Suggestion for Season Ticket Holders

AlumniFan

Sorry, yes, they are and should continue to do so. The GW game had a nice showing. I meant to quote Cheesemans post about him being not sure on if we should give free tix away or not and its long term impact for us.

I don't want to get into a big argument over this, because like cheeseman, I can see it both ways. BUT it's not as simple as you make it out to be. Programs like Groupon devalue your product and can cause you to hurt future business. People who may only go to a few games a year might use the groupon deal and never be willing to pay full price again. Just a thought. There's some interesting articles that address this issue with Groupon.

I don't want to get into a big argument over this, because like cheeseman, I can see it both ways. BUT it's not as simple as you make it out to be. Programs like Groupon devalue your product and can cause you to hurt future business. People who may only go to a few games a year might use the groupon deal and never be willing to pay full price again. Just a thought. There's some interesting articles that address this issue with Groupon.

As someone who has used Groupon in two different retail businesses to drive volume, I can tell you that used properly it works very effectively. My proposal to start this thread is simply around making people feel good about their experience at a Billiken game. I have never seen making people feel good about an experience become more of a detriment than a positive. I am sure if we all thought hard enough, we could think up a scenario where that is not true (e.g. introducing someone to illicit drugs), but I would prefer to spend my time trying to make people feel good about their Billiken/SLU experience than spend time coming up with reasons something will not work.

Nothing personal at or about anyone - just my perspective.

I have 2 extra tickets. I'll plan on giving them away about 30 mins before game time at gate B

I'm taking an admitted student, who is coming down Wednesday from Cincinnati for a college visit, to the game. I'll be sure to try and find u before the game!

A free ticket may sway her.

I'm taking an admitted student, who is coming down Wednesday from Cincinnati for a college visit, to the game. I'll be sure to try and find u before the game!

A free ticket may sway her.

I'll save em for you if you want me to. Private message me if you want em.

I'm more rowdy than a Boy Scout, that's for sure. In my experience, scouting and athletics don't really mix. I do try to encourage fellow AARP members to at least pay attention to the game., or they'll get the kibosh. Right, joe ?

I hear ya WPJ. Good to see you up at the Fieldhouse the other day.

Sorry, yes, they are and should continue to do so. The GW game had a nice showing. I meant to quote Cheesemans post about him being not sure on if we should give free tix away or not and its long term impact for us.

I don't want to speak for Cheeseman but when I read his post I didn't take away that he was complaining that SLU may have given away free tickets or heavily discounted tickets to the boy scouts, but rather that he was responding to the initial post that said season ticket holders should give away their extra tickets to people standing in line to BUY a ticket.

To me, they are two separate questions and as DA Love points out even pure ticket giveaways to fans can have a negative long term consequence if it degrades the value of season tickets, etc. That being said, SLU should do everything reasonably in their power to fill the place and it seems like many positive steps have been taken.

As to Alumnifan's original post, I don't disagree with most of his premise (i.e. try to give unused tickets away) but I can't help but think that every person that is standing in line to buy a ticket is going to the game anyway so the only thing that happens in that scenario is SLU loses revenue from the ticket sale. If season ticket holders have extras its far better to give somebody that wouldn't have otherwise gone to the game (friends, co-workers, etc.) the ticket. This, of course, requires a little bit of planning in the days prior to the game but it can be done. That way SLU keeps the same revenue, the place is more crowded, etc. Its the proverbial win win.

I don't want to speak for Cheeseman but when I read his post I didn't take away that he was complaining that SLU may have given away free tickets or heavily discounted tickets to the boy scouts, but rather that he was responding to the initial post that said season ticket holders should give away their extra tickets to people standing in line to BUY a ticket.

To me, they are two separate questions and as DA Love points out even pure ticket giveaways to fans can have a negative long term consequence if it degrades the value of season tickets, etc. That being said, SLU should do everything reasonably in their power to fill the place and it seems like many positive steps have been taken.

As to Alumnifan's original post, I don't disagree with most of his premise (i.e. try to give unused tickets away) but I can't help but think that every person that is standing in line to buy a ticket is going to the game anyway so the only thing that happens in that scenario is SLU loses revenue from the ticket sale. If season ticket holders have extras its far better to give somebody that wouldn't have otherwise gone to the game (friends, co-workers, etc.) the ticket. This, of course, requires a little bit of planning in the days prior to the game but it can be done. That way SLU keeps the same revenue, the place is more crowded, etc. Its the proverbial win win.

Kshoe, I am more interested in keeping my revenue than SLU making more. Keep those tickets coming!

You have an empty stadium. You have little press coverage. What do you think will get butts in seats / long time fans? Giving away free tickets and winning. The seats will be empty any way, so giving away the tickets means they will likely buy beverages and food and we have a chance to capture the hearts of a couple of them and have them come back again for more (this time as paying customers).

This is a pretty basic business 101 move. Not sure why any one would have an issue with it. If you do, then you should probably never ever ***** again about how empty the Chaifetz is and how 'sucky the marketing dept is'. Just MHO. I say keep it up until people are begging for a seat.

