RM on Costas Tonight

ARon

Right now on NBC Sports network (Versus). Bob is doing a "state of college sports" roundtable.

I have to ask all those who have ripped RM nonstop for his lack of media presence if things like this are considered an ambassador of the program. This along with the numerous shows and programs across the nation he has done recently. When is the last time a St. Louis University coach of any type has been on panels and shows that are national in nature. Every one of these appearances and participations he is announced and introduced as Rick Majerus, Head Mens Basketball coach at St. Louis University. Exposure for SLU doesn't get much better than that.

I have to ask all those who have ripped RM nonstop for his lack of media presence if things like this are considered an ambassador of the program. This along with the numerous shows and programs across the nation he has done recently. When is the last time a St. Louis University coach of any type has been on panels and shows that are national in nature. Every one of these appearances and participations he is announced and introduced as Rick Majerus, Head Mens Basketball coach at St. Louis University. Exposure for SLU doesn't get much better than that.

Except the only time SLU was mentioned was in Majerus' introduction by Costas.

He has been much better this year, but you would have to be clueless to deny that he has had some ugly moments in media appearances and disappearances in the past. If he continues as he has recently, we will all forget about the past very soon!

He has been much better this year, but you would have to be clueless to deny that he has had some ugly moments in media appearances and disappearances in the past. If he continues as he has recently, we will all forget about the past very soon!

We have had some ugly moments in the basketball program that I would not be in the best mindframe to discuss if asked either. So I definately would not have put myself in positions to have to discuss them either. Now that the program has turned in the right direction, the time is right to come out of the shell and make some noise.

I again ask the question when was the last time ANY coach at SLU has been in the national spotlight like this?

Yes. He is nationally known, but it wouldn't hurt him to at least pretend that Andre Miller and Van Horn don't play for his team anymore.

He literally said, "[w]e have guys on the team, like Miller, who was a Prop 48 kid." He then went on to discuss the other guys "on" the team, including the aforementioned Doleac and Van Horn. I'm sorry, but what team is he talking about?

It wouldn't have killed him to at least mention his latest Academic All-American, Brian Conklin.

If you couldn't tell, that segment bugged me.

C'mon, guys, he gets mentioned as the coach of SLU, so let's give him some slack. Is this gonna help us w/ recruiting? Not likely, but we're still out there, and how can that hurt? Just let RM get us to the elite 8 next year, and we'll all be happy campers. Actually, I hope we make the final 4 as my daughter lives in ATL and was baptzed at ST FX church by FR. Bolden. She would like nothing better than to hold a SLU party at her place.

Educated sports fans, i.e. the base of the show, will see Coach and know he is now making his bones at SLU whether he talks about us or not. NBC certainly didn't have him on to talk Billiken hoops, and using examples of players people have actually heard of probably helps him get his points across clearer/easier. When we reach the Final 4 next year (& the year after) maybe he will transition into using SLU examples. Costas is THE man, and won't be talking to another SLU HC in our lifetime... great publicity.

Right now on NBC Sports network (Versus). Bob is doing a "state of college sports" roundtable.

ARon, were Mark Emmert (NCAA pres), Joe Nocera (NYT NCAA critic), Gene Smith (OSU AD), Doug Flutie, involved? If so, a clip of the show (sans RM) was just run on NBCsn. It apparently had a bunch of heavy hitters, no one of them would have had much air time. If so, I'd like to see it. The episode is scheduled again at 6am Thu, 3pm Fri, 9:30 Sat, 9pm Sun, and so forth.

--- (later) ---

The answer is "yes", its a two hour "town hall" event. Read this brief NBCsn synopsis of the show, including:

Saint Louis head coach Rick Majerus suggested a stipend that can help out student-athletes by way of an escrow account that they can access after their eligibility dries up.

RM would have been an ass to explicitly pump SLU in such a setting Edited by Prairie Bill

Educated sports fans, i.e. the base of the show, will see Coach and know he is now making his bones at SLU whether he talks about us or not. NBC certainly didn't have him on to talk Billiken hoops, and using examples of players people have actually heard of probably helps him get his points across clearer/easier. When we reach the Final 4 next year (& the year after) maybe he will transition into using SLU examples. Costas is THE man, and won't be talking to another SLU HC in our lifetime... great publicity.

