Spring signing period

When does this signing period end? What do we have open? One scholarship? Hopefully we have a good chance to get an immediate contributor 5-man from somewhere-Euro/Austr/NZ or wherever. What is discouraging to me at this point is that we seem to be offering tweeners and guards. Does anyone have any real knowledge that we have a shot at a big?

I know we have a lot of talent on the squad which probably makes it hard to recruit some of the more talented players, but we could offer a true 5 some real PT. That would allow us to redshirt Manning who it seems no one is expecting to much from next yr.

When does this signing period end? What do we have open? One scholarship? Hopefully we have a good chance to get an immediate contributor 5-man from somewhere-Euro/Austr/NZ or wherever. What is discouraging to me at this point is that we seem to be offering tweeners and guards. Does anyone have any real knowledge that we have a shot at a big?

I know we have a lot of talent on the squad which probably makes it hard to recruit some of the more talented players, but we could offer a true 5 some real PT. That would allow us to redshirt Manning who it seems no one is expecting to much from next yr.

bump.

Is the Spring signing period over? Winters, Bruening, etc. chose ____???

bump.

The Spring signing period is over. Breunig is back from his visit from Washington and is visiting one other school(hopefully SLU) this week before he makes his decision. There has been no info on Winters at all.

The Spring signing period is over. Breunig is back from his visit from Washington and is visiting one other school(hopefully SLU) this week before he makes his decision. There has been no info on Winters at all.

Did I see that Winters chose Baylor - I could be wrong.

bump.

Currently we are in another dead period which lasts until May 27th. The deadline for signing a LOI was the 18th. However, that doesn't mean that there is no chance to fill any of the scholarships for next season. Breunig did not sign a LOI with UW and who knows what is going on with Winters. As we are in the dead period right now, I don't think you will hear anything for another week, at least.

I'm pretty the people on the Baylor board were saying a while back that Winters fabricated that offer from them, but who knows. Rivals seems to think Baylor is the likely choice.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Quevyn-Winters-86726

There are definitely questions about whether Baylor ever offered Winters or if he jumped the gun stating that he received an offer from them. One thought is that he got the word out there that he verbally committed to Baylor and then backed out in order to raise his stock. I think it is telling that per Rivals, outside of the Baylor offer, his other offers are by Indiana State, Green Bay and SLU. If he truly still had the offer by Baylor I would think that LOI would have been signed by the 18th based on the other offers he has.

The end of the signing period is virtually meaningless, as schools can still offer recruits a grant-in-aid agreement. Recall that Anthony Drejaj and Danny Brown both committed so late as to need to do that. Moreover, in the case of the player getting a release from his LOI from Maryland, he wasn't going to be able to sign another one, anyway, as recruits can sign only one (without spending two seasons at a junior college). He was going to have to have signed a GIA, anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

The dead period goes through to the 27th, and has nothing to do with The Dead. During this period school are permitted one phone call to a recruit, and cannot have them visit during the dead period. Following the dead period is the quiet period, when a recruit can visit a school....so hopefully after the 27th he could come...

FYI a Maryland Blog is saying Breunig is officially crossed off their list.

Currently we are in another dead period which lasts until May 27th. The deadline for signing a LOI was the 18th. However, that doesn't mean that there is no chance to fill any of the scholarships for next season. Breunig did not sign a LOI with UW and who knows what is going on with Winters. As we are in the dead period right now, I don't think you will hear anything for another week, at least.

So now it simply comes down to where these kids enroll this Fall, right? While most won't want to wait that long, will probably announce sooner than later and will probably follow through with what they say, just so I understand, once they announce, it will be non-binding such that other schools can and will probably continue to recruit them away. If so, both could verbally say the choose SLU, complete all necessary paperwork but then change their minds August 15th or so and enroll elsewhere, right?

So now it simply comes down to where these kids enroll this Fall, right? While most won't want to wait that long, will probably announce sooner than later and will probably follow through with what they say, just so I understand, once they announce, it will be non-binding such that other schools can and will probably continue to recruit them away. If so, both could verbally say the choose SLU, complete all necessary paperwork but then change their minds August 15th or so and enroll elsewhere, right?

actually He could start summer school, which I think many programs advise their student athletes to do.

