Duke's Non- Conference Schedule

Looking back thru ten years of Blue Ribbon magazines it appears the follow teams had one or more home-and-homes with Duke: Illinois, Michigan, UCLA, Villanova, St. Johns, DePaul, Temple, Georgetown, and Boston College.

Teams that appeared to have had "road games" only at Duke included: Brown, GWU, Boston, Delaware, Monmouth, Western Carolina, Lehigh, Campbell, Mercer, Portland State, Fairfield, Columbia, Wm & Mary, Dayton, Butler, San Diego St, Detroit, Princeton, and Valpo.

A couple of teams have had multiple games at Duke and a occasional neutral site game near the other school: these include Army, Davidson, NC A&T, SC State.

I hope we accept nothing less than a home and home. Though playing at Duke would give us some extra exposure, I don't really see how getting our butts kicked at Cameron Indoor really benefits the program. If they wanted to play one at Cameron and one at the Ed Dome that would be fine also, but I would the University would want to play them at the new on Campus arena.

is the general assumption we cant compete. to be completely honest, i am not a big duke is invinceable fan. plus it is the rare instance that a brad soderberg team gets blown out. i honestly expect to compete and have a chance to win. let's go play the game and show the world is what i say. bring on the mcd's all american like sean dockery, shavlik randolph and the bianchianni kid. all overated imo.

(of course that said, the deng kid has no business playing college basketball)

It's rare that SLU plays a top 5 team in the country. We will get blown out (yes I know Louisville was no. 2 last year, but they were clearly overrated and that was a home game).

Let's be realistic here. If we played the game 100 times we would maybe win twice.

I just don't understand a one shot game like this. I agree with a post in the previous thread - much better a home and home with Virginia or NC State than one road game at Duke.

I think this scheduling makes us look like amateurs. That said, Brad apparently has learned from the 3 cream puff mistake this year and hopefully will learn from this.

Although he would save himself some heartache if we would check with us here on billikens.com before scheduling!!!

I agree with you Roy.....Coach Soderberg is as good of a big-game planner as there is...the Bills are usually ready when it comes to the big boys.

The real issue is that some Bills fans on here are more interested in what they can brag about around the water cooler than what the team's goals are....some people in here don't want us to play at Duke because we may get our butts kicked on national TV??? If we have any aspirations of being a national program, which by the way Coach Soderberg has had from the very beginning. We need to play the Duke's of the world when we get a chance to play them on national TV. Anywhere and anytime....

A game like this works on many levels for Saint Louis:

1- It will be a sell-out, our guys never play in front of sell-outs, especially at Savvis and on the road in the C-USA with maybe the exceptions of Cincinnati and Louisville. Even though the NIT stacked the deck against us, the loss to Notre Dame in Fort Wayne will prepare our young players for the hostile environments we will face in the big games next year.

2- It will prepare our guys for the intensity of conference and tournament play at the highest level.

3- It will help our strength of schedule, win or lose.

4- If anything positive happens for us...it will be plastered all over the national media. And if we lose, Duke got another home win.

I say lets be serious about winning the Conference, qualifying for the NCAA's and going deep in the tournament. Playing Duke irregardless of the arrangement is a good step in that direction.

We played Duke home and home when Grawer had Douglas, Bonner, and Gray - we lost both, but didn't get blown out in either - both might have been single digit losses - you'd have to check the media guide. Do you think Duke is better now than then, or that we are worse?

>bring on the mcd's all american like sean dockery, shavlik

>randolph and the bianchianni kid. all overated imo.

I pretty sure that Lee Melchionni wasn't a McD's All-American. In fact, I think he may have walked on his freshman year and got a scholarship a year later. I don't think he gets much playing time.

Dockery and Randolph would probably be major players for most teams in the country, including. I for one would gladly take either one, especially Randolph, on the Billikens.

