OT- Cards are only 2 out on the loss side ...

Pujols didn't become a US citizen until 2007. If you know anybody who was working in the US without citizenship after 9/11, the U.S. govt. became real ballbreakers after that. Especially if you left the country and tried to come back. I don't claim to know how old AP5 is, but I know that it wasn't as easy to come in and out of the country as you might think.

Super. Each time one comes in and out of the US, they do not have to prove their age to immigration. Instead, all they must do is show proper papers/passport which, of course, includes one's name, address, date of birth, etc.

What if AP came to the US 14 years ago w/o papers or with marginal papers, "proved" to some bureaucrat that he was 18 (not 21) and then got a drivers license/green card/identification card stating he was 18 years old. AP would not be the first to land in the US w/o paperwork and/or with marginal paperwork. If AP swore to the bureaucrat that he is 18, showed little or marginal proof as to his, etc., why would the US launch a massive investigation then? They wouldn't.

Years later, AP becomes the world best baseball player. Why would the US launch an investigation in his age now? They wouldn't. So if AP becomes a US citizen in 2007 and/or goes through customs in 2007 or now, why would the government question him? They wouldn't. AP will never have problems with the US about his age. The Cardinals, on the other hand, might just not want to give as long of a contract as they would a different 32 year old.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super. Each time one comes in and out of the US, they do not have to prove their age to immigration. Instead, all they must do is show proper papers/passport which, of course, includes one's name, address, date of birth, etc.

What if AP came to the US 14 years ago w/o papers or with marginal papers, "proved" to some bureaucrat that he was 18 (not 21) and then got a drivers license/green card/identification card stating he was 18 years old. AP would not be the first to land in the US w/o paperwork and/or with marginal paperwork. If AP swore to the bureaucrat that he is 18, showed little or marginal proof as to his, etc., why would the US launch a massive investigation then? They wouldn't.

Years later, AP becomes the world best baseball player. Why would the US launch an investigation in his age now? They wouldn't. So if AP becomes a US citizen in 2007 and/or goes through customs in 2007 or now, why would the government question him? They wouldn't. AP will never have problems with the US about his age. The Cardinals, on the other hand, might just not want to give as long of a contract as they would a different 32 year old.

So you think everyone in his family, home town, etc. would keep quiet about it for over 10 years? That seems pretty far-fetched. I'm sure several teams have done inquiries and have a pretty good idea one way or the other. I'm not sure how old AP really is, but until I see some proof I'm not going to accept internet speculation as fact.

Also, I know a couple of people who've had to go through immigration. One guy in particular wasn't allowed to re-enter the US for about 3 months even though he was married to a US citizen and had just left for a couple of weeks to visit relatives. It's way more complicated than just flashing an ID at the airport.

So you think everyone in his family, home town, etc. would keep quiet about it for over 10 years? That seems pretty far-fetched. I'm sure several teams have done inquiries and have a pretty good idea one way or the other. I'm not sure how old AP really is, but until I see some proof I'm not going to accept internet speculation as fact.

Also, I know a couple of people who've had to go through immigration. One guy in particular wasn't allowed to re-enter the US for about 3 months even though he was married to a US citizen and had just left for a couple of weeks to visit relatives. It's way more complicated than just flashing an ID at the airport.

Yeah but I guarantee you that the immigration process is a lot quicker and easier for Albert Pujols than some guy you know. It probably shouldn't be that way, but you know it is.

I've been a lifelong Cardinals fan and I've never liked Pujols. I think he might be a year or 2 older than he says, but regardless I don't want the Cardinals to resign him unless he'll give a home town discount and I'm not sure I want him even then. I can't deny his talent, and he'll help the team win, but I'd rather invest in 3 or 4 younger players instead of Pujols at this point.

On the one hand, I agree with superslu's comments. On the other, after the Rasmus trade a friend of mine was playing golf with AP who was quite happy to be with Octavio Dotel again. AP said that they had played together in the "Little Leagues" in the Domenican. Well, if Dotel is 38, even if Albert were playing against older kids in the DR, he must be older than advertised.

Nobody is scared of the cardinals, they are a mediocre team in a mediocre division.

A heavy dose of Jackson and carp???? C'mon man (NFL countdown chris Carter voice).

Never said the Phillies are shaking at the idea of playing the Cards but the Phillies have lost 8 in a row while the Cards are 15-7 this month. You can't totally discount momentum. The '09 Cards showed that you can't sleepwalk through the end of the regular season and expect to flip the switch.

Yeah but I guarantee you that the immigration process is a lot quicker and easier for Albert Pujols than some guy you know. It probably shouldn't be that way, but you know it is.

I've been a lifelong Cardinals fan and I've never liked Pujols. I think he might be a year or 2 older than he says, but regardless I don't want the Cardinals to resign him unless he'll give a home town discount and I'm not sure I want him even then. I can't deny his talent, and he'll help the team win, but I'd rather invest in 3 or 4 younger players instead of Pujols at this point.

What do you like about Pujols? The MVP awards, gold gloves, etc?

On the one hand, I agree with superslu's comments. On the other, after the Rasmus trade a friend of mine was playing golf with AP who was quite happy to be with Octavio Dotel again. AP said that they had played together in the "Little Leagues" in the Domenican. Well, if Dotel is 38, even if Albert were playing against older kids in the DR, he must be older than advertised.

not to knock you in any way, but I'll believe it when it comes from AP, the team, a family member, a credible journalist etc. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if he is older. I just tend to tune out internet chatter.

What do you like about Pujols? The MVP awards, gold gloves, etc?

I like him as a player (may go down as one of the best ever) and he does nice work with charities...but he seems like a huge dick most of the time during interviews. Just because a guy is a great baseball player doesn't mean he has the best personality in the world and I think it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I thought McGwire was a huge ahole too...

I like him as a player (may go down as one of the best ever) and he does nice work with charities...but he seems like a huge dick most of the time during interviews. Just because a guy is a great baseball player doesn't mean he has the best personality in the world and I think it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I thought McGwire was a huge ahole too...

They can't all be Rex Hudler. ;)

Possibly one of the worst games I've seen in st louis

Absolutely terrible! A truly horrendous effort on both sides of the ball. I was worried that the Ravens would come in to town looking to exact some revenge for the surprise loss to the Titans the week before, and that is just what they did. It seemed like the Rams didn't know what hit them.

At least the Cards won again today and the games in Houston mean a LOT. Don't see Philly taking it easy on the Braves as they definitely want to right the ship before the playoffs start. Really looking forward to these next 3 days of baseball!

Absolutely terrible! A truly horrendous effort on both sides of the ball. I was worried that the Ravens would come in to town looking to exact some revenge for the surprise loss to the Titans the week before, and that is just what they did. It seemed like the Rams didn't know what hit them.

At least the Cards won again today and the games in Houston mean a LOT. Don't see Philly taking it easy on the Braves as they definitely want to right the ship before the playoffs start. Really looking forward to these next 3 days of baseball!

Yeah, Rams looked CLUELESS...pathetic display. Weren't even competitive.

I guess I was wrong about the Cardinals...I thought they were done after they went down by 3 games but the Braves keep finding ways to lose and the Cards are getting a bit of luck and some timely hitting. We better bring our offense down to Houston.

What an exciting time for baseball , both my teams( Rays and Cardinals) have the same record, and both are just one game out with 3 to play. I know I am biased, and no one here cares about the Rays, but in my opionion Joe Maddon has got to get serious consideration for Manager of the Year.

What an exciting time for baseball , both my teams( Rays and Cardinals) have the same record, and both are just one game out with 3 to play. I know I am biased, and no one here cares about the Rays, but in my opionion Joe Maddon has got to get serious consideration for Manager of the Year.

I would love to see the Rays over take the Sox this week. It could go down as the biggest collapse in baseball history.

I would love to see the Rays over take the Sox this week. It could go down as the biggest collapse in baseball history.

braves were 11 games up on the cardinals for the wild card at one time. were the rays even further behind than that?

The Rays were 9 out on Sept. 2 or 3, seen somewhere that it would be the largest comeback ever. Guess the Cardinals were 8 1/2 out in 1964 on the same date.

braves were 11 games up on the cardinals for the wild card at one time. were the rays even further behind than that?

I know it was 9 game September 4th but not sure the biggest number. Everyone had the Red Sox in the WS after their off season moves.

The Rays were 9 out on Sept. 2 or 3, seen somewhere that it would be the largest comeback ever. Guess the Cardinals were 8 1/2 out in 1964 on the same date.

I'd like to see the Rays overtake Boston too. Boston survived in 14 innings in Game 2 last night at Yankee Stadium. Boston ranks right up there with the Cubs, Giants, and new ingrates, Milwaukee and Cincinnati, on my list. Wherever Dusty Baker manages is on that list.

Cards have brought great excitement to Cardinal Nation. I like the way this team has gone about its business in September. The attitude of the team looks good, which is important. Wearing Hawaiian shirts on last night's team flight to Houston was a good morale builder and tension lightener.

Absent that horribly blown call which gifted Atlanta that win against Pittsburgh in the 19 inning game, Atlanta and the Cards would be tied right now.

Absent that horribly blown call which gifted Atlanta that win against Pittsburgh in the 19 inning game, Atlanta and the Cards would be tied right now.

I think the baseball gods got it back on that freak play that Chipper lost the ball in the lights with 2 outs in the 9th against the Marlins. If not for the football configuration of that dump, the Braves most likely win that one.