Where will the Billikens be on Jan 1?

TVACH13

I was looking at the AP Top 25 from LAST year on ESPN.com at Week 9 (Jan 3), and there were a couple of two or three loss teams ranked at that point.

So that poised the question, will the Billikens be in the Top 25 at the start of 2012?

I'm curious what your input is... how many losses will we have on January 1st? And who will those losses be to? And will we be ranked entering conference play?

I am thinking we only have two losses (Nova, and New Mexico), and towards the top of the receiving votes category.

Come on, TVACH. Let's not look ahead. One game at a time broski.

Just ran into billikenfan05 in the hallway. He said one loss, to New Mexico. Said we would win the tourney in Cali.

Also said Conklin would be in Top 5 for POTY for NCAA.

Alright, I lied about the second part.

I would like to point out that Xavier is ranked and that Washington, New Mexico, and Villanova are not. Right now when SLU beats people like Washington a lot of people also reevaluate their views on the other team (not just pumping SLU up). I am not saying that is fair and if Washington or New Mexico or Villanova start racking up victories they will be ranked (they are very good teams); but the notion that we will be ranked based on a few losses to unranked teams is not realistic.

New Mexico has already lost to N. Mexico State at home. The point is IF SLU is to get ranked it will need no losses or for their non-conference foes to get ranked themselves. We will get chances against Xavier and Temple may be ranked soon as well. None of this matters with regard to the tournament selection as rankings do not matter for that.

I would like to point out that Xavier is ranked and that Washington, New Mexico, and Villanova are not. Right now when SLU beats people like Washington a lot of people also reevaluate their views on the other team (not just pumping SLU up). I am not saying that is fair and if Washington or New Mexico or Villanova start racking up victories they will be ranked (they are very good teams); but the notion that we will be ranked based on a few losses to unranked teams is not realistic.

New Mexico has already lost to N. Mexico State at home. The point is IF SLU is to get ranked it will need no losses or for their non-conference foes to get ranked themselves. We will get chances against Xavier and Temple may be ranked soon as well. None of this matters with regard to the tournament selection as rankings do not matter for that.

+1

Obviously it would be fun to be ranked and all that, but rankings were partially created to help promote specific teams and/or games. Otherwise, they are generally meaningless when it comes to making the tournament.

I think we'll have two losses. I was hoping to come out of non-con play 10-3 or better so if we go 3-1 on the trip, take care of business at home during December and lose one to New Mexico we are still ahead of pace for getting an NCAA tourney at large.

+1

Obviously it would be fun to be ranked and all that, but rankings were partially created to help promote specific teams and/or games. Otherwise, they are generally meaningless when it comes to making the tournament.

I would think that rankings play, at least, a subconscious role for the Committee. I'm not sure if it has been the case, but if a team is #24 in the AP rankings, but 35 in the RPI, I think they are a lock for the tourney. If the team is 35 in the RPI, but not ranked in the top 25, they can be left out of the tourney (Mo. State).

Also, I think multiple ranked teams would be good for the A-10's perception as a good conference, which would ultimately look good on SLU's resume.

I would think that rankings play, at least, a subconscious role for the Committee. I'm not sure if it has been the case, but if a team is #24 in the AP rankings, but 35 in the RPI, I think they are a lock for the tourney. If the team is 35 in the RPI, but not ranked in the top 25, they can be left out of the tourney (Mo. State).

Also, I think multiple ranked teams would be good for the A-10's perception as a good conference, which would ultimately look good on SLU's resume.

Exactly what I was thinking. Perception is reality for the selection committee given they are humans and not comptuers. If Mo State had sniffed the top 25 they would been impossible to leave out.

I do also think that the "perceived meaning" of us dismantling UW diminishes them more than is raises us until we both win some more games.

I do also think that the "perceived meaning" of us dismantling UW diminishes them more than is raises us until we both win some more games.

This Thanksgiving weekend is really big for us. December's schedule is really weak (other then New Years eve with UNM) .

If we can have a good showing these next couple of days and take at least a 3rd in the A10, selection committee hard pressed to leave us out.

Good point, but I think it's possible that this scenario may have more to do with the inherent bias towards power conference teams that already exists with or without the ranking. It's certainly less common for a non-BCS school to get ranked by the pollsters and when they do, their RPIs often exceed their poll ranking. On the flip side, BCS teams with lower RPIs often still get ranked. So the question I ask is, does the ranking change the committee's perception of a particular team, or is the committee's perception, like the rankings themselves, already biased?

So the question I ask is, does the ranking change the committee's perception of a particular team, or is the committee's perception, like the rankings themselves, already biased?

Both are biased. And this is the reason we don't ever want to be in a conference without power teams like Xavier, Temple, and the like. A 35 RPI in the Valley gets you left home. A 35 RPI in the A10 will have you dancing. (sorry for bringing that up.)

Both are biased. And this is the reason we don't ever want to be in a conference without power teams like Xavier, Temple, and the like. A 35 RPI in the Valley gets you left home. A 35 RPI in the A10 will have you dancing. (sorry for bringing that up.)

Excellent point. Staying in a conference that is regularly talked about as one of if not the best non-big six (and often lately better than one or two of those) conferences really helps crediblity. Now the Bills still have to do their part--win games.

I would love to see the bills ranked in the top 25. It will be real tough if we don't have an excellent weekend in Anaheim. THe schedule after that isn;t much to write home about. Although, several of the teams in the top 25 each year pre-conference time play a rather light schedule. We haven't earned that level of respect yet.

I would love to see the bills ranked in the top 25. It will be real tough if we don't have an excellent weekend in Anaheim. THe schedule after that isn;t much to write home about. Although, several of the teams in the top 25 each year pre-conference time play a rather light schedule. We haven't earned that level of respect yet.

If we win the tournament this weekend - Top 25 (maybe even Top 20) is a lock. National coverage on ESPN, against decent basketball teams. Let's be honest - when is the last time we could say if we win the next 3 games we'll be on the national scene and ranked! Let's get this done!!

Way back when at some point Conk was mentioned as a potential academic All-American by Majerus. Considering the way he is playing, is there any chance of that happening? I don't really follow the award, but I was just wondering what it would require both athletically and academically and if anyone thinks it is a possibility for Conk?

Way back when at some point Conk was mentioned as a potential academic All-American by Majerus. Considering the way he is playing, is there any chance of that happening? I don't really follow the award, but I was just wondering what it would require both athletically and academically and if anyone thinks it is a possibility for Conk?

If 'POY' means Pick of the Year....yes, he will win.

As excited as I am about the dominating way in which we've started the season I am reserving judgement until I see us pull out a close game when every possession down stretch is vital. We've been able to coast to the finish line in every game this year and while I would hope that our experience (and Kwamain) will allow us to close games out I would like to see us do it first before talking Top 25. I think Villanova might provide the perfect case study.