Anyways, even if the above players haven't lived up to the lofty expectations they had, they're still pretty good basketball players. You also have to remember that next year Duke should still have guys like J.J. Redick, Daniel Ewing, Sheldon Williams, and recruit Demarcus Nelson, plus maybe Luol Deng(who you did mention as a great player) and Shawn Livingston depending on what happens with the NBA Draft.

I'm as big of a SLU optimist as anyone, and while I look at every game as a potential victory, I think that playing the Dukies at Cameron Indoor would be a very difficult task to say the least.

1984 home - lost 97-64 - we were 13-15

1985 away - lost 84-58 - we were 18-12

1988 (Jan) away - lost 69-53 - we were 14-14

If you complain about sos now, you should consult the media guide for the Grawer years; of course, Duke did us a favor to play us. Other than Xavier, our best competition was Xmas tournaments or the NIT... and the Valley...

>The real issue is that some Bills fans on here are more

>interested in what they can brag about around the water

>cooler than what the team's goals are....some people in here

>don't want us to play at Duke because we may get our butts

>kicked on national TV??? If we have any aspirations of

>being a national program, which by the way Coach Soderberg

>has had from the very beginning. We need to play the Duke's

>of the world when we get a chance to play them on national

>TV. Anywhere and anytime....

I think you misunderstand. I have no qualms about SLU playing Duke. The game can even be at Cameron. What I have an issue with is that Duke should be willing to return the game and play on the Billikens' home court.

I don't understand the mindset that an elite team doesn't want to play on the road. I do understand that every school is allowed a certain number of guarantee games and needs to have them to fulfill the season ticket holders' demand, but other than that, the balance of games should be played on a reciprocal basis. If they're so great, then they should be able to win away from home. There's no excuse for Duke wanting SLU to play there but then not coming here, if that's really what's going on.

i totally agree. this is a all positive opportunity imo. the world thinks duke is on another planet. a great opportunity to make a mark. even if we lose by 30, most will say, "well it was duke at cameron". which imo is b.s. but still you know it plays out that way.

i say we go shock the world. who's with me........

that makes me say we should demand a home and home. What good would it do us to go up to Cameron and get hammered, possibly on ESPN? Let's say we play well and lose by 15, do you think people will say, "Wow SLU is a real up and coming program", or will they not even notice because we would be just another OOC victory for Duke at Cameron? Now, if we can get them to come here, I think it can give the program a real shot in the arm. We would be at the new arena and the place would be packed, and I think we would have a very real chance of winning.

i think he should have been shoulder to shoulder with lebron james and carmelo anthony at the rookie all-star game this year.

dont count me in that group. i am ready to go....

let's get a date so we can start the countdown to the day the billikens shock the world.

Seriously, If we lose by 30 to Duke at Cameron what does it matter? Most non-conference teams lose by similar margins there. Its just one game. The NCAA selection committee won't look down on us because of a blow-out loss and our RPI will only increase because margin of victory doesn't matter.

If the arguement is that it will hurt the Billikens confidence then that is crazy. Two years ago we lost by 33 at Arizona, then two games later we beat a very tough Dayton team. Later we lost by 22 to Butler and then came home and beat SIUC. Brad's teams have proven time and time again that they can bounce back from bad losses. I'd much rather lose by 30 to Duke than by 1 point to SMS.

kshoe is right on. i would rather play this one game than a hundred home games with north carolina att or grambling.

btw, duke lost 5 games this year. it isnt like they are on some kind of 6 year unbeaten streak. in fact they lost to a purdue team that was arguably a worse team than the billikens were this year.

play the game and shock the world.

drew said, "Let's say we play well and lose by 15, do you think people will say, "Wow SLU is a real up and coming program", or will they not even notice because we would be just another OOC victory for Duke at Cameron?"

well it depends on the way the game is played. what if the game is close only to have duke pull away at the end. dickie v would be forced to prime the billikens for most of the game. what if our younger players have a great game and it causes dickie v to make mention of "all the billikens need is......" again, the chance to be on espn is an opportunity to make things happen.