Players with upside need to play

SLUDrew

I am sure that Brian Conklin works very hard in practice. I am sure he dives for every loose ball and stays around after practice working on his footwork in the post, BUT Brian Conklin is not the future of this team or program. For that matter nor is Paul Eckerle, Christian Salecich, or Kyle Cassity. These guys, in my opinion are what they are.

In a season that is lost we need to give as many minutes as possible to the guys who have a chance to elevate this program as they develop. I would put Mccall, Jett, Evans, Loe, Ellis and, as frustrating as he can be at times, Remekun in this category. These guys need to play. How else will they learn?

There is no excuse for Rob Loe to get as few minutes as he is getting unless there is an injury we are not aware of. I know he plays soft down Loe, can seem rushed when he gets the ball, etc but he will only improve by playing.

Remekun, Evans and Loe see to be on an EXTREMELY short leash. It appears to me they are playing like they are afraid to make a mistake. This seems especially true since Moser has taken over.

I have coached the game before. I know you have to set a precedent in practice that those who show dedication and work hard get rewarded in games. You can't just hand out minutes to those who are undeserving. My point is that if all things are equal, I would tend to start giving more and more minutes to the young guys and let them gel as a group.

I am sure that Brian Conklin works very hard in practice. I am sure he dives for every loose ball and stays around after practice working on his footwork in the post, BUT Brian Conklin is not the future of this team or program. For that matter nor is Paul Eckerle, Christian Salecich, or Kyle Cassity. These guys, in my opinion are what they are.

In a season that is lost we need to give as many minutes as possible to the guys who have a chance to elevate this program as they develop. I would put Mccall, Jett, Evans, Loe, Ellis and, as frustrating as he can be at times, Remekun in this category. These guys need to play. How else will they learn?

There is no excuse for Rob Loe to get as few minutes as he is getting unless there is an injury we are not aware of. I know he plays soft down Loe, can seem rushed when he gets the ball, etc but he will only improve by playing.

Remekun, Evans and Loe see to be on an EXTREMELY short leash. It appears to me they are playing like they are afraid to make a mistake. This seems especially true since Moser has taken over.

I have coached the game before. I know you have to set a precedent in practice that those who show dedication and work hard get rewarded in games. You can't just hand out minutes to those who are undeserving. My point is that if all things are equal, I would tend to start giving more and more minutes to the young guys and let them gel as a group.

Excellent post, Drew. This seems like the classic Charlie Weis Syndrome. Get great, proven players out of high school and they $hit their pants at the college level. You are spot on in your analysis that these kids are playing like they are too afraid to make mistakes...this might go back to the way Majerus handles these kids on the practice court in terms of calling them out in front of their peers. I agree, you don't treat a 18-22 year old kid like a pro player, but when physical errors on the court are attributed to something on a mental level, you've lost a program.

Agreed. I especially don't get the lack of minutes for Loe past 2 games considering that he looked more comfortable down in the post against Dayton (9 pts and 7 boards, along with at least one block). At this point, who cares about 'matchup' issues defensively? In a season like this, it is best to get Loe more comfortable against different types of teams.

I agree but I would still like to have Cassity, Eckerle, or Conklin out there as an on the job teacher.

They seem to know what it takes to stay out of the Majerus dog house. Id like to see one or two of those guys out there with the younger guys to just teach as they go.

Agreed. I especially don't get the lack of minutes for Loe past 2 games considering that he looked more comfortable down in the post against Dayton (9 pts and 7 boards, along with at least one block). At this point, who cares about 'matchup' issues defensively? In a season like this, it is best to get Loe more comfortable against different types of teams.

I'm wondering how this is Majerus' fault? Porter has been running the team for the past 2 weeks. Majerus says he hasn't been outside except for twice since Jan 1. The lack of minutes for Loe or the "scared" players at least for the past 2 weeks can be attributed to Porter, right?

I don't know what you see in CR. Conklin is a better player than him now and probably a better player now than CR will ever be. Conklin's freshman numbers were far better than Cory's. Conklin's Soph. numbers are far better than Cory's so far. Conklin has shown the ability to actually have a big game. Conklin has always done the little things that Cory doesn't. Cory looks like an athlete, but has never really looked like much of a basketball player.

