This season's starters, hey, we need some hoops discussion

slu72

If Carter is going take minutes from MM or JJ then not only is he is complete stud but an incredibly fast learner. MM and JJ get it on D, they get it on Oh-fence and they are only going to improve. Their play in the tournament was nails and I just cannot see KC coming in and being better than 2 juniors who competed and in some cases outshined the starting guards from Memphis and Mich St.

I do not view this as a DE situation because DE didnt not have the guys in front of him who were the caliber of MM or JJ.

I am not ready to relegate JB to 5 mins/gm either. If you ask JB, I would bet he expects to be in the regular rotation next season also.

I am not doubting RM's statement that KC is a better incoming freshman than KM, but I do not think a freshman KM would get 10 minutes on this 2012-2013 bills squad either. Not a knock at all on KC.

In other news, does anyone follow Austin McBroom on Twitter. If not, you should.

-Nick

If Carter is going take minutes from MM or JJ then not only is he is complete stud but an incredibly fast learner. MM and JJ get it on D, they get it on Oh-fence and they are only going to improve. Their play in the tournament was nails and I just cannot see KC coming in and being better than 2 juniors who competed and in some cases outshined the starting guards from Memphis and Mich St.

I do not view this as a DE situation because DE didnt not have the guys in front of him who were the caliber of MM or JJ.

I am not ready to relegate JB to 5 mins/gm either. If you ask JB, I would bet he expects to be in the regular rotation next season also.

I am not doubting RM's statement that KC is a better incoming freshman than KM, but I do not think a freshman KM would get 10 minutes on this 2012-2013 bills squad either. Not a knock at all on KC.

In other news, does anyone follow Austin McBroom on Twitter. If not, you should.

-Nick

I think you are on the money here, Nick.

I'd be thrilled if KC is the kind of talent that will compete for serious minutes right out of the gate. But there's a learning curve w/ RM's systems. We saw that his first year here. He had TL and KL, two well established D1 players, and we set the infamous 20 pt record. Unless KC's been studying film with Whitesell and Crews breaking it down for him. I just don't see it until later in the season.

As for JB, I see him the 9th man, much like Salechick. I'm sure he sees himself getting 12-15mpg but that's going to be hard to get given who's in front of him. For him it will come down to matchups. There will be game situations where we'll have to go small like KM, MM, JJ, DE, and a big. In those type of games JB could pickup extra minutes. JB was a let down last year, given RM's hyping him as a potential all conf player. Every time I saw him play, he looked uncomfortable and lost. You could make the excuse he didn't play the previous season, but he was there to learn the system in practice. It's wait and see for him. And if he doesn't break thru this year, his SR year at SLU's going to make him wish he stayed at Toldeo.

I don't know that I'd count JB out. Last year he just looked like he was thinking too much and never really let the flow of the game come to him. He seemed to be very methodical in his movement. I don't have any real expectations for him but I wouldn't be shocked if we all end up pleasantly surprised.

As far as starters go there are just too many variables. I can see KM, DE, and RL. After that I wouldn't be shocked to see MM or JJ, in fact I wouldn't be shocked to see Carter there by mid season. Along with RL in the front court CE, JM, or CR will not surprise me. They all need to improve in certain areas to nail down their spot. This team is so deep. I don't remember many if any years where our 2nd guard or 1st big off the bench wouldn't be starters. Hell, most years we'd be drooling over what GG could be. Talk of him would dominate the board as the true PF we never seem to have, this year he's an afterthought.

I guess it's because he's 6-11 that everyone pencils Rob Loe as a starter and relegates Cody Ellis to the bench, but I wonder if it would be better to have Ellis start and Loe come off of the bench. Is it because Loe doesn't seem to have a good game unless he gets off to an auspicious start while Ellis often is like a microwave? Either way, I see Ellis getting more minutes than Loe, even if Loe starts. Also, I think Coach Majerus likes to have Loe in for the tip-off. If they would ever be in together, then post Evans up -- or even Jett -- in order to maintain some inside-out offense.

We really need someone to play post up "O" to replace Conklin to free up the other scorers. I like RL or DE for that role. Maybe CE. And we need a new firey leader inside to replace Conk.