+100 Exactly. This is right on the point I was making.

Yes. He is nationally known, but it wouldn't hurt him to at least pretend that Andre Miller and Van Horn don't play for his team anymore.

He literally said, "[w]e have guys on the team, like Miller, who was a Prop 48 kid." He then went on to discuss the other guys "on" the team, including the aforementioned Doleac and Van Horn. I'm sorry, but what team is he talking about?

It wouldn't have killed him to at least mention his latest Academic All-American, Brian Conklin.

If you couldn't tell, that segment bugged me.

Maybe next time it will bug you when you don't hear the SLU coach on there at all. Get a grip. You're making yourself sound like a spoiled brat.

Rick Majerus, basketball coach, Saint Louis University.

In that scenario, the most important thing is Rick Majerus. The rest decline and are less than the item preceding it. I would offer that by the time you get to Saint Louis University, it doesn't matter. I would say that the school's gain is minimal and inconsequential in this interview. It's a "nice to have."

Miller, Doleac and Van Horne alogn with Utah's Final Two appearance, are all more relative than Conklin's acadmic award in the context of the recent completion of the college basketball season. Legends grow with time and this is Rick's legend. He sdoesn't have enough gas in the SLU tank to make anythign at SLU relevant right now. Go to the dance next year, and the storylien will grow.

I'd offer that the fact he is at our school in thi sinterview, was nothing more than a footnote.

The RM/media criticism is really a non-issue. There were a few local hacks like Andy Strickland who complained about this when RM first arrived and the myth has been perpetuated by some RM haters over the years. One of the first things RM did when he came to town was to strike up a relationship with Miklasz. For years Miklasz would belittle the SLU program. That all changed when RM came to town. RM has even been able to get guys like Burwell and others in the media to pick up his cause that SLU should play Mizzou. While RM doesn't like to have weekly radio show and doesn't like going on after games, he has always been very accessible to a wide variety of local and national radio shows. I think the best job RM did with the media was last year. During a rough season in the aftermath of the incident, RM went on just about every show that would have him with the message that the future of SLU bball was still very strong and that better things were ahead right around the corner.

As great as Spoon was with the local media, he was really more of a regional figure... almost a cult figure. RM is truly a national figure in coaching. Just his mere presence adds great value for SLU. The fact that he is our coach demonstrates that we are now a program that takes basketball seriously. I was struck watching the Memphis/SLU game about the contrast in coaches. I had to chuckle that Memphis, with all their tradition, money and fan support had Quin Snyder Jr. coaching them, while we had the legend RM.

Maybe next time it will bug you when you don't hear the SLU coach on there at all. Get a grip. You're making yourself sound like a spoiled brat.

And the Majerus attack dogs come out. Geeze, make a comment that includes some criticism of RickMa and people start getting defensive.

Yes, I am a spoiled brat because I would have liked it if the current coach of Saint Louis University would have mentioned his current employer rather than still refer to his 1998 Utah team in the present tense. Gimme' a break.

Rick Majerus, basketball coach, Saint Louis University.

In that scenario, the most important thing is Rick Majerus. The rest decline and are less than the item preceding it. I would offer that by the time you get to Saint Louis University, it doesn't matter. I would say that the school's gain is minimal and inconsequential in this interview. It's a "nice to have."

Miller, Doleac and Van Horne alogn with Utah's Final Two appearance, are all more relative than Conklin's acadmic award in the context of the recent completion of the college basketball season. Legends grow with time and this is Rick's legend. He sdoesn't have enough gas in the SLU tank to make anythign at SLU relevant right now. Go to the dance next year, and the storylien will grow.

I'd offer that the fact he is at our school in thi sinterview, was nothing more than a footnote.

Did you watch the interview? It was mostly about academics and the APR with some discusion on paying players (at least the segment involving Majerus).

Costas mentioned that SLU would have been one of the 13 schools ineligible for the NCAA tournament under the APR rules. Instead of explaining the situation at SLU, he pivoted the conversation to talk about how Andre Miller was a Prop 48. Huh? Yes, we should all be so grateful for that kind of publicity. And when Costas asks about SLU it is more relevant to talk about his time at Utah? Please, explain how that is possible.

