Remaining schedule

SShoe

Sure, yesterday sucked, but splitting this road trip was fine and we're still in good shape to finish 12-4 or 11-5 in conference, either of which should be good enough to get us an at-large bid.

The rest of the schedule shapes up nicely for us. We've got 5 more home games, three of which we'll be heavily favored in (St. B, Fordham, and Richmond). Obviously, X and UD will be biggies, but is there anybody on this board that thinks we shouldn't win those games? We also have two road games against a team we beat by 27 at home (Duq.) and the worst team in the league (RI). Again, I feel very comfortable marking those down as wins. So, the biggest stretch will be our two games at Lasalle and St. Joe. Again, a split would be fine, anything more would be gravy.

Now please come back from the ledge.

I say we shoot for 13-3, no more conference losses, 25-5 overall going into the A-10 Tournament. It can be done. The Anaheim Billikens could do that.

SLU can sweep those games in Philly. SLU did that 2 years ago on the blizzard trip.

All the better. I'm just pointing out that realistically, we're still on target for what many of us said would be enough to get us in.

But winning out would not be impossible.

All the better. I'm just pointing out that realistically, we're still on target for what many of us said would be enough to get us in.

But winning out would not be impossible.

I actually think the toughest game left is the Xavier rematch at Chaifetz Arena. I think SLU is better than the rest of the remaining opponents, irrespective of venue. Xavier will have something to play for in that rematch. But it would be great to sweep X, and 9-0 the rest of the way is doable.

The toughest place left in terms of opponent fans and tough venue is St. Joe's, but our SLU team has had a good history there. Duquesne and URI will probably be more than half empty venues.

I think we're better than everybody left on the schedule, but there's always those nights (see yesterday at UMASS) where we're playing a fired up team in a hostile venue and a few opposing players play over their heads while our guys are laying eggs. It's why a crappy Oklahoma State can beat a good (yeah, I said it) Mizzou team or a mediocre Illini team can beat a very good Ohio State team. College ball is littered with these examples and it's why it's the best sport.

We are still favored in all our remaining games. Our 2 toughest games are still the back to back St. J and LaS games. We will be favored but they will be very close. The Dayton game won't be easy but we should win that one. Before the last Dayton game someone asked me if the loss of their 2nd leading scorer would affect them. I replied not in the short term but yes, in the longer term. I think we are seeing that affect now. Obviously in the short term they did fine ....taking us down in OT. When we played them last they were an A- team. They have since faded to B. Our next game with D should be a win for us. X and Duq will be med difficulty but be in the win category. Rich, Ford, RI, and St. Bon should all be wins. So it looks to me that we either split that road trip in Philly and have 1 more loss or win all the remaining games. What can go wrong ? A loss to St. J followed by a loss to LaS....and momentum dies though this is the least likely of the 3 outcomes.

As always, if we just play at our regular level we will be fine.

We are still favored in all our remaining games. Our 2 toughest games are still the back to back St. J and LaS games. We will be favored but they will be very close. The Dayton game won't be easy but we should win that one. Before the last Dayton game someone asked me if the loss of their 2nd leading scorer would affect them. I replied not in the short term but yes, in the longer term. I think we are seeing that affect now. Obviously in the short term they did fine ....taking us down in OT. When we played them last they were an A- team. They have since faded to B. Our next game with D should be a win for us. X and Duq will be med difficulty but be in the win category. Rich, Ford, RI, and St. Bon should all be wins. So it looks to me that we either split that road trip in Philly and have 1 more loss or win all the remaining games. What can go wrong ? A loss to St. J followed by a loss to LaS....and momentum dies though this is the least likely of the 3 outcomes.

As always, if we just play at our regular level we will be fine.

that is exactly the problem

I say we shoot for 13-3, no more conference losses, 25-5 overall going into the A-10 Tournament. It can be done. The Anaheim Billikens could do that.

SLU can sweep those games in Philly. SLU did that 2 years ago on the blizzard trip.

I completely agree. Nearly anyway you look at it we are the class of this league. I think winning out is VERY realistic.

that is exactly the problem

I really think we've only lost 2 games all season where we didn't play at or above our "regular level" - Loyola and UMASS. We were expected to lose to New Mexico by 2, we lost by 4. We were slight favorites against UD, we lost in OT. We lost to Temple at home by 5, but they played above their "regular level" and shot lights out.

Even the UMASS game, while we shot poorly from the line and missed a number of bunnies, they played like it was their super bowl and shot 65% in the first half in front of a high-energy crowd. Tough game to win for anybody.

Even the UMASS game, while we shot poorly from the line and missed a number of bunnies, they played like it was their super bowl and shot 65% in the first half in front of a high-energy crowd. Tough game to win for anybody.

-this is what in some ways has me concerned as we become other teams' super bowl, not sure we are ready for that but our staff should be

-being that super bowl opponent is another step in the program development

-i hate the 'overrated' cheer as it degrades the team cheering that but it was good in a way to hear that chanted to us on saturday

Well, fortunately our road opponents the rest of the way include 2 of the weaker teams in the conference and 2 middle-tier teams. That's what makes the St. Joe/LaSalle trip so important. In my mind, they're the toughest games we have left because they're good enough to beat us with a big crowd behind them, but not so good that we can't beat them if we take care of business. Lose both and there's no margin for error. Split, we're fine, with one game to spare. Win both and maybe we can begin talking about a conference championship.

