Bad News last night for the A10

South FL won at Louisville and Cincy beat Marq. These are two teams that we need not to get invites to keep the 3 bid chance for the A10 alive. As much as I want us in the dance, if we lay an egg in the tourney or against DU we could very well be out. If Temple runs the table in the conf tourney and we lay an egg the conf could get only 1 team - perfect storm scenerio.

We have to take it one game at a time, which sounds really easy but it is the hardest thing in the world to do. You think the SLU players aren't doing the same thing we are? Looking ahead, scheming about how many they have to win in the A-10 tournament or worrying about possible seeding in the NCAAs when they should be 100% focused on DU? It's impossible not to focus on those things, which is exactly why we lost to Rhode Island and another reason i'm worried about this DU game.

Chill out. We are in and the conference won't get less than two teams in. South Florida and Cincy were both foing to be tourney teams before last night.

I have to think we are in too. We will have at least 23 wins, no matter what. The A-10 is highly regarded enough that it wont get one bid like the patriort or swac. the prognosticators have had us in for months, we are a solid top-two in a good conference. let's just win one game at a time and before you know it, we'll be in the sweet-16. We have a really special team. We all know it, and slowly but surely, the rest of the country is finding out too.

-you are kidding, aren't you?

No I am absolutely not. What does any more A10 teams making the tournament this year have to do with us in any way? Does it boost our profile for next year? No. Does it somehow improve our seeding? No. Does it improve our W-L record? No. The only thing it boosts is the conference tournament units for the next 6 years. So I guess maybe we should be rooting for that extra $15,000 or so into the coffers. Big whoop.

I want SLU to go to Atlantic City and win the whole damn thing. Screw everyone else. They're useless to us now.

Next year the A10 could look completely different. Xavier could lose half their team. Temple is most likely gone. There could be additional teams added or subtracted. How many teams the league had in the tournament will mean nothing next year, just as it does every year.

And how is anyone else making the tournament outside of winning in Atlantic City? Are you rooting against SLU in AC?

It's more of an issue of where do we land between a 7-12 seed, rather than are we getting in or not... no matter what happens.

Agreed...I honestly don't care where we end up seeded as long as it's not 8 or 9. I'd gladly take a 7 or 10 and quite honestly wouldn't mind flying under the radar at an 11 seed but I think that would require us to lose our next two games which wouldn’t be good for morale.

Based on Lunardi's "S" Curve we're one of the lower seeded teams at the #8 position so I would think that the more bubble teams that continue to improve their position and resume for the dance (CO St., USF, UC) the bracketing process becomes much less clear cut between the 6 and 11 seeds. The numbers may have us at an 8 at the end of the season but the committee "eye" test could bump us up or down...just so hard to know.

No I am absolutely not. What does any more A10 teams making the tournament this year have to do with us in any way? Does it boost our profile for next year? No. Does it somehow improve our seeding? No. Does it improve our W-L record? No. The only thing it boosts is the conference tournament units for the next 6 years. So I guess maybe we should be rooting for that extra $15,000 or so into the coffers. Big whoop.

I want SLU to go to Atlantic City and win the whole damn thing. Screw everyone else. They're useless to us now.

Next year the A10 could look completely different. Xavier could lose half their team. Temple is most likely gone. There could be additional teams added or subtracted. How many teams the league had in the tournament will mean nothing next year, just as it does every year.

And how is anyone else making the tournament outside of winning in Atlantic City? Are you rooting against SLU in AC?

-ok, we have a difference (big) of opinion, to address your points....

-the committee does look at conf strength when seeding, go back and watch the interviews with the selection chair on cbs or espn, so finishing second in a conf that gets three bids is better than finishing in a conf that gets two bids and could result in seletion or higher seeding

-while i have no inside knowledge on the finances of the ADept, if you are willing to write the check to make up the $15k or whatever then do it, but i think every dollar is fairly sacred to the ADept (see charter flights, recruiting budget, Rick paying for more of the Canada trip than the U, etc) so more a10 teams means more money to the U

-does it give the mktng dept something else to include if more a10 teams make the tourney? yep, raises the profile of the conf which could lead to ticket sales, again money

-is it easier to schedule bcs teams if the conf is more highly regarded? i say it is, so more teams increases conf profile

-to your point about temple leaving, a third team would mean next year there is another remaining tourney team, see conf profile

-keeps a10 ahead of mvc and that debate

-i do not root against SLU

First even the guy linked above has USF and Cincy as helping themselves - thankfully NW lost last night much to the chagrin of my son-in-law. I do trust the selection committee - teams like us who do not have a history with the NCAA and play in a mid major - high or not - are always working not to give the committee a reason to leave them out. Second, if we lose at DU and lose in our first tourney game we could drop out of sight like a rock in deep water. I agree we have to take it one game at a time.