I'm wondering how this is Majerus' fault? Porter has been running the team for the past 2 weeks. Majerus says he hasn't been outside except for twice since Jan 1. The lack of minutes for Loe or the "scared" players at least for the past 2 weeks can be attributed to Porter, right?

Absolutely. It was inconceivable to me that with a short bench that Loe didn't get into the game until 10 minutes into the 2nd half, which was basically the moment when the game had gotten out of hand. It almost seems to me that Porter is trying to coach how he 'thinks' Majerus would coach in a game. Basically, he is overthinking out there. He is also substituting players in and out of games at an insane pace, thus making it hard to get a real flow going with the offense.

3 of the 4 freshman and Ellis all average more minutes than Conk for the season and also had more minutes last night. All of them average more than Eck or Salecich. Not sure why you are complaining.

I personally think Jett should play less. He is a turnover machine right now that probably is hurting the development of all other players on the offensive end.

I would like to see us develop some consistent scorers the rest of the way - mainly CE, RL and MM. Cody needs to play more like he did the first half last night. I would like to see them stick with Loe more and let him work through the mistakes. And the guy I hope they turn to the rest of the way when we are searching for scoring is McCall. He can shoot the 3 and he can create his own shot. I hope these guys can gain confidence through the added playing time and by the next year rolls around with the additions of KM, WR and JB, we will have a lot of reliable scoring options.

3 of the 4 freshman and Ellis all average more minutes than Conk for the season and also had more minutes last night. All of them average more than Eck or Salecich. Not sure why you are complaining.

I personally think Jett should play less. He is a turnover machine right now that probably is hurting the development of all other players on the offensive end.

[/quote

At the beginning of the season, Conklin was not starting. Ever since Cancun he has been starting, and he would have more minutes than all the freshman with the possible exception of McCall if he wasn't ALWAYS in foul trouble.

Paul Eckerle got a start and plays plenty of minutes when healthy.

Salecich got 20 minutes last night.

Moser CLEARLY prefers the more experienced players and seems extremely impatient with Evans, Loe and Remekun.

Jett is a perfect example of the point I am trying to get across. I realize that Jett is turnover prone. However, if you listen to the announcers of the teams we are playing, or Kellogg when we played Duke, they are extremely complimentary of Jett's skill set and what kind of player he can become.

Loe is a 6'11 kid who was selected to play on an All-World team. Last night he played seven minutes. Don't you think he may have more to offer to a team that is so woeful offensively than he has had the opportunity to show?

Something has "spooked" Remekun, Evans, Ellis, and Loe and I think it is that they are feeling extremely scrutinized every time they touch the ball.

My point in all this is that we are currently a miserable team to watch. We have seen the extent of what some of the older guys can do and for the most part, it isn't pretty. Why don't we loosen the reins a little and see what these younger guys can do, instead of yank a kid because he showed improper footwork on a box-out?

I don't know how many games you have watched or if you are basing your opinion of Jett by what you see on paper but from what I have heard about Jett is that he is too unselfish of a player. His goal is to make teammates better but if they are unwilling or unable to catch a pass and finish how is that his fault. It gets me how people seem to make statements based on what they think instead of what they know. The fact is that his turnovers are being caused by his teammates. If he was shooting 25 shots a game then we would be hearing how selfish he is and how he's trying to win a game on his own. You can't have it both ways. Jett would be a great asset to this team if given the opportunity to use the skills he possesses to help make the team better. Like I said before...this offense is working for anybody!

[

Something has "spooked" Remekun, Evans, Ellis, and Loe and I think it is that they are feeling extremely scrutinized every time they touch the ball.

Maybe it's not the coaching. Maybe it's lack success - both individually and collectively -- as our losing streak has now hit 5 games.

I don't know what you see in CR. Conklin is a better player than him now and probably a better player now than CR will ever be. Conklin's freshman numbers were far better than Cory's. Conklin's Soph. numbers are far better than Cory's so far. Conklin has shown the ability to actually have a big game. Conklin has always done the little things that Cory doesn't. Cory looks like an athlete, but has never really looked like much of a basketball player.

Give CR 22-25 minutes rather than the 10 or so he is averaging, and I guarantee he comes out of that shell after a few games and you see a completely different player. He is lost for some reason. Looks like confidence level is 0.

