Weightlifting and Shooting

There have been several reports of players adding muscle and leaping ability. I thinking adding to your vertical is generally a good thing (other than reaching altitudes with less oxygen), though I wonder about the relation of weight lifting and shooting.

I am not an expert on this so I wanted to ask a question. In my experience added muscle mass means the need to "readjust" shooting touch. When I hear that someone has added muscle mass in the arms, chest, legs I think it will be a good thing for rebounding and defending but not shooting. I think with a lot of work the person can get their shooting touch back (which begs the deeper question of whether just improving your shooting is a better option for certain players). In yon olden days people would weight lift a lot and then stop and work on their shot (hopefully with enough time for the season to start but this was not always successful). So, is there state of the art training methods to increase muscle while minimizing impact on "touch"? Are players now equally committed to improving bulk and shooting? Or are they hoping to get shooting touch back into form later?

There have been several reports of players adding muscle and leaping ability. I thinking adding to your vertical is generally a good thing (other than reaching altitudes with less oxygen), though I wonder about the relation of weight lifting and shooting.

I am not an expert on this so I wanted to ask a question. In my experience added muscle mass means the need to "readjust" shooting touch. When I hear that someone has added muscle mass in the arms, chest, legs I think it will be a good thing for rebounding and defending but not shooting. I think with a lot of work the person can get their shooting touch back (which begs the deeper question of whether just improving your shooting is a better option for certain players). In yon olden days people would weight lift a lot and then stop and work on their shot (hopefully with enough time for the season to start but this was not always successful). So, is there state of the art training methods to increase muscle while minimizing impact on "touch"? Are players now equally committed to improving bulk and shooting? Or are they hoping to get shooting touch back into form later?

I will defer to the medical experts on this board, lifting weights the correct way should not negatively affect your jump shot. Probably not a good idea to expect accuracy 5 minutes after a workout, but the outside shot/3 pointer is really a shot made consistently by those with strong legs. Increasing range from 18' to 21' plus cannot be underestimated. Proper technique using full extensions, together with stretching exercises, will improve and not take away from your shot.

IMO, weight training to add bulk should primarily be added in the offseason with weight training throughout the season designed to maintain the existing muscle/bulk.

IMO, Spoon's team had real strength and could go toe to toe with Cincy. Heinrich, Tatum, Jeff Harris, Eric Jones... were tough. IMO, this toughness was lost during the Romar and Brad years. So far, it's a little hard to tell how weight training is now under RM b/c of all the youth/transfers. One of our few Seniors, KL was strong/tough for us but looked huge the year after he graduated/playing in Austrailia and probably reached the strength goals he had been trying to achieve here.

Shouldn't be a problem. Adding muscle is gradual and they're weight training is concurrent with these players still playing basketball and shooting a lot.

Years ago players did run into some issues with this, because functional strength training wasn't as mainstream and popular. Today's strength coaches incorporate more sport specific training and incorporate more functional strength training into their routine, so the players benefit both from added size and strength and more explosiveness and agility overall.

If you go and put up like 200 jumpers 5 minutes after your workout, you may start to develop bad habits because you'll be tired, but coaches wouldn't let that happen. Like others have said, the strength gain is gradual and they should be working on their shooting every day so it shouldn't really be a problem at all.

Michael Jordan was always worried about weight training affecting that hair-trigger jump shot of his, but after the first beatdown at the hands of the Pistons, MJ hit the weights hard so that his body could absorb the physical wear and tear that was often afflicted by Rodman, Laimbeer and Co. It actually raised the level of his game to new heights.

If you spent any time in the hallowed halls of the old West Pine Gym, you would have been physically disgusted by the old weight room SLU had and was shared by pretty much every single varsity sport. It was awful and no 7 footer could comfortably work out in there. In fact, I would see Voyoukas in the Simon Rec lifting more than in West Pine due to the higher ceilings -- and this was before Simon Rec underwent a facelift.

Our facilities received a major upgrade with Chaifetz and I hope that our guys really hit the weights this year. We need size.

If you spent any time in the hallowed halls of the old West Pine Gym, you would have been physically disgusted by the old weight room SLU had and was shared by pretty much every single varsity sport. It was awful and no 7 footer could comfortably work out in there. In fact, I would see Voyoukas in the Simon Rec lifting more than in West Pine due to the higher ceilings -- and this was before Simon Rec underwent a facelift.

Our facilities received a major upgrade with Chaifetz and I hope that our guys really hit the weights this year. We need size.