-ok, we have a difference (big) of opinion, to address your points....

-the committee does look at conf strength when seeding, go back and watch the interviews with the selection chair on cbs or espn, so finishing second in a conf that gets three bids is better than finishing in a conf that gets two bids and could result in seletion or higher seeding

-while i have no inside knowledge on the finances of the ADept, if you are willing to write the check to make up the $15k or whatever then do it, but i think every dollar is fairly sacred to the ADept (see charter flights, recruiting budget, Rick paying for more of the Canada trip than the U, etc) so more a10 teams means more money to the U

-does it give the mktng dept something else to include if more a10 teams make the tourney? yep, raises the profile of the conf which could lead to ticket sales, again money

-is it easier to schedule bcs teams if the conf is more highly regarded? i say it is, so more teams increases conf profile

-to your point about temple leaving, a third team would mean next year there is another remaining tourney team, see conf profile

-keeps a10 ahead of mvc and that debate

-i do not root against SLU

Fair enough. I understand your points, but don't necessarily think they're a huge deal in the grand scheme.

The A10 has consistently been grouped into that pack with the MWC that isn't necessarily a mid major but not a BCS conference. I don't think that changes one way or another unless we are talking about 6+ bids over multiple years. Or I suppose with new/subtracted schools in the conference.

The fifteen number is a complete guess. Every unit used to be worth 275k or so to the conference. No idea how much the individual schools see or if the a10 breaks it out evenly or by games played.

I think a deep run in the tourney will do wonders for attendance. How many people have you heard say something to the effect of "well I used to just buy individuals and sit wherever but now I'll have to buy season tix" in the past 3 months or so. Yes it would be easier to market a tournament team for a walk up crowd, but hopefully we don't need much of a walk up crowd next year.

And to the scheduling, we are always going to have a hard time scheduling BCS teams. Even teams like eX and Gonzaga have troubles getting true home and home series and they have sustained success. What coach wants to take his team into Chaifetz when he can sit in Champaign and beat Sam Houston State by 20. Especially when BCS teams can finish under .500 in conference and still be a bubble team.

-ok, we have a difference (big) of opinion, to address your points.... -the committee does look at conf strength when seeding, go back and watch the interviews with the selection chair on cbs or espn, so finishing second in a conf that gets three bids is better than finishing in a conf that gets two bids and could result in seletion or higher seeding -while i have no inside knowledge on the finances of the ADept, if you are willing to write the check to make up the $15k or whatever then do it, but i think every dollar is fairly sacred to the ADept (see charter flights, recruiting budget, Rick paying for more of the Canada trip than the U, etc) so more a10 teams means more money to the U -does it give the mktng dept something else to include if more a10 teams make the tourney? yep, raises the profile of the conf which could lead to ticket sales, again money -is it easier to schedule bcs teams if the conf is more highly regarded? i say it is, so more teams increases conf profile -to your point about temple leaving, a third team would mean next year there is another remaining tourney team, see conf profile -keeps a10 ahead of mvc and that debate -i do not root against SLU

+1 Cowboy.

It takes a little thinking into the future to understand the benefits of multiple A-10 teams making the tournament in addition to SLU, but its really not that hard. The financial reasons should be enough, but even if they aren't the qualitative reasons for having a strong A-10 are numerous and you nalied them.

I'll never call against SLU but if the team that beats us goes on to win the tourney then its definitely a silver lining.

Lastly, the A-10 has had a strong habit over the past 5 or so years of getting an extra team into the dance based on their performance in the tourney. I wouldn't write this off as a 2 bid league until its all shaken out.

The fifteen number is a complete guess. Every unit used to be worth 275k or so to the conference. No idea how much the individual schools see or if the a10 breaks it out evenly or by games played.

I'm really interested in this if anyone KNOWS the answer. I used to assume it was fairly evenly spread with the competing team keeping a small amount, the conference keeping a share and the rest being spread amongst all 14 teams. this is what most big BCS conferences do to some extent. Then I read an article last year that said the NCAA tourney competing teams from the A-10 keep like 75% of the unit's value. For the life of me I can't find that article and don't know if its true.

If its true, then certainly a 3rd or 4th team making the dance isn't that big of a financial deal, but it means SLU is in for a windfall of revenue this year and coming years, particularly if we can win a game or two and go back to the dance in future years. Its a LOT of money for a school like SLU and could lead to fewer complaints about charter flights, costs associated with producing t.v. packages, etc.