I don't know how many games you have watched or if you are basing your opinion of Jett by what you see on paper but from what I have heard about Jett is that he is too unselfish of a player. His goal is to make teammates better but if they are unwilling or unable to catch a pass and finish how is that his fault. It gets me how people seem to make statements based on what they think instead of what they know. The fact is that his turnovers are being caused by his teammates. If he was shooting 25 shots a game then we would be hearing how selfish he is and how he's trying to win a game on his own. You can't have it both ways. Jett would be a great asset to this team if given the opportunity to use the skills he possesses to help make the team better. Like I said before...this offense is working for anybody!

He is a very unselfish player. He does a real good job of passing it to the other team.

The turnovers I have seen him make are his fault, not his fellow players. From AustinP to Duke to the current games, he has a tendency to make poor decisions with the ball in his hands. From trying to pass the ball while in the air, trying to throw the ball from one wing to the other, forcing the ball in traffic, and the announcers, including the Clark Kellog during the Duke game, do criticize these decisions, although they tend to soften the blow, calling them freshman mistakes.

I like the athleticism, tools, mindset, and unselfishness, but he is raw and he is having a hard time with the speed of the D1 defenses. In a perfect world, he would be learning behind KM, KC, and MM. McCall has been much better on the offensive end, actually very good for a freshman, and that is why he is second on the team in minutes.

As for Loe's minutes droping, that is easy. It is really hard to play a big man who struggles on the defensive end and is shooting 35% from the field. Like JJ, he needs a little more seasoning to justify more minutes. The weightroom would help Loe out more than playing time right now.

From what I have seen this year, it is going to be KC, BC, MM, Ellis, and Evans (in that order) playing next to the 3 redshirts in 2011-2012, so I would not be unhappy if those guys play the most.

He is a very unselfish player. He does a real good job of passing it to the other team.

The turnovers I have seen him make are his fault, not his fellow players. From AustinP to Duke to the current games, he has a tendency to make poor decisions with the ball in his hands. From trying to pass the ball while in the air, trying to throw the ball from one wing to the other, forcing the ball in traffic, and the announcers, including the Clark Kellog during the Duke game, do criticize these decisions, although they tend to soften the blow, calling them freshman mistakes.

I like the athleticism, tools, mindset, and unselfishness, but he is raw and he is having a hard time with the speed of the D1 defenses. In a perfect world, he would be learning behind KM, KC, and MM. McCall has been much better on the offensive end, actually very good for a freshman, and that is why he is second on the team in minutes.

As for Loe's minutes droping, that is easy. It is really hard to play a big man who struggles on the defensive end and is shooting 35% from the field. Like JJ, he needs a little more seasoning to justify more minutes. The weightroom would help Loe out more than playing time right now.

From what I have seen this year, it is going to be KC, BC, MM, Ellis, and Evans (in that order) playing next to the 3 redshirts in 2011-2012, so I would not be unhappy if those guys play the most.

I understand what you are saying, and I would be inclined to agree if he had a special player in front of him, but he does not. I think Loe possesses the skill set of a star in this league. He just needs to get in there and get beaten up a little and do some beating up himself. He cannot "learn" that from the end of the bench or practice. Yes it will be frustrating and hard to watch at times, but I would MUCH prefer seeing a player of his caliber learn on the job than watch Conklin run someone over on his way to missing another bunny. Either way, the Bills are going to lose more than they win from hear on out. Why not lose while building for the future?

Firing a pass at your teammate when they are 4 feet from you is hardly considered the other players inability to catch the pass. I also agree with the comments made about his poor decision making. I'd like to see JJ take some responsibility for his turnovers and continuously get better at making up for them. Players definitely need to shake off mistakes, but sometimes it seems as if he's completely forgotten the 4 turnovers he just committed by adding more.

Also, I'm sure I'll get tar and feathered for this, but, RL is overrated. Sure he had that 19 pt game early in the season, otherwise, his shooting has been very inconsistent, he can't put the ball on the floor off the drive or in the post, he's a 6'11" none post player, he's slow, he's awkward, he can't guard his own shadow, he jumps just enough to get a credit card underneath him, but sure he's gotten better at rebounding. Did I mention he is bound to get a moving screen every game. He probably won't get too much stronger. Sure he can pull the big man out, but there isn't a single player on the DI, DII or DIII player that cannot guard him. He's a best a semi-competitive school's DIII player and DIII ball isn't bad.

