Thanks for the Memories, Willie

Post your memories of Willie

He was the most exciting player we've had in a while at SLU and while he's moving on to bigger and better things, I think we should post, as a tribute, our memories of him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Post your memories of Willie

He was the most exciting player we've had in a while at SLU and while he's moving on to bigger and better things, I think we should post, as a tribute, our memories of him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

[/quote)

Willie, we hardly knew ye!:(

Definitely going to miss the shot blocks and the good celebrations afterwards.

Just saying, what if he withdraws from the draft and comes back to SLU?

that only works for schools that pass their "student"-assletes no matter what. willie was probably just overwhelmed by schoolwork and that's that. now i WOULDN'T be surprised if the draft wasn't looking good and he somehow transferred to some shithead school that would hide his academics behind a wall of cash for a little SHOWTIME.

How would that work?

If he withdraws from the NBA draft in time, then he maintains his college eligibility but that does not mean he can enroll and be re-accpeted to SLU. At best, WR would return to the same position he started in the Fall 2010 semester and again with the January 2011 semester -- academic probation with no opportunity to train, practice and play with the team. As far as other schools are concerned, WR's transcripts would need to be requested from SLU and I doubt they would be that impressive to the requesting college. Further, believe WR would still be subject to completing his 4 years of college ball within the 5 year window which began almost 3 years ago when he enrolled as a Freshman at SLU. Also, to be eligible elsewhere, believe the NCAA would need to review and certify that he is academically within the minimum needed to be considered on track to graduate. My best guess is that SLU probably bent more than it would have for any other student even prior to the Situation. Therefore, even a school like Kansas State seemed to backoff while WR then slinked back to SLU w/o the presence of his father who, by all accounts, should probably be nominated for Father of the Year.

At this point, I would expect (and hope) that SLU not even consider any application of WR in the unlikely event such an application were to reappear. No doubt WR could have helped our basketball team this year and next year, but enough is enough. IMO, WR has let down his teammates, his coaches, his school, etc. and including himeself. Goodbye WR and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

he can't play if he doesn't make the grades this semester right? can't make the grades if he isn't in school.

it was my understanding willie not only had to pass this spring '11 semester, he had credits from previous semesters he was down as well. so if he truly sits out of classes the next 6 weeks or so, he pretty much writes off this semester. so then he would be down a semester and a half.

to be eligible in the fall of '11, he would need a ricky clemens/chris massey academic summer. i doubt seriously Saint Louis University is going to be a part of such a happening.

i doubt seriously Saint Louis University is going to be a part of such a happening.

Interesting how Fr. Reinert took a flyer on a young whippersnapper from Chicago named Dick Chaifetz and we're saying no one can help Willie? Great to carry on the legacy...

Interesting how Fr. Reinert took a flyer on a young whippersnapper from Chicago named Dick Chaifetz and we're saying no one can help Willie? Great to carry on the legacy...

Ummm, the 2 situations are no where near comparable.

i would be willing to bet dr chaifetz's transcripts after three years at slu look a lot better than willie's at this point making that "flyer" a little easier to take.

i would be willing to bet dr chaifetz's transcripts after three years at slu look a lot better than willie's at this point making that "flyer" a little easier to take.

Maybe so, but the University makes it a point to not release that information to the general public. You can say "oh Willie had tutors, etc." But who was his MENTOR? Who was there helping him out? Why do such talented and gifted athletes fall through the crack? Father Dinosaur, S.J. sitting at the end of the bench can't even feed himself. We need young priests to help these kids out. Hell, we're a Jesuit university. We have sporting fanatic priests a swallow's flight away at Jesuit Hall. Can't they help our student-athletes?

I know he would help us, but to be honest, I don't even really want Willie to play for us anymore.

Maybe so, but the University makes it a point to not release that information to the general public. You can say "oh Willie had tutors, etc." But who was his MENTOR? Who was there helping him out? Why do such talented and gifted athletes fall through the crack? Father Dinosaur, S.J. sitting at the end of the bench can't even feed himself. We need young priests to help these kids out. Hell, we're a Jesuit university. We have sporting fanatic priests a swallow's flight away at Jesuit Hall. Can't they help our student-athletes?

An African or European Swallow?

If people think no one was helping Willie they are delusional. He got more help than most people.

BTW, Chafeitz had a 4.0, but had no way to pay for his tuition. The school paid the rest of his way. If I recall correctly, Willie was already on a full-ride.