Harriman

As SLU72 pointed out, the likelihood that Harriman suddenly met a guy from Serbia within a month (and probably less) of no longer being under contract to SLU and then suddenly convinced him to come to Nebraska is...minimal. Yes, a lawsuit. Tortuous interference. It's virtually inconceivable that Harriman wasn't working this kid and/or talking to Nebraska about him while he was still technically under contract with us.

And perhaps Whitesell and Crews are simply biding their time until retirement, or something like that, but the fact that they're both staying around could be interpreted that maybe our salaries aren't all that bad. (In fairness, we really don't know, on all of this stuff. Harriman may simply have gone to Nebraska and served as the closer because that was his new function on that staff. And he may or may not be making double or triple there. We also don't know whether RM is paying Crews again this year or whether the U. ponied up, although I'd tend to think the latter because Crews was only supposed to be a short-termer when he signed on. Anybody know if the assistants' salaries cross the threshold for 990 reporting?)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As SLU72 pointed out, the likelihood that Harriman suddenly met a guy from Serbia within a month (and probably less) of no longer being under contract to SLU and then suddenly convinced him to come to Nebraska is...minimal. Yes, a lawsuit. Tortuous interference. It's virtually inconceivable that Harriman wasn't working this kid and/or talking to Nebraska about him while he was still technically under contract with us.

And perhaps Whitesell and Crews are simply biding their time until retirement, or something like that, but the fact that they're both staying around could be interpreted that maybe our salaries aren't all that bad. (In fairness, we really don't know, on all of this stuff. Harriman may simply have gone to Nebraska and served as the closer because that was his new function on that staff. And he may or may not be making double or triple there. We also don't know whether RM is paying Crews again this year or whether the U. ponied up, although I'd tend to think the latter because Crews was only supposed to be a short-termer when he signed on. Anybody know if the assistants' salaries cross the threshold for 990 reporting?)

My guess is just as yours on all points.

So you think assistant coaches in college basketball have non-compete clauses like in the medical field? As in Harriman can't recruit to Nebraska any player that he initially had contact with while working at SLU?

Look, Charlotte once had an oral committment from Michael Beasley, then K-State hired his recruiter, Dalonte Hill, away from them and amazingly Beasley ended up going to K-state. This stuff goes on all the time.

I fully expect that whatever assistant we hire to fill the 3rd spot will have already evaluated and talked to plenty of players while in his current employ.

So you think assistant coaches in college basketball have non-compete clauses like in the medical field? As in Harriman can't recruit to Nebraska any player that he initially had contact with while working at SLU?

Look, Charlotte once had an oral committment from Michael Beasley, then K-State hired his recruiter, Dalonte Hill, away from them and amazingly Beasley ended up going to K-state. This stuff goes on all the time.

I fully expect that whatever assistant we hire to fill the 3rd spot will have already evaluated and talked to plenty of players while in his current employ.

To further your point, Keith Carter originally had an oral committmentt with Loyola-Il. Whitesell gets fired, Majerus hires him to SLU and next thing you know Carter says no deal to Loyola and signs a LOI with SLU.

Basically, whenever you hire any assistant or head coach, you fully expect them to be coming with player contacts and potential signees.

To further your point, Keith Carter originally had an oral committmentt with Loyola-Il. Whitesell gets fired, Majerus hires him to SLU and next thing you know Carter says no deal to Loyola and signs a LOI with SLU. Basically, whenever you hire any assistant or head coach, you fully expect them to be coming with player contacts and potential signees.

I think Carter actually committed to Loyola soon after Porter became coach. Then he decommitted and signed with SLU.

But, your point still stands. This stuff happens all the time.

KShoe exactly how much bigger do you think SLU's basketball budget should be?

SLU's basketball budget ranks 23rd when you elimate the big 6 conferences, When you pull out schools with big revenue flowing in like BYU, Memphis, Butler, Gonzaga, UNLV, SDSU, TCU and New Mexico we rank 15th. Could it be better? Sure, but it isn't all that bad for a program that isn't rolling in TV or NCAA tournament money. Biondi isn't exactly nickel and diming the program.

SLU's basketball budget ranks 23rd when you elimate the big 6 conferences, When you pull out schools with big revenue flowing in like BYU, Memphis, Butler, Gonzaga, UNLV, SDSU, TCU and New Mexico we rank 15th. Could it be better? Sure, but it isn't all that bad for a program that isn't rolling in TV or NCAA tournament money. Biondi isn't exactly nickel and diming the program.

Top 50 Program!

Well if you take out the BCS conferences, Ohio, and Xavier we were the national champion last year! Let's celebrate.

Well if you take out the BCS conferences, Ohio, and Xavier we were the national champion last year! Let's celebrate.

So you think we should compare our basketball budget to those of the BCS schools despite the fact we don't have close to the same amount of revenue flowing in?

How the F should I know EXACTLY how much bigger the budget should be? If Chris May wants to call me down to his office and how me the books, I'd be happy to provide my financial advice.

Here is the evidence that I have that our basketball budget isn't where it needs to be:

- We don't fly charter to many places despite the need for it

- We lost our top recruiting assistant due to lack of pay

- We can't afford to get our games t.v.

- Our hedge coach flirted with going to a school that made absolutely no sense for him, simply because of pay.

On the flip side I know that:

- Due to last year's NCAA tourney success we are in-line to get significantly more money the next 5 years.

- We have so much extra revenue we can now give away the revenue from buy games by playing away games at sub 300 RPI teams.

We have a golden opportunity to build on last year with two more years of NCAA success and if things are done properly more success after that. Instead, I see a leader at the top that doesn't want to take the next step and committ the resources to actually staying in the top 50. Anybody can get to the top 50 for a few years (see SLU in the mid 90s) its staying there that is hard and Biondi is blowing our second shot at it.

We have around an extra $500,000 a year coming in now. Matching Harriman's pay would have ate 40% of that money. It might be a better use of that money to increase charter flights, pay the part of Crews' salary Majerus was covering, double the new asst coach's salary, increase Whitsell's pay, and increase the recruiting budget.

Biondi should increase the spending, but I don't see why anyone would think that SLU basketball has enough money sitting around to triple Harriman's salary.

Also, calling Harriman the top recruiter on the staff is a bit of a stretch and I really think Chris has a big future in the coaching business.

What we need is a Tall Black... a coach from New Zealand, of course.

As long as he can teach the team this Im down

Don't you mean an african-american australian coach....?

Im pretty sure it would just be African-Australia.

Do the aborigines play basketball?

I think Kevin Bacon knows the answer to that question

Posted Image

We have around an extra $500,000 a year coming in now. Matching Harriman's pay would have ate 40% of that money. It might be a better use of that money to increase charter flights, pay the part of Crews' salary Majerus was covering, double the new asst coach's salary, increase Whitsell's pay, and increase the recruiting budget.

Biondi should increase the spending, but I don't see why anyone would think that SLU basketball has enough money sitting around to triple Harriman's salary.

Also, calling Harriman the top recruiter on the staff is a bit of a stretch and I really think Chris has a big future in the coaching business.

Harriman got a $200,000 raise? How much were we paying him? $50,000? I thought all our assistants were over $100,000 and the top two closer to $200,000. Does anyone know what we pay these guys?

He was that Harriman was the third assistant and was paid equitably for a non bcs program. The problem was that Crews was paid more than at a second level assistant. IMHO I rather have Crews on the staff and bring in a younger assistant to be the go to recruiter knowing that we will probably lose him to a bcs level program. Believe this is a prudent way to deploy the programs assets