Firing a pass at your teammate when they are 4 feet from you is hardly considered the other players inability to catch the pass. I also agree with the comments made about his poor decision making. I'd like to see JJ take some responsibility for his turnovers and continuously get better at making up for them. Players definitely need to shake off mistakes, but sometimes it seems as if he's completely forgotten the 4 turnovers he just committed by adding more.

Also, I'm sure I'll get tar and feathered for this, but, RL is overrated. Sure he had that 19 pt game early in the season, otherwise, his shooting has been very inconsistent, he can't put the ball on the floor off the drive or in the post, he's a 6'11" none post player, he's slow, he's awkward, he can't guard his own shadow, he jumps just enough to get a credit card underneath him, but sure he's gotten better at rebounding. Did I mention he is bound to get a moving screen every game. He probably won't get too much stronger. Sure he can pull the big man out, but there isn't a single player on the DI, DII or DIII player that cannot guard him. He's a best a semi-competitive school's DIII player and DIII ball isn't bad.

TROLL ALERT

?????? What does that mean?

A troll is message board slang for someone, usually a new poster who looks like they are going to offer very insightful comments. I think with you, it's the fact that you so boldly let us know you were a demanding fan by your choice of user names.

people are still trying to support CR and willing to trash Conklin who may be the most consistent player on a bad team. Why you would want to throw a very highly rated RL who has some genuine skill under the bus half way through the season is beyond me. If RL had a second big to play in and out on we would be

a hot team. Ellis is in a sophomore dip and we keep subbing the same two bigs together in most games meaning both have to be on fire to get something going. You would like to see Ellis and RL play together because both can hit a three. Well if Ellis could find himself he could help Loe. Same way with DE he can shoot the 10 foot jumper as can Loe but I think DE has one or two threes for the season. Forget CR and BC on shooting threes.

We have the team that is left after the stars were dimmed. Next year will be different JB can jump shoot, that will let DE, RL, ELlis all benefit from having someone else on the court that is a threat.

Right now Jett, RL, DE are about the only ones that will shoot if they are open. Even Ellis has shown reluctance to shoot this year and last year he would have shoot 15-20 times a game if you let him.

How many times did the team shoot the last 25 minutes of the last game? It is like watching the Rams quarterback get sacked because all of the receivers are covered and its a pass play.

A troll is message board slang for someone, usually a new poster who looks like they are going to offer very insightful comments. I think with you, it's the fact that you so boldly let us know you were a demanding fan by your choice of user names.

"I hate trolls" - Willow Ufgood

people are still trying to support CR and willing to trash Conklin who may be the most consistent player on a bad team. Why you would want to throw a very highly rated RL who has some genuine skill under the bus half way through the season is beyond me. If RL had a second big to play in and out on we would be

a hot team. Ellis is in a sophomore dip and we keep subbing the same two bigs together in most games meaning both have to be on fire to get something going. You would like to see Ellis and RL play together because both can hit a three. Well if Ellis could find himself he could help Loe. Same way with DE he can shoot the 10 foot jumper as can Loe but I think DE has one or two threes for the season. Forget CR and BC on shooting threes.

We have the team that is left after the stars were dimmed. Next year will be different JB can jump shoot, that will let DE, RL, ELlis all benefit from having someone else on the court that is a threat.

Right now Jett, RL, DE are about the only ones that will shoot if they are open. Even Ellis has shown reluctance to shoot this year and last year he would have shoot 15-20 times a game if you let him.

How many times did the team shoot the last 25 minutes of the last game? It is like watching the Rams quarterback get sacked because all of the receivers are covered and its a pass play.

Highly rated holds no bearing. I think people saw that Pre-season rookie team accolades and thought he'd be something to see, I was one of them. Besides shooting a three, I don't think he has too much to offer the team on a competitive basis and yes he's got a ways to go he's still in diapers, but can he keep up with DI and even more specifically A-10 play? I think not, but that question remains to be answered. He gets hot, fine that's awesome good for him, great for the team. He has potential to score 20 then give up 20 aka nothing. My mentality is defense, I couldn't care less if we scored 20 pts if the other team scores 10.

Also, was I supposed to ease into this whole message board thing? Subtly in word choice is not my strongest attribute. -_-