Obviously it doesn't matter if we don't take care of business at home vs. Bona and UD, but I get the feeling we're going to see a pair of butt kickings.

I really think we've only lost 2 games all season where we didn't play at or above our "regular level" - Loyola and UMASS. We were expected to lose to New Mexico by 2, we lost by 4. We were slight favorites against UD, we lost in OT. We lost to Temple at home by 5, but they played above their "regular level" and shot lights out.

+1

When a team shoots 65% you are not going to win the half...whether you are the Bills or Carolina. But even with their "Super" half if we just played an average game against UMass we win by 4.

Is the remaining schedule sweepable? Without hesitation -- absolutley. Meaning best case we finish 13 - 3. Will that happen? Confidence level for such a scenario is at 5%. Why? We cannot take Xavier fo rgranted at home in the rematch and winning on the road for this team is haphazard and hard to predict. It's okay thouhg -- happens to everyone. See North Carolina in Tallahasse. See Duke in Columbus. Seee Ohio State in Champaign and Bloomington.

What should happen? I expect to protect our house, but with a tussel with Xavier. Best 5 more wins; worse 4 wins. So that's 9 - 3 or 8 - 4. Leaving the four on the road. Worst case is lose all four and it's 8 and 8. Win two of those and it's 10 - 6. Win three and it's 11- 5. I am no ttaking anyhting for granted by this team on the road.

The road will be the difference.

@billboy1 -- true, but not my point. My point is doo-doo happens. Saints at Rams. Mets vs. Orioles 1969. Jets vs. Colts same year. Hobbled Willis Reed against Wilt. Kirk Gibson World Series bottom of the ninth. Kenyon Martin breaks leg.

This team doesn't have the history or track record to take anything for granted and neither does its fan base. That explains why no even keel on this board. We're all virgins (oh, look, bonowich has his hand down his pants checking again!).

@72: count me in the camp of Andy Reed must go. Yeah, yeah --- most tenured coach in the NFL. Best winning percentage among Eagles coaches. Four (or five) NFC Championship games, one Super Bowl, no real "signature" wins. It's always his fault at the podium where he says nothing. He knows best and puts guys like Juan Castillo in different positions than they might be ready for. The Eagles spend millions on defensive backs but as buck-two-eighty on arguably the most important position on defense, linebacker. His game management is horrible. His play calling is throw-throw-throw and he can't pick up a third-and-one or a fourth-and one. But th epersonnel is acquired for his game plan, so he must win it all next year or be gone. No quarter.

Problem is the team is his, designed to play his West Coast girly-girl offense. Fast break football. Win the game 58 to 42. Know what screws that up? Cold NE winters. Vince Young coined "the Dream team" and I believe the nightmare of him being on this team is over. He had a one-year deal; go with Kafka. Vick? Guy is electrifying but brittle. Blitz from the defensive right and he has problems. And he's small so oops, fall on him, sneeze on him, do anything to knock his arse out. Legally (or not). He is not protected by the Brady Rule, that's for sure.

If I were you I'd lap it up for sure. But recognize this: you've got the Brian Gregory of pro football roaming your sidelines. He is always the great equalizer in my book. The Giants win in spite of him.

On a side note, my adoptive team the Ravens should have been there. They made Brady look human but he still won. The method is in what the Steelers did to the Patriots this year ---- push your corners up and abuse the Patriot smurfs at wideout. Of course you need LBs that can cover Gronk and Hernandez. How hurt is Gronk?

Bottom line: cannot root for the Redskins, Cowboys or Giants. EVER!

Taj Mahal, TC is the Brian Gregory of the NFL? Uh, I hardly think so. Look I'm just like every other Gman fan, whey they lose 4 in a row, it's time for a change. But the guy keeps getting himself and his team off the mat. By the way the Ravens got jobbed, but that's not unusual in NE. We better get off this topic or we're gonna tick some people off.

Well, fortunately our road opponents the rest of the way include 2 of the weaker teams in the conference and 2 middle-tier teams. That's what makes the St. Joe/LaSalle trip so important. In my mind, they're the toughest games we have left because they're good enough to beat us with a big crowd behind them, but not so good that we can't beat them if we take care of business. Lose both and there's no margin for error. Split, we're fine, with one game to spare. Win both and maybe we can begin talking about a conference championship.

Obviously it doesn't matter if we don't take care of business at home vs. Bona and UD, but I get the feeling we're going to see a pair of butt kickings.

Great stuff in this thread, Sshoe

I think we're better than everybody left on the schedule, .

I think we're better than everybody in the league. Which means everybody else on the schedule, plus Temple. But, I'll qualify that by saying that our "A" game is better than any other A-10 teams "A" game. The problem of course is consistency. The Bills have been playing their "B" game for long stretches in several games, which led, and will lead to more "L"'s, unless they do become more consistent. Of course many here have brought this up already, and all teams have this problem from time to time.

Ultimately, the winner of the A-10 conference title ( a conference with a lot of parity) is going to be which one of the top 4 or 5 teams that plays their "A" game the most consistently.

The solution isn't so much KM getting his scoring mojo back, or hitting our freethrows, or benching KC, it's playing together as a team for nearly 40 minutes. That's the way they played against Washington, and many of the teams in the Anaheim tournament.

...and it starts on defense.

Some will disagree, especially with the way things have been going in the NFL lately, but, in almost every sport, a strong defense will beat a strong offense.