1-1 Road Trip...thoughts?

JettFlight5

True. I'm absolutely a fan of Cassity coming off the bench and Jordair starting, but I just don't think that today is the day to complain about Cassity. KM, DE, BC all had rough games all around.

I hear you. I guess it's my belief that if he doesn't play 12 minutes in the first half we aren't down 19. But, you are right, KM, DE, BC and JJ (on the FTs and the stupid early turnovers) deserve a lot of criticism.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts of a frustrated fan:

1) UMass is such an undisciplined team - their offense if street ball - everyone just doing 1 on 1 and relying on their athleticism. We beat them on a neutral court.

2) Conk is a warrier - with a bad ankle he still gets us 17 pts and 8 rebounds. Doesn't that kind of effort rub off on Cory? Geez.

3) 4 pts in 36 minutes for Kwamain?? we don't win if Kwamain has 4 pts and two TOs/2 assists.

4) Dwayne didn't shoot it well but he played defense and led the team with 12 rebounds....... if Cory could do that it would be huge

5) Jordair - we love you - but please lock yourself in the gym this offseason and become a 75% FT shooter

6) Mike - 2 points in 21 minutes doesn't cut it

7) I am stunned that Barnett gets no minutes - this is the surprise of the season for me

8) we could have won this game if we didn't let our defense lapse in the final 5 minutes of the first half - our defense can never let down

9) next two games are huge

10) Go Bills!! play tough

UMass won't be in first place very long. If KM does not start playing better and the team does not start playing consistently good, smart basketball, we are not going to get an invitation to the NCAA tournament. Anytime we have a player on one good ankle play better than his teammates, there is something that is not right.

KM has been pretty bad on D all year long. He had the good game against Fernandez, but that's about it.

Cassity played 12 minutes today. Give him a break. There are a lot of guys who I would complain about for the way they played today before him.

Nobody should be benched for how they play ina single game. Cassity's game today was the same as he's played all year...invisible. It's time to move in a different direction and his limited playing time the past two games likely shows that majerus has figured it out.

I'm more frustrated with Dwayne than Cassity. Dwayne has great games and bad games, but they both seem to be pretty big extremes. He'll put up 20 and 10 or he'll go 2-12 like he did today with some terrible terrible shot selection.

Dwayne's shots were just not falling today. He hustled his ass of today. Some are saying his play was terrible, bad, etc. He scored 7 points and had 12 boards. What % of A1o games this year will somebody pull down 12 boards?

Yes, DE's shots were not falling, but if DE had a terrble or really bad game, then what happens when he has a teriffic game - 25 points and 30 boards?

When I wrote my comment the other day about "pray for good weather," I was kind of assuming that after a night game at Xavier, they'd go back to the hotel and sleep in the next morning and spend the rest of Thursday getting to Amherst. Instead they got back to campus after midnight Thursday morning and were practicing by 2:30. I bet at least some of them had and tried to make classes Thursday morning, and I'm guessing they spent the better part of Friday on at least two planes.

Anyone else wonder why they came home in between? Is a practice in your home gym that important?

Dwayne's shots were just not falling today. He hustled his ass of today. Some are saying his play was terrible, bad, etc. He scored 7 points and had 12 boards. What % of A1o games this year will somebody pull down 12 boards?

Yes, DE's shots were not falling, but if DE had a terrble or really bad game, then what happens when he has a teriffic game - 25 points and 30 boards?

He did rebound well and played tough defense. I know shots don't always fall, but I question his shot selection. He seems to force it a lot of time. I'm frustrated in him because I know he can have big games offensively when he takes good shots.

Agreed. DE was driving aggressively (a couple of times out of control), but shots he normally makes at a high percentage were not falling.

When I wrote my comment the other day about "pray for good weather," I was kind of assuming that after a night game at Xavier, they'd go back to the hotel and sleep in the next morning and spend the rest of Thursday getting to Amherst. Instead they got back to campus after midnight Thursday morning and were practicing by 2:30. I bet at least some of them had and tried to make classes Thursday morning, and I'm guessing they spent the better part of Friday on at least two planes.

Anyone else wonder why they came home in between? Is a practice in your home gym that important?

Coach probably tried to get them to class and a quick practice. He is more committed to academics than many other coaches.

Yes, far down from his 25+ mins he was getting earlier in the year. The difference between today and Xavier was that our other players were playing well.

