Painter Going to Purdue

Flashback to Shaw's verbal commitment:

http://www.southernillinoisan.com/rednews/...rts/SPO001.html

In the middle of SIU's recruitment of Shaw, Saluki head coach Bruce Weber took the job at Illinois and Painter was handed the reins. But Painter, then the assistant, was the Saluki coach Shaw had the most contact with.

"At first I was a little iffy about it," Shaw said. "I never really got to know Coach Weber that well."

But it was a word or two from Mount Vernon's Kent Williams, who recently finished up his stellar career at SIU, that helped seal Shaw's decision.

"It was very important," Shaw said. "I found out me and Kent are a lot alike. One of my concerns was the respect that the players had for Coach Painter. And he helped me out a lot here. He thought everybody (in the program) respected him.

"My development as a player was another concern. (Williams) said all the coaches down there, even through they are new, he knew Coach Painter would work with me. Those were my main concerns."

After being reportedly courted by the entire Missouri Valley Conference, Shaw's decision came down to SIU and Saint Louis, which recently received its third oral commitment from East St. Louis standout Tommie Liddell.

Sometimes, saying 'No' is harder than saying, 'Yes.' And it was for Shaw when it came to tell Saint Louis coach Brad Soderberg which direction he was heading.

"It took me awhile to get up the strength to do it," said Shaw, who joked that he couldn't get his dad to do it for him.

that Bruce Webber's opinion would matter very little at this point. A year removed, I don't think the head coach for the other major state school should have a say in hiring decisions. If the coach is qualified then he should get it on his own merits.

Given the success of his senior season I would suspect that if Matt Shaw were to re-open his recruitment (doubt it but you never know) he would draw a lot of looks from "big" conference schools. There aren't many unsigned players as good as him still available. The Bills would have their hands full if such a situation were to arise.

If Shaw wants out of his LOI, he better ask out soon. The Spring signing period is coming up soon. I would love to see us sign him as our next pf, but does he have the slashing/athletic abilities that a lot of us say we need in our next pf?

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

If Lowery is indeed the next SIU-C, he fits the mold of the previous four SIU-C head coaches in that none of them ..... Matt Painter, Bruce Weber, Rich Herrin, Allen Van Winkle(sp?).... had previous D1 head coaching experience. Painter and Weber were career assistants, Herrin came out of an area high school program, and Van Winkle a Michigan juco. If I'm wrong on the chain of coaches, please correct me.

Guys- Do me a favor! It is not SIU-C, the other SIU (E) does not really count, it is just SIU dammit!! You don't say UM-C as opposed to UM-R, as in Rolla, do you?? I realize it is a local thing in St. Louis, but it bugs the crap out of Saluki fans!!

SIU SIU SIU SIU SIU SIU, got it?

I could be wrong but I just don't see Matt Shaw in a Billiken Blue Uni next season. If he doesn't stay at SIU (notice there is no C) then I would guess he would want to go to Purdue with Painter who he apparently likes and was a main reason for choosing SIU over SLU. I'd bet that our coaching staff will be working very hard to sign the best 4 on their board starting Weds. April 14th.

whatsasaluki said, "You don't say UM-C as opposed to UM-R, as in Rolla, do you??"

mostly we just use spumac.

I did a poor job of making my point. I agree that if you say Alabama or Mizzou you mean the main state University.

The think it is a little different for SIU. I have heard kids in O'Fallon say they are going to SIU and they are going to Edwardsville.

Saying all that, I do think most feel when you say SIU you mean Carbondale, and if you go to SIU-E, you just say you are going to Edwardsville.

I think I should have kept my mouth shut. Way too much discussion about an insignificant issue. Since it is Good Friday, I will fast the rest of the day from making anymore comments.

Everyone have a nice Easter Sunday.