Other than that, and of course staying healthy, we will be fine. Top 25-40; squeek into The Sweet 16 if things go well and a player or two improves dramatically.

5th starter? It's not that important, though I hope either CE or CR will clearly improve, step up and deserve it.

It would also be nice if Manning and / or Glaze would contribute significatnly.

The biggest question is whether CR can contribute. It seems like every year he is going to "go off" he always disappoints.

DE and CR could replace the offensive production that Conklin bought to the team. Not one single guy will replace Conklin it will be a combination of players, maybe like some are suggesting, JM will also be another big off of the bench.

As for a fiery leader, it's easy, we have one in KM. It might not seem like it, but if you see him in the huddle and supporting his teammates, you see the fire in his eyes. He is not as expressive as Conklin, but I think he will be the leader next year.

Otherwise, this year is looking great barring injuries.

As

We really need someone to play post up "O" to replace Conklin to free up the other scores. I like RL or DE for that role. Maybe CE. And we need a new firey leader inside to replace Conk.

Other than that, and of course staying healthy, we will be fine. Top 25-40; squeek into The Sweet 16 if things go well and a player or two improves dramatically.

5th starter? It's not that important, though I hope either CE or CR will clearly improve, step up and deserve it.

It would also be nice if Manning and / or Glaze would contribute significatnly.

The biggest question is whether CR can contribute. It seems like every year he is going to "go off" he always disappoints.

DE and CR could replace the offensive production that Conklin bought to the team. Not one single guy will replace Conklin it will be a combination of players, maybe like some are suggesting, JM will also be another big off of the bench.

As for a fiery leader, it's easy, we have one in KM. It might not seem like it, but if you see him in the huddle and supporting his teammates, you see the fire in his eyes. He is not as expressive as Conklin, but I think he will be the leader next year.

Otherwise, this year is looking great barring injuries.

As

Agree totally. BC came as a huge surprise to most of us last year. But right now there's not a player on the team that I see bringing what he did to last year's team. BC was a tough out underneath. CR? More athletic, better D, better rebounder. Scorer? I doubt it. RL? Just not his game. CE? Best possibilty. He's bigger by 2 inches, but that kind of heat and desire? Not until we see it, besides that's probably not what he's asked to do. JM and GG? Who can judge at this point. All that said, this is now KM's team. Just like last year was BC's team, KM will arise to the ocassion. Bottom line, interior play just might not be as important as it was last year.

How many minutes do you experts see JM playing? Perhaps 15. RM is high on him. I didn't see enough of him last year to see this potential RM predicts will be displayed.

I'm no expert, but I don't see Manning playing that many minutes — at least not at the beginning of the season — unless there's an injury to Loe or Remekun. Maybe he'll play 5 to 8 minutes per game, and he might not play in every game. Now, if Manning's progression parallels Ian Vouyoukas's at all, by the end of the season he'll have forced his way into some more playing time, particularly if Remekun were to continue to exhibit inconsistency.

Coach Majerus appears to favor an eight-player rotation, and the first seven appear to be Mitchell, Evans, Ellis, Jett, McCall, Loe, and Remekun, so Barnett, Manning, Glaze, Carter, and Drew will vie for the eighth spot. Maybe Manning will win out, but each of the others brings something to the table, as well.

Drew may also force his way into minutes. He may be something we don't have on this roster, an athletic 3. Evans is really an athletic undersized 4. If he can play defense and has a nice jump shot I can see him working himself into the rotation.

+1. Drew is a high level athlete. He's going to have his fair share of highlight dunks over the next 4 years.

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't see Remuken as a rotation player this year.

I know he's a senior and he has some talent but he's never come close to putting it together. He doesn't exactly excel defensively either. Majerus may insert him in the lineup early on but if Manning is any kind of player he will overtake him by conference play (maybe in preseason).

It is pretty obvious to me who the best 5 are - Mitchell, McCall, Jett, Evans, & Ellis. That doesn't make a starting lineup though. Loe should improve but he almost starts by default. If he can play more than 20 minutes a game we can have a totally different rotation. I expect the aforementioned 5 to get the majority of the minutes with Loe coming up next than Carter & Manning/Remuken making up the 8 man rotation.