You missed my whole point - the thread was about giving tix away free to those who are standing in line ready to buy tix. I said I saw both sides but my concern is that when you give tix away to those who really do not care that much I have often come to find out that they decided not to go or something else came up - whatever. My point was if you do not require some skin in the game from people then they simply do not help long term. Selling tix for $5 is better than giving them away for SLU and their efforts. And yes, Kshoe stated my point exactly - also, the stadium has never been empty - they have consistently drawn 6K or more for even exhib. games. I do agree that 9K is better.

+1 I completely agree. Giving a ticket to somebody who is already at the Arena to buy a ticket, doesn't make any sense. It costs the program revenue and it is not bringing new people into the building. I gave a couple tix to a friend last year who has a young son who is getting into basketball. My friend hadn't been to a game in many years and had never been to Chaifetz. They had a great time and bought tix for the Duquesne game this year.

Email from SLU Athletics:

"Dear SLU Students,

We hope you are enjoying the holiday break. Your Billiken men's basketball team is off to their best start since the 1993-94 season with a 13 - 3 record. They have a big A-10 Conference matchup on Wednesday, January 11, at Chaifetz Arena at 8 pm against the Temple Owls. All SLU students with a valid SLU ID can get into the game for free, and bring a guest in for free as well. Your support makes a difference, and we hope to see you there. Go Billikens!"

In addition, faculty and staff can get 2 free tickets to tonight's game. From SLU newslink:

"FREE TICKETS FOR EMPLOYEES: As part of Faculty and Staff Fan Appreciation Night, the Department of Athletics will offer free tickets for tonight’s men’s basketball game against Temple, scheduled for 8 p.m. at Chaifetz Arena. Employees can receive two tickets by presenting a valid SLU faculty or staff ID at the Chaifetz Arena Box Office from 9 a.m. through halftime of the game. For more information, contact the Billiken Ticket Office at 314-977-1260 or [email protected]. File photo"

+1 I completely agree. Giving a ticket to somebody who is already at the Arena to buy a ticket, doesn't make any sense. It costs the program revenue and it is not bringing new people into the building. I gave a couple tix to a friend last year who has a young son who is getting into basketball. My friend hadn't been to a game in many years and had never been to Chaifetz. They had a great time and bought tix for the Duquesne game this year.

Let's be clear about some obvious points. When you have extra tickets, it is best to first try to get a friend, colleague, client, etc. to join you at the game. Sometimes, that is not possible. My daughter who usually attends games with us, will often have something come up at the last moment - homework, practice, a babysitting job - and I don't have time to invite someone else.

I have two choices - 1) let two seats in the lower bowl behind the Billikens bench go empty with no fans, no one in them cheering, OR 2) I can take steps to get someone in those seats. I could sell them to the guys that stand outside the parking lot, but I don't think that accomplishes nearly as much as giving free tickets to some guy with his kid who otherwise would probably end up with much worse seats. If they see a bad game, they may think, "Gee, that was still a really nice experience, I may come back.". Plus, I can tell them all the good things about the team and the school for two hours.

Say whatever you want, but I will take #2 over an extra $30 for the school any day.

Since I don't have season tickets any longer I'm usually willing to pay someting or buy a couple of beers for a good ticket. Right now I just buy the cheapest to get in and find a better place to sit. I just can't go to Monday, Wednesday, Saturday day games or most Sundays. Which is obviously why I gave up my seats. Tues, Thurs, or Friday games I'm always wanting to go

Let's be clear about some obvious points. When you have extra tickets, it is best to first try to get a friend, colleague, client, etc. to join you at the game. Sometimes, that is not possible. My daughter who usually attends games with us, will often have something come up at the last moment - homework, practice, a babysitting job - and I don't have time to invite someone else.

I have two choices - 1) let two seats in the lower bowl behind the Billikens bench go empty with no fans, no one in them cheering, OR 2) I can take steps to get someone in those seats. I could sell them to the guys that stand outside the parking lot, but I don't think that accomplishes nearly as much as giving free tickets to some guy with his kid who otherwise would probably end up with much worse seats. If they see a bad game, they may think, "Gee, that was still a really nice experience, I may come back.". Plus, I can tell them all the good things about the team and the school for two hours.

Say whatever you want, but I will take #2 over an extra $30 for the school any day.

I think you're doing the right thing

Email from SLU Athletics:

"Dear SLU Students,

We hope you are enjoying the holiday break. Your Billiken men's basketball team is off to their best start since the 1993-94 season with a 13 - 3 record. They have a big A-10 Conference matchup on Wednesday, January 11, at Chaifetz Arena at 8 pm against the Temple Owls. All SLU students with a valid SLU ID can get into the game for free, and bring a guest in for free as well. Your support makes a difference, and we hope to see you there. Go Billikens!"

In addition, faculty and staff can get 2 free tickets to tonight's game. From SLU newslink:

"FREE TICKETS FOR EMPLOYEES: As part of Faculty and Staff Fan Appreciation Night, the Department of Athletics will offer free tickets for tonight’s men’s basketball game against Temple, scheduled for 8 p.m. at Chaifetz Arena. Employees can receive two tickets by presenting a valid SLU faculty or staff ID at the Chaifetz Arena Box Office from 9 a.m. through halftime of the game. For more information, contact the Billiken Ticket Office at 314-977-1260 or [email protected]. File photo"

Kudos for the Athletic Dept. marketing department! They are obviously trying hard to fill up the arena for a big game. Nice job!