Official release on Newborne

kshoe

ST. LOUIS-Saint Louis University head men's basketball coach Brad Soderberg today announced that 6-foot-6, 220-pound forward Vas'shun Newborne (Natchez, Miss. / Natchez) has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend the University and play basketball for the Billikens. A transfer from Chipola Junior College in Marianna, Fla., Newborne will have two years of eligibility beginning with the 2004-05 academic year.

"Vas'shun is a versatile player who can play either power forward or small forward," Soderberg said. "He is an excellent shooter, aggressive rebounder and a tough defender. We become immediately better by adding him to our program."

Newborne averaged 11.2 points and 7.5 rebounds per game at Chipola during the 2003-04 season as the Indians posted a 32-5 record and recorded a sixth-place finish at the NJCAA National Tournament.

He converted 53 percent from the field and had 48 steals. Newborne was a FCCAA Panhandle All-Conference first team selection and was named to the FCCAA State All-Tournament team. Chipola won the 2003-04 Panhandle Conference title with an 11-1 record and was the Region VIII champion. Chipola is the same junior college that produced current Billiken center Tom Frericks and had four other players sign with Division I programs this year.

"Vas'shun is a model student-athlete, who has the total package both on and off the floor," said Chipola head coach Chris Jans. "He is a relentless textbook defender and never takes a possession off in

practice or during a game. He is a combo forward who can score in

the post or stretch the defense with a jumper."

Newborne also played under Jans' direction during the 2002-03

season at Howard College (Big Spring, Texas). He averaged 11.3 points and 4.3 rebounds per game while helping the Hawks to a 30-2 record. He shot 60.1 percent from the field, 45 percent from three-point range and 61 percent from the free throw line.

Newborne is the fourth signee in this recruiting class. In the early signing period, the Billikens inked swingman Tommie Liddell (East St. Louis, Ill. / East St. Louis), guard Luke Meyer (Washington, Mo. / St.Francis Borgia) and guard Dwayne Polk (St. Louis, Mo. / Vashon)

>Interesting that he's described as a guy who can play the 3

>or 4. I thought he was strictly a 4. I don't know if I'm

>disappointed that he's not a typical 4 or pleased that he

>brings more versatility than I thought.

I had the same thought. If we don't get another player prior to the start of next season, the fact that Newborne is a combo forward is a plus in my book.

I watched VN play three juco games this winter against good competition. Here's my two cents on our newest Billiken.

POSITIVES: A good kid. His juco coach had him at Howard juco in Texas for one season and then took VN with him when he moved to Chipola. His juco coach played for Soderberg at Loras College, so he is not going to be sending Soderberg some jerk. VN is a blue collar player in the 6-6+ range. Plays within himself (under control), plays smart, never did anything dumb, a team player. Knows his position/role and plays it well. Basically hung around the low post area. Shot a few high arching 3pters well in the games I saw, also made 75% of his free throws. Good passer in the paint. Works hard at rebounding, making more jumps rather than having the best vertical. Works hard on defense, hustles for loose balls on the floor.

Concerns: Not a great leaper (more of a battler). Average foot speed. Not bulky, but strong enough. Did not drive from the perimeter to the basket. Either shot a 3pter or passed away. On a few occasions, a much taller opponent shot over him or rebounded over his back.

MY TWO CENTS: VN is not a standout PF (no Bonner), but will be a nice piece to the Billiken team on and off the court. Several similarities to Chris Sloan, less Sloan's facial expressions. My guess is that over a two-year period VN's points and rebounds will be slightly higher than Sloans. All-in-all, I'm happy that VN is one piece of the Billiken puzzle.

Next season, I don't see any of our six post players averaging 32.4 minutes per game as Sloan did last season. Assuming TF and IO play same amount of minutes in the post; an improved IY, an improved JJ, an improved BH and a new VN compete for remaining minutes. imo, post depth will be improved next season.

Actual from 2003-2004 season:

Post Players Games Played Total Minutes

1-Sloan 32 1033

2-Varner 31 491

3-Frericks 24 479

4-Izik (part-time) 32 691

5-Ian 21 220

6-JJ 20 182

Prospects for 2004-2005 season:

Post Players

1-Frericks

2-Izik (part-time)

3-Ian (eligible on day one)

4-JJ

5-Husak (eligible on day one)

6-Newborne

...let me say I think it's unfortunate (for us) that you waited until after your son completed his eligibility to begin contributing.

Chris Sloan will be missed.

I will wait until I've seen Vas'shun Newbourne play before I post any thoughts about whether the Billikens will be better or worse off at the power forward position following Sloan's graduation -- as it pertains to newcomers. I will say, though, that an improved and more mature Justin Johnson would easily upgrade the Bills at the power forward spot, but it remains to be seen.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading this board and recruiting boards for about 6 years. I have enjoyed it but never contributed. I didn't want to influence the discussions one way or the other. I thought it was better for CS. You got my point about the depth at the 4. It seems that VN may be similar to CS - at this point the +'s and -'s may be a wash. That leaves JJ and Izik - same (without RV)as this year. I don't know if either will improve enough to say the depth is a lot better.

I do want to thank all of the Billiken faithful for supporting CS. His career had its highs and lows but he and his family are very happy that he went to SLU. I hope other parents of D-1 kids realize how great it can be to play in your home town. I hope the KL family and the TL family feel this way. It would be nice to seem them on STL billboards in the future.

I think the 5 position is solid and deep enough, but I'm not so sure about the 4. We still don't have the 6'7, 8 or 9, 240lbs, athletic power forward we need. With 3 years left hopefully JJ will be that guy. He's not 240lbs, but he does have the size, touch and athleticism. I think his development will be a huge factor for next year.

mr sloan, your son is the walking definition of what college athletics should be. i for one will miss his guts and enthusiasm. i loved his "just tell me what you want me to do and i will do it" attitude. he was about winning and sacrifice. thank you and mrs sloan for giving us your son for four years.

It is great to have you as a poster on the board. Chris was a fantastic Billiken who busted his butt in every game. His help defense was the best I have ever seen and he and his intensity will be missed. Thanks for the kind remarks about Chris staying home and the fun you had being able to see him in town. If Tommie and Kevin make the same excellent decision, our Billikens will be outstanding in our new building and I could see a clone of this year's St. Josephs teams over the past two years. I hope all goes well with Chris in his future. You have every reason to be proud.