The Fab Five

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was excellent. Remember those 2 years very well.

I watched but still came away agreeing with Bill Walton, they never won it all. Kind of interesting though the comments of the Jr's and Sr's in the first year. They were somewhat discouraged by the loss of playing time to Freshman.

I watched but still came away agreeing with Bill Walton, they never won it all. Kind of interesting though the comments of the Jr's and Sr's in the first year. They were somewhat discouraged by the loss of playing time to Freshman.

I know Walton won it all when he was UCLA but I was kind taken back a little by his statement. UCLA kind of owned the NCAA championship way prior and even after Walton. A very different era. A little like SLU owned soccer back then.

If you remember back when he was at UCLA, he was kind controversial himself. The accusations of being a pot smoking, anti war, flower child. When he went into the NBA he demanded he would only play for a West Coast team. Subsequently he was drafted and initially played for Portland.

He would have fit in real well on that Michigan team.

What a difference twenty years makes...a group of freshman all playing together (sounds kind of familiar for us SLU fans) today go out and crap their pants on the floor. Michigan's freshman took them to the national championship game. I'd rather have kids with higher basketball IQs than SAT scores. Wouldn't you, Steve Fischer?

What a difference twenty years makes...a group of freshman all playing together (sounds kind of familiar for us SLU fans) today go out and crap their pants on the floor. Michigan's freshman took them to the national championship game. I'd rather have kids with higher basketball IQs than SAT scores. Wouldn't you, Steve Fischer?

Huh? Are you comparing our freshman class to the Fab 5?

Huh? Are you comparing our freshman class to the Fab 5?

No, just saying it seems like those kids came to Michigan ready to play. They had the maturity, the basketball IQ and the talent to lead their team. I'm not sure even a top-tier program could expect similar results from a freshman class. Those days are long gone it seems. It's a shame coaches have to teach mental toughness.

No, just saying it seems like those kids came to Michigan ready to play. They had the maturity, the basketball IQ and the talent to lead their team. I'm not sure even a top-tier program could expect similar results from a freshman class. Those days are long gone it seems. It's a shame coaches have to teach mental toughness.

Disagree, see Kentucky last season. 3 freshman starters and they were better than Michigan's Fab Five team (with the exception of the final tournament run). Freshmen generally have bigger impacts today than 20 years ago.

Disagree, see Kentucky last season. 3 freshman starters and they were better than Michigan's Fab Five team (with the exception of the final tournament run). Freshmen generally have bigger impacts today than 20 years ago.

I just watched Seth Davis analyze the NCAA on cnnsi.com. One of his rules is just about always take the older more experienced team over young talent. Then he cited teams like CT, KY, and a few others that start a really young lineup, ie Sophs and Frosh. Now granted they're BCS'ers and the kids are probably all the top 50 variety, but they were able to win a lot of games against BCS opponents. I know our frosh aren't in that stratosphere, but it does make you wonder why we couldn't have done a little bit better in the A-10. Of course the A-10 does tend to have teams that are Jr and Sr dominated.

Agree to disagree. Wall is a stud, yes. Bledsoe and Cousins are both powder kegs.

To say that Kentucky's team last year was better than the Fab Five is crazy IMO.

Btw, have you guys seen Grant Hill's response to the documentary? Powerful stuff.

Here ya go: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/grant-hill-responds-strongly-to-the-fab-five/

Crazy to think that Hill and Juwan Howard are still in the Association.

To say that Kentucky's team last year was better than the Fab Five is crazy IMO.

Btw, have you guys seen Grant Hill's response to the documentary? Powerful stuff.

Here ya go: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/03/grant-hill-responds-strongly-to-the-fab-five/

The Fab Five was a 6 seed in their first NCAA tournament. Granted they also had Patrick Patterson, last year's generally freshmen-led UK team was a #1 seed. So, with the exception of Michigan's longer run in the NCAA tourney, I think one could definitely argue that UK was better.

Either way, I'm only using UK as an example to rebut Metz's point that freshmen-led teams don't have the same impact today that they had back then. In fact, I would argue that they have more of an impact today. I could also point to Syracuse w/ Melo and McNamara or Ohio State w/ Oden and Conley.

The Fab Five is highly celebrated because they were groundbreaking in terms of being the first group of freshmen to make an immediate impact, their attitude, their fashion, and their cultural symbolism. Not because they were one of the truly great teams in college basketball.

Either way, I'm only using UK as an example to rebut Metz's point that freshmen-led teams don't have the same impact today that they had back then. In fact, I would argue that they have more of an impact today. I could also point to Syracuse w/ Melo and McNamara or Ohio State w/ Oden and Conley.

To supplement your point, given the early exodus of players to the league, freshmen are forced to have a greater impact.

Whitlock is a ******. He saw the ratings and buzz that the fab five documentary created an used it to get people to pay attention to him.

He can praise G-town all he wants for only recruiting black kids but that doesnt mean the fab five didnt change the culture of college basketball forever. (George Town actually has a white dude play alot this year, I cant remember the last time I saw that)

Whitlock sure talks up John Tompson and G-Town but what about Don Haskins starting all black guys 25 years before Thompson?

Haskins did it in an era when racial tension was much worse and starting all black players could of cost him his job or even bodily harm in an area that is to this day filled with racists.

Thompson did it in a time when black players were looked at as more athletic and better players and gave a coach a better chance to win.