Visitor from Texas...

Howdy all...

I am here on business from Texas and I thought I would try and take in a college basketball game while I am here...

So, I am planning on going to the SLU-Jacksonville game on Wednesday night...

Any tips for me concerning tickets, parking, places to eat before the game, etc...??

I will probably be by myself, so I doubt a ticket will be a problem... What are the prices...?? Do people sell (or give away) them outside the arena...??

Any recommendations on where to sit for the best atmosphere...?? Is there a vocal student section...??

I am a graduate of UTEP and I saw many battles between Rick Majerus and Don Haskins...

I am really looking forward to the game and hope you guys can give me some pointers...

Any recommendations on where to sit for the best atmosphere...?? Is there a vocal student section...??

Unfortunately there probably won't be much of a student section, there never is over thanksgiving or christmas break. Most of the students that come sit in the seats as opposed to the student section or they'll sit in the student section and won't be very vocal.

Howdy all...

I am here on business from Texas and I thought I would try and take in a college basketball game while I am here...

Any tips for me concerning tickets, parking, places to eat before the game, etc...??

I will probably be by myself, so I doubt a ticket will be a problem... What are the prices...?? Do people sell (or give away) them outside the arena...??

I hope you enjoy the game.

As 05 said, the student section will most likely suck.

The cliche answer for where to eat before the game is Pappy's, a BBQ joint just down the street. But Ill go ahead and recommend it anyway, the food is dynamite. Don't be discouraged by a long line, it moves quickly. But I would recommend leaving yourself enough time to eat and get to the game.

People do sell tickets in front of the stadium for cheap.

I hope you enjoy the game.

As 05 said, the student section will most likely suck.

The cliche answer for where to eat before the game is Pappy's, a BBQ joint just down the street. But Ill go ahead and recommend it anyway, the food is dynamite. Don't be discouraged by a long line, it moves quickly. But I would recommend leaving yourself enough time to eat and get to the game.

People do sell tickets in front of the stadium for cheap.

Buy a ticket to get in- there will be plenty of walk up tickets outside or under the Chaifetz sign in the lobby.

Sit as low as possible to fill in for no shows-with our recent losess many season ticket holders will feel less compelled to attend.

Howdy all...

I am a graduate of UTEP and I saw many battles between Rick Majerus and Don Haskins...

I am really looking forward to the game and hope you guys can give me some pointers...

please wear blue :)

McKinney Miner (if that is your real name)......skip Pappy's BBQ. Yes the STL guys love it but as a fellow Metroplexer myself I would recommend getting some good Italian food while in town. I'm not aware of 1 good Italian place in the metroplex. I don't know if there are any good ones in Midtown (the area around SLU) or not. Someone else please let him know if there is, however if you are driving in from Fenton you will be in the vicinity of The Hill. That is the Italian neighborhood of St. Louis and has many choices. Check slubillikens.com to see if there are any ticket specials.

If you go out late after the game be sure to get Slinger at one of the local diners (Courtesy Diner, Uncle Bills, The Buttery on Grand). The slinger is to STL what Chico's Tacos are to El Paso.

I'm not aware of 1 good Italian place in the metroplex.

In Mckinney there is a place called Sicily's that is really good...

Although, it isn't technically Italian...

The owners are Albanian and most of the menu items are a little different than traditional Italian...

But, if you're ever in McKinney it is worth the visit...

I try to get to as many restaurants as possible, so I will let you know my favorites.

STL is known for Italian. If you want to get the real deal on the Hill, try Trattoria Marcella. About Olive Garden prices, but PHENOMENALLY good. Near SLU is Vito's, which is also excellent and just across Olive/Lindell and very close to the Arena.

My favorite restaurant near SLU would have to be The Fountain on Locust. Best thing there is the grilled cheese (served with Fuji Apples), the soups are great, and the ice cream is best in St. Louis IMO. Get the brownie in a cup, and even though they list it as being served with vanilla, change it to whatever flavor you like mixed with chocolate (the after dinner mint is my favorite).

Pappy's is really good. Has been on food network and discovery channel many times.

However, my wife and I's special place is Sage, located across the street from Anheuser-Busch in Soulard. Go to restaurant.com right now, find the coupon, during checkout type in JOY in the promotion box, and then you can get $25 off of $35 dollars for 2 bucks over the next couple of days. Bring this in to this restaurant and try anything on this menu and you will leave a happier person. My favorites are the cajun shrimp, steak, and sausage pasta, and the escolar. This last dish just won the chef Taste of St. Louis, and it is well deserving of the award. Sage definitely has my vote, especially if you would like to go on the brewery tour just before hand.

(I really like food and could list off many more excellent options if you would like to pm me. I'm good at getting deals too!)