So we have a two game sample size of his reduced minutes. The team is 1-1 in those games.

In the game they win it is because Kyle played less minutes. In the game that they lost, the team lost because everyone else played horrible. So when it's bad - blame KC. When it's good - everyone else gets credit.

Does anyone think we came out slow since our leader BC did not start? I know he got in 3.5 minutes in the game, but if the heart and soul of the team is not 100% and not starting in an almost sold out big game on the road, it can do things to you mentally.

This topic in general scares the heck out of me for next year. No matter how good your guards are, you cannot win a ton of games with no inside presence. Will JM be able to replace BC by next year? I think he needs another year after this one to do that. RL will not fill that role and nor will CE.

Does anyone think we came out slow since our leader BC did not start? I know he got in 3.5 minutes in the game, but if the heart and soul of the team is not 100% and not starting in an almost sold out big game on the road, it can do things to you mentally.

This topic in general scares the heck out of me for next year. No matter how good your guards are, you cannot win a ton of games with no inside presence. Will JM be able to replace BC by next year? I think he needs another year after this one to do that. RL will not fill that role and nor will CE.

I was thinking it would be DE. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

I thought we came out all right and then BC had the "and 1" opportunity, but missed the ft. That 3 points in the last 7 minutes is what killed us in my opinion.

So we have a two game sample size of his reduced minutes. The team is 1-1 in those games.

In the game they win it is because Kyle played less minutes. In the game that they lost, the team lost because everyone else played horrible. So when it's bad - blame KC. When it's good - everyone else gets credit.

The problem is that there should be high expectation on KC. He knows RM's system after 4 years and as a senior he needs to step up in so many ways and just hasn't. When you only have 2 seniors and one is doing little to nothing it hurts you big time. The problem isn't as much as benching KC and putting somebody else in, it's more the fact that you have to reduce his minutes to begin with.

The problem is that there should be high expectation on KC. He knows RM's system after 4 years and as a senior he needs to step up in so many ways and just hasn't. When you only have 2 seniors and one is doing little to nothing it hurts you big time. The problem isn't as much as benching KC and putting somebody else in, it's more the fact that you have to reduce his minutes to begin with.

I think that's part of the reason there's a split on him. I agree with you, he should have very high expectations since he's the veteran of the team. I think the beginning of last year, when he was "forced" into a role he wasn't comfortable with, has destroyed his confidence.

Yesterday, a urologist cut open my scrotum and proceeded to sever and cauterize my vas defrens. That was more pleasant than watching the first half of today's game.

Ha! What you just stated made me think that KC is more afraid to shoot than a man fresh off a vasectomy.

LOL. I dont know what games you have been watching or maybe you are just a KC homer, I dont know. KC SHOULD NOT EVER start. He should be 7 or 8th man and only in to give breathers. We are a far better team when he is off the court. And Majerus is seeing that ie KC with significantly less minutes.

Yesterday, a urologist cut open my scrotum and proceeded to sever and cauterize my vas defrens. That was more pleasant than watching the first half of today's game.

SO YOU MADE US LOSE! The Archbishop, and maybe even Cardinal Dolan, heard about it and put a general anathema on the entire SLU community (including the various pagan babies on our basketball team) because of your mortal sin. You should not have the balls to show your face at the 'Fetz again.

(Oh, sorry, you just admitted that you don't. ;) )

You know who else needs to step up? Kwamain.

Do I wish Kyle would play better? Obviously. But his stagnant offense is not the reason this game was lost. That was why I jumped into this whole discussion in the first place.

You know who else is supposed to be a senior? Kwamain. He's also had four years under RM and has completely regressed from his Sophomore year. He has the potential to be infinitely better, yet he hasn't shown up the last several games.

He got worked against Kevin Dilllard, Lyons & Holloway, and now that midget on Umass. I expected more.

You know who else needs to step up? Kwamain.

Do I wish Kyle would play better? Obviously. But his stagnant offense is not the reason this game was lost. That was why I jumped into this whole discussion in the first place.

You know who else is supposed to be a senior? Kwamain. He's also had four years under RM and has completely regressed from his Sophomore year. He has the potential to be infinitely better, yet he hasn't shown up the last several games.

He got worked against Kevin Dilllard, Lyons & Holloway, and now that midget on Umass. I expected more.

You are right. KM is not what I thought he would be this year. However, his play is still far and away better than what KC brings.