OT: SLU Hospital

davidlee

How about he upgrades the baseball field and softball field before buying a hospital...Unreal

If he is