Ticket wise, I would buy the cheapest thing you can find. Then, move down way lower. There will be lots of empty seats considering how we are doing and how all of the students will be home for Christmas break, etc. The first few games there were people giving them away for free outside, but I don't know if you will find them on Wed or not.

For parking, I would go West on Laclede or Forest Park Parkway and park at a meter. You will be parking in a safe place around campus,and it is only a few blocks to the arena east on Laclede. There will be spots there, though, and it is free after 7. I would much rather walk than pay $10 or whatever at the garage and then have to wait in traffic after the game to get out.

Hope this helps. I like playing STL tour guide if you need any more recommendations.

Original poster...fyi...all restaurants mentioned in this thread are walkable to the Arena by a few city blocks except Sage, Trattoria Marcella and The Hill.

If you are walking to the game after parking your car or getting dropped off... ...and if it were me...Pappy's,(bbq) Fountain on Locust, Vito's(sicilian pizza and pastas), Good Pie,(neopolitan pizza) City would be my choices. Buy a cheap ticket and move down. All seats are good ones in the Arena. You can either get that ticket right outside or at the ticket window.

I'm not as big of a fan of The U(inconsistent hit or miss sammies and service) or Triumph(upscale bar food place) Buffalo Brewing because I haven't eaten there and can't say either way.

Original poster...fyi...all restaurants mentioned in this thread are walkable to the Arena by a few city blocks except Sage, Trattoria Marcella and The Hill.

If you are walking to the game after parking your car or getting dropped off... ...and if it were me...Pappy's,(bbq) Fountain on Locust, Vito's(sicilian pizza and pastas), Good Pie,(neopolitan pizza) City would be my choices. Buy a cheap ticket and move down. All seats are good ones in the Arena. You can either get that ticket right outside or at the ticket window.

I'm not as big of a fan of The U(inconsistent hit or miss sammies and service) or Triumph(upscale bar food place) Buffalo Brewing because I haven't eaten there and can't say either way.

I like buffalo brewing, they have good micro-brews and good wings.

We like Buffalo Brewing, in part because of the prices and the micro-brews. We also like Triumph. The atmosphere is more upscale than Buffalo Brewing, but the prices are very reasonable and they have a good selection. Buffalo Brewing does not take reservations, but Triumph does. We haven't been back to Vito's in a long time. They used to be a favorite, but the service just kept getting worse, so we gave up. Maybe it's improved.

I like buffalo brewing, they have good micro-brews and good wings.

if the main caveat is "walking distance to chaifetz" then i take pappy's. just get there early enough to get food eat and get to the game. typically a line.

otherwise if your caveat is "experience st louis", i agree "the hill" should be the first destination.

We like Buffalo Brewing, in part because of the prices and the micro-brews. We also like Triumph. The atmosphere is more upscale than Buffalo Brewing, but the prices are very reasonable and they have a good selection. Buffalo Brewing does not take reservations, but Triumph does. We haven't been back to Vito's in a long time. They used to be a favorite, but the service just kept getting worse, so we gave up. Maybe it's improved.

Sqwires at 18th and Park and 1111 on Mississippi are both great; I think both have cocktail hour deals and parking is easy as Sqwires. They are in Lafayette Square (full of post civil war homes) about 15 blocks Southest of Chaifetz.

Funny, I stopped going to Vito's when a guy and what could have been his mother started yelling at each other-not a pleasant experience unless the workers are putting on a play.

Please go to Humphrey's, a typical campus bar/restaurant. You'll need to get there a couple of hours before the game. It's 2 short blocks from the Arena and she provides a free shuttle. No one supports the athletic department like the owner, Jan, and she should receive all of the support from SLU boosters.

Please go to Humphrey's, a typical campus bar/restaurant. You'll need to get there a couple of hours before the game. It's 2 short blocks from the Arena and she provides a free shuttle. No one supports the athletic department like the owner, Jan, and she should receive all of the support from SLU boosters.

-miner, this is the call for food/drink

-good call by slu72 fan

Great posts from everyone...!!

I thank all of you so much...

I think my plan is this:

I am going to leave Fenton Around 4:00pm...

I am going eat at Sage...

Try and find parking at a meter...

Hopefully find a cheap ticket outside...

Go in and buy a hat or shirt...

Move down to be closer to the action...

Cheer lustily for the hometown Billikens...!!

Sounds like a great evening...

Come gameday I may post what I'll be wearing and my cell number if anyone wants to say hi at the game...

Again, thanks for all your suggestions...

P.S. - The suggestion of having a Slider sounded too yummy, so I am heading out later tonight to scare one up... LOL

I am eating Italian on the Hill tonight and I am planning on eating at Humphrey's tomorrow night with a friend...