Guest BillikenReport

This post is funny. You suggest that some mystery prospect from Europe/Australia/New Zealand could come in and immediately get playing time when SLU already has a promising 6-11 kid from New Zealand returning and has signed a 6-11 kid for next season who, if he hadn't signed with the Billikens in the fall would likely have been recruited this spring by programs in bigger conferences.

No one knows what to expect from Manning, but if he can rebound and defend he'll be able to contribute right away next season.

The way SLU's recruiting has gone this season, I would think that anybody the Billikens add to the roster would likely be roster filler and may not last more than one year at SLU.

This post is funny. You suggest that some mystery prospect from Europe/Australia/New Zealand could come in and immediately get playing time when SLU already has a promising 6-11 kid from New Zealand returning and has signed a 6-11 kid for next season who, if he hadn't signed with the Billikens in the fall would likely have been recruited this spring by programs in bigger conferences.

No one knows what to expect from Manning, but if he can rebound and defend he'll be able to contribute right away next season.

The way SLU's recruiting has gone this season, I would think that anybody the Billikens add to the roster would likely be roster filler and may not last more than one year at SLU.

Nate,

Does Breunig fit into the roster filler slot? I was under the impression that he can rebound and defend. Or are you indicating we have no shot at him?

Thanks and as always, I enjoy your input.[/size][/size]

Guest BillikenReport

Nate,

Does Breunig fit into the roster filler slot? I was under the impression that he can rebound and defend. Or are you indicating we have no shot at him?

Thanks and as always, I enjoy your input.[/size][/size]

No, Breunig looks like a legitimate prospect who can potentially contribute right away.

I have no idea what chances SLU has with him. I think part of it would depend on who at SLU was recruiting him — if Majerus, Jensen or Harriman developed a decent relationship with the kid, then that would help, but if it was Moser then that would work against the Billikens.

No, Breunig looks like a legitimate prospect who can potentially contribute right away.

I have no idea what chances SLU has with him. I think part of it would depend on who at SLU was recruiting him — if Majerus, Jensen or Harriman developed a decent relationship with the kid, then that would help, but if it was Moser then that would work against the Billikens.

Wasn't Breunig the player Jensen went to see in Germany last year?

Nate glad to make you laugh. Seemed to me like I remembered over the course of the last few months, some speculation on our recruiting a "big" from some foreign country.

By the way, your post at 1:35, below, is full of valuable info. As a "recruiting expert" just what are you sure of?

Guest BillikenReport

Nate glad to make you laugh. Seemed to me like I remembered over the course of the last few months, some speculation on our recruiting a "big" from some foreign country.

By the way, your post at 1:35, below, is full of valuable info. As a "recruiting expert" just what are you sure of?

It's nothing against you, Bauman. It is funny to me because so many people seem to assume kids that they have never seen or heard anything about are better than the kids SLU already has in the program or has signed. Like it seems that Manning isn't a very good scorer because he didn't score much at the high school level. But maybe that's the only weakness in his game and he's a really good rebounder and defender. Does that make sense?

Since signing Salecich and Ellis and then Loe, Majerus has mentioned on the radio a couple times about recruiting internationally, but nothing has come out of that since. I'd much rather see SLU build the program with local or Midwest kids, but I understand that sometimes they have a better opportunity with foreigners who won't hold the A-10 against the Billikens in recruiting.

I don't claim to be a "recruiting expert." I just cover recruiting. I can tell you plenty about the local kids I cover.

It's nothing against you, Bauman. It is funny to me because so many people seem to assume kids that they have never seen or heard anything about are better than the kids SLU already has in the program or has signed. Like it seems that Manning isn't a very good scorer because he didn't score much at the high school level. But maybe that's the only weakness in his game and he's a really good rebounder and defender. Does that make sense?

Since signing Salecich and Ellis and then Loe, Majerus has mentioned on the radio a couple times about recruiting internationally, but nothing has come out of that since. I'd much rather see SLU build the program with local or Midwest kids, but I understand that sometimes they have a better opportunity with foreigners who won't hold the A-10 against the Billikens in recruiting.

I don't claim to be a "recruiting expert." I just cover recruiting. I can tell you plenty about the local kids I cover.

I would rather work my way to the top of th a-10

Than be in the valley or even mired at the bottom of the Big East like De Paul