I really didn't think my comments were that big of deal, but apparently it touched a nerve with a bunch of you. Bummer.

Did you watch the interview? It was mostly about academics and the APR with some discusion on paying players (at least the segment involving Majerus).

Costas mentioned that SLU would have been one of the 13 schools ineligible for the NCAA tournament under the APR rules. Instead of explaining the situation at SLU, he pivoted the conversation to talk about how Andre Miller was a Prop 48. Huh? Yes, we should all be so grateful for that kind of publicity. And when Costas asks about SLU it is more relevant to talk about his time at Utah? Please, explain how that is possible.

I really didn't think my comments were that big of deal, but apparently it touched a nerve with a bunch of you. Bummer.

-did you see Rick address the SLU apr in his next segment?

The RM/media criticism is really a non-issue. There were a few local hacks like Andy Strickland who complained about this when RM first arrived and the myth has been perpetuated by some RM haters over the years. One of the first things RM did when he came to town was to strike up a relationship with Miklasz. For years Miklasz would belittle the SLU program. That all changed when RM came to town. RM has even been able to get guys like Burwell and others in the media to pick up his cause that SLU should play Mizzou. While RM doesn't like to have weekly radio show and doesn't like going on after games, he has always been very accessible to a wide variety of local and national radio shows. I think the best job RM did with the media was last year. During a rough season in the aftermath of the incident, RM went on just about every show that would have him with the message that the future of SLU bball was still very strong and that better things were ahead right around the corner.

As great as Spoon was with the local media, he was really more of a regional figure... almost a cult figure. RM is truly a national figure in coaching. Just his mere presence adds great value for SLU. The fact that he is our coach demonstrates that we are now a program that takes basketball seriously. I was struck watching the Memphis/SLU game about the contrast in coaches. I had to chuckle that Memphis, with all their tradition, money and fan support had Quin Snyder Jr. coaching them, while we had the legend RM.

-the perception of some local media folks seems to me to be that Rick has not been readily available during his entire term as SLU, i am thinking of everyone at kmox and kilcoyne as they are the ones i hear that were still bringing it up during our season, tough to change perception

-i hope his appearance was a positive for the U, Costas certainly knew who and what he was getting when he invited Rick on the show

-Costas, to me, is fantastic, his shows for me are great entertainment and learning opportunities, i thought last night dale brown was very good and sonny vacarro certainly took exception to his introduction, my dislike for bilas grew and my appreciation of Rick grew

-i wish they would have concentrated on the pay the players aspect more and left the bcs discussion for another time, esp since no fball coaches were there

Rickma's comment could have, also, left the impression that SLU was a Mormon school. It felt like he was using the Mormon mission issue as a reason for SLU's APR in the first segment. People across the country who don't know the school and the situation could have left that segment with a completely wrong preception.

Rickma's comment could have, also, left the impression that SLU was a Mormon schools. It felt like he was using the Mormon mission issue as a reason for SLU's APR in the first segment. People across the country who don't know the school and the situation could have left that segment with a completely wrong preception.

-i agree

@ Eckelkamp --- no, I haven't watched the interview until I get a chance at a rebroadcast. However, whether or not I see it wil still have no direct affect on my point, which is: Rick Majerus. Basketball Coach. Saint Louis University. These are listed as singular sewntences now, singular points. None of the three needs the other to stand alone in that order; in a reverse order, not the same. Your comments are understood -- yes, it would have been nice to garner additional attention to the school but I don't know that that was the objective or if Rick even cared. He might not have cared because he might have thought the medium was not the place for it. In any case, its immaterial. Rick Majerus was on there because he is Rick Majerus, first and foremost. That was the hook. Being a HOF coach is another good hook, it pumps up the perception of expertise. Being at SLU? Irrelevant to the conversation. The fact that he's there and Costas from there -- maybe some point-to-point connections to make it happen.

I have to watch now, I want to hear what he did say about our APR but I suspect nothing and expect more general comments.

Bob Costas was the TV guy for some of the SLU games back in the early Grawer years. I think he was before that as well but it was pretty odd experience walking into a younger Bob Costas getting makeup put on as a student before a game.