Would love to hear from someone "in-the-know" on how the units work in the A-10.

South FL won at Louisville and Cincy beat Marq. These are two teams that we need not to get invites to keep the 3 bid chance for the A10 alive. As much as I want us in the dance, if we lay an egg in the tourney or against DU we could very well be out. If Temple runs the table in the conf tourney and we lay an egg the conf could get only 1 team - perfect storm scenerio.

You are saying if we end up with 24 wins we still might not make it.....no way we don't make it in with 24.

Fair enough. I understand your points, but don't necessarily think they're a huge deal in the grand scheme.

The A10 has consistently been grouped into that pack with the MWC that isn't necessarily a mid major but not a BCS conference. I don't think that changes one way or another unless we are talking about 6+ bids over multiple years. Or I suppose with new/subtracted schools in the conference.

I think a deep run in the tourney will do wonders for attendance. How many people have you heard say something to the effect of "well I used to just buy individuals and sit wherever but now I'll have to buy season tix" in the past 3 months or so. Yes it would be easier to market a tournament team for a walk up crowd, but hopefully we don't need much of a walk up crowd next year.

And to the scheduling, we are always going to have a hard time scheduling BCS teams. Even teams like eX and Gonzaga have troubles getting true home and home series and they have sustained success. What coach wants to take his team into Chaifetz when he can sit in Champaign and beat Sam Houston State by 20. Especially when BCS teams can finish under .500 in conference and still be a bubble team.

-the mvc plays in the mid major bracket buster, the a10 does not, the a10 does not consider itself a mid major

-i understand the guess on the dollars, but i believe money is deeply important to the ADept so more of it makes everything a whole lot better

-i would like to have x and gonz's scheduling 'troubles'

I'm really interested in this if anyone KNOWS the answer. I used to assume it was fairly evenly spread with the competing team keeping a small amount, the conference keeping a share and the rest being spread amongst all 14 teams. this is what most big BCS conferences do to some extent. Then I read an article last year that said the NCAA tourney competing teams from the A-10 keep like 75% of the unit's value. For the life of me I can't find that article and don't know if its true.

If its true, then certainly a 3rd or 4th team making the dance isn't that big of a financial deal, but it means SLU is in for a windfall of revenue this year and coming years, particularly if we can win a game or two and go back to the dance in future years. Its a LOT of money for a school like SLU and could lead to fewer complaints about charter flights, costs associated with producing t.v. packages, etc.

Would love to hear from someone "in-the-know" on how the units work in the A-10.

-i don't know, but thought i read where the school producing the unit kept 50%, but that was at least a couple of years ago

-the mvc plays in the mid major bracket buster, the a10 does not, the a10 does not consider itself a mid major

-i understand the guess on the dollars, but i believe money is deeply important to the ADept so more of it makes everything a whole lot better

-i would like to have x and gonz's scheduling 'troubles'

I was talking about the mountain west. MWC.

The only thing I can find online is the total payouts by conference. A10 brought in 6 mill last year. A safe assumption with the a10 is that the distribution makes little to no sense.

But if each unit is 250-275, slu could gain 375-620k for a run to the sweet 16 if it is a performance weighted distribution of 50 or 75%. Each unit is given for games played not wins.

First even the guy linked above has USF and Cincy as helping themselves - thankfully NW lost last night much to the chagrin of my son-in-law. I do trust the selection committee - teams like us who do not have a history with the NCAA and play in a mid major - high or not - are always working not to give the committee a reason to leave them out. Second, if we lose at DU and lose in our first tourney game we could drop out of sight like a rock in deep water. I agree we have to take it one game at a time.

How many teams with a double digit win total in Big East Conference games don't make the tournament?

The only thing I can find online is the total payouts by conference. A10 brought in 6 mill last year. A safe assumption with the a10 is that the distribution makes little to no sense.

But if each unit is 250-275, slu could gain 375-620k for a run to the sweet 16 if it is a performance weighted distribution of 50 or 75%. Each unit is given for games played not wins.

To be clear, those estimates are per year for six years, so whatever number we come up with you can multiply by 6 (if you ignore present valuing).

I think that it is possible for Xavier, St. joes, or even Dayton to win every game until the A-10 final, and lose there, and still get a NCAA bid.

In fact, I'd go so far as to predict that if Dayton and X win out from here on, and dayton wins the A-10 final, then the A-10 would have 4 NCAA bids.

But, I'd rather see the Bills win out from here on and get a 6 or 7 seed, and to hell with the rest!

-my bad on confusing a w with a v and i agree the mtn west and a10 are viewed similarily