around him much, I am around the AD people more from where I sit.

You just wonder if you knew for sure who read this board. I have assumed mostly that more than half the players read the board, whether they admit it to me or not. I am sorry, but anyone my age, at least I would, like to know what people are saying about me.

Steve

Did they say Billikens.com? I honestly do not remember. I really was appreciative of the Gesture, but I think they only called me the SluSignGuy.

With Billikens.com, one thing I love is that when SLU first made SLUBillikens.com, they said SLUBillikens.com all togther, now, I am pretty sure that they spell out S-L-U-Billikens.com, because originally I got about an e-mail or two a day about where Women's Volleyball info or some other sport info was.

Steve

I am 98% sure that they read this site...I would be stunned if they didn't. I have had too many conversations with people in the AD about things that pop up on this site. Also past experiences, and stories of what has happened at Billiken Club meetings are strong evidence that the people at West Pine. And I am A-Okay with it, in fact I encourage it, and I would just wish they would post. I seem to remember on TigerBoard, the MU's Athletic Department posted. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think this is a great medium for the AD to follow its most diehard fans. A lot of people read this board. 5186 Unique Vistors have been here in April. From that number, I would guess at least 2000 different people check out Billikens.com a month, because I for one use different computers to check it, so that adds to the "Unique Visitor" count.

Are they reading? Most likely. Will they admit it...I dunno.

Steve

I agree that this is one of the more tame sits out there. We have relatively little name calling or flaming. We praise the staff and players much more than we criticize them. I know first-hand that we have the smarts to screen and withhold facts and rumors that could be damaging to individuals associated with the program.

Contrast this board with Tigerboard, which has become an absolute mess. The draconian posts, constant flaming, and zero accountability on the Tigerboard has led to a level of censorship that has desroyed the entire purpose of a message board. If you post on Tigerboard with a SLU or KU moniker, you have about a 75% chance of having your poste deleted or modified regardless of the content.

Lots of hmmmmng, but nobody responded to the concept proposed. Let's say we present Woolard with a stack of checks on 10/1, or at midnite madness that amount to some significant sum, and state that these are from the Billiken worshippers on Steve's site - does that not make a statement, and open some eyes in the athletic department?

What is a significant sum? Say 1% of the total cost or $700,000. I doubt we would get 1/10th of 1% ($70,000).

I think there may be more symbolic ways to express our "community" status.

I have never been a big fan of dictating conditions to others when I really have very little at stake and certainly not for something like building an arena. This is not a social justice issue that requires sacrifice.

What might make a difference in the University's eyes is the action of the billikens.com community in something other than just plain athletic boosterism and tame message board banter.

I know that at the beginning of the school year SLU hosts a Make a Difference Day (or some other name) where members of the SLU community volunteer in the community around SLU doing any number of things that are considered socially beneficial.

The University prides itself on philanthropy and service. Joining an effort like this (with some publicity) would be well received. I'd be happy to join in that kind of effort.

I like the idea actually. I think it would be cool to have like a Billikens.com Locker (that cost 10,000).

But I am just nervous about the money situation, and points and what not. I personally would not like to be in charge of the money because I would have no idea what I was doing. Plus bringing money into things makes it hairy, and it probably wouldn't be a lot of my money. So that makes me a little less comfortable.

Steve

The checks would be payable to SLU, dated 10/1/04. We'll hand them a stack of them. They add up to whatever they add up to. It would be a gesture of a community. I sense this is going nowhere. Just a thought.

I see several problems with this plan. First of all if anybody tells any other person something and that person is not someone they know well enough to trust with information then no one should be surprised if the information is shared. So if Brad thinks that if you do not post on this board that whatever he tells you is secret then he is being naive. Second if all the money is pooled and given from the Board, the SLU has no reason recognize any donors individually. Third, how much to give and is it even remotely close to what will be asked for. Finally, wht is to be gained from such an effort?

my thoughts are that while i love all you guys, this is a scenario i am going to look out for myself. whatever pennies i will be able to scrounge up to contribute i will have to send in my own name to try to perserve whatever i can for position i have worked hard to get to for the last 15+ years. sorry guys.