True story. In fact, I can't imagine that weight room with an entire basketball team inside it, even some of our more dimunitively sized teams. The facilities at the 'fetz are state of the art and the basketball team has its own dedicated strength and conditioning coach. No excuses not to have a strong team.

So .... wait ..... I'm confused ... does weight training mean anything to our A10 title .... 3 or 4 seed ..... placement in the Midwest Regional or does that send us pass "GO!" and collecting another $200.00?

So .... wait ..... I'm confused ... does weight training mean anything to our A10 title .... 3 or 4 seed ..... placement in the Midwest Regional or does that send us pass "GO!" and collecting another $200.00?

I think there's a real dilemma in Billiken Land. Many of us tend to be optimistic by nature in all parts of our lives. This of course makes it difficult when it comes to anything Billiken Basketball. In order to accomplish this task knowing the history of the program is to have an extremely short memory or just snag onto anything remotely positive - like improved listed heights, increased vertical, three more reps on the bench press, RM now able to take an extra lap in the pool, fresh flowers planted around Chaifetz, etc. It makes life as a Billiken fan more tolerable.

Of course, Taj gives us reality checks from time to time all the time, and forces us to extend our memories and remind us this is "Billiken Basketball". So, the only options as Billiken fans are to focus on the negative and then go home and kick the dog even know it's not his fault OR jump on the Taj bandwagon and do what a lot of people do which is to hope for nothing and if we win anything more than 14-15 games then enjoy the euphoric state immensely.

Players in the 50s thought weightlifting would hurt their shooting ability. That was put to rest by Bob Pettit who became the best player in the league because he was on a weight training regimen.

With the amount of shots these guys take daily they should notice themselves any small changes in their shooting technique due to weight training stress. Any of these problems are easily correctable nowadays.

I mean, yes, if these guys went out and just curled huge weights and benched and then came back and shot it could mess with their flexibility and touch and stuff. But with strength training these days, the players build lean muscles that make them all the more effective as ballplayers. I don't think it's a concern at all.

Winning the conference this year won't mean a 3 or 4 seed. The conference is down and the Bills have a very advantageous conference schedule.

It is time to stop having low expectations for this program. The roster has the talent, the facilities are top notch, and the coaching staff is highly paid. We should all expect results this year.

I mean, yes, if these guys went out and just curled huge weights and benched and then came back and shot it could mess with their flexibility and touch and stuff. But with strength training these days, the players build lean muscles that make them all the more effective as ballplayers. I don't think it's a concern at all.

Agree. We all know the type. Those weightlifters who are actually caricatures. They are so built and developed in the arms and chest with short stocky muscles that they have zero flexibility, their arms stick out sideways, they cannot touch their arms to their sides and they waddle when they walk. All that weightlifting actually makes them even worse (not better) as athletes. Aside from weightlifting, they have no sport in which they can use this new found strength. A guy in my highschool did this very thing (weightlifting) all Football season long and throughout the winter only to watch his "even par" golf game turn into a "bogey per hole" game with huge but erratic tee shots.

Proper strength and conditioning, however, is not a concern. The lack of proper strength and condition, though, is a real concern to me.

Agree. We all know the type. Those weightlifters who are actually caricatures. They are so built and developed in the arms and chest with short stocky muscles that they have zero flexibility, their arms stick out sideways, they cannot touch their arms to their sides and they waddle when they walk. All that weightlifting actually makes them even worse (not better) as athletes. Aside from weightlifting, they have no sport in which they can use this new found strength. A guy in my highschool did this very thing (weightlifting) all Football season long and throughout the winter only to watch his "even par" golf game turn into a "bogey per hole" game with huge but erratic tee shots.

Proper strength and conditioning, however, is not a concern. The lack of proper strength and condition, though, is a real concern to me.

If anyone has seen what Kyle Cassity looked like as a junior under our weight program, I don't think we need to worry about the guys getting too big that's all I'll say.

If anyone has seen what Kyle Cassity looked like as a junior under our weight program, I don't think we need to worry about the guys getting too big that's all I'll say.

Hahahaha. To be fair some guys just struggle to put on extra mass.

Thought you might enjoy this fb conversation that just took place. I don't think they would mind us sharing the fact that they are getting after it? Go Bills!

Cody Gordon Ellis

Legs bout to explode!!

Mike McCall Jr.

broooo like foreal

Dwayne Evans

what run ya do?

Mike McCall Jr.

same

Dwayne Evans

anybody puke?

Mike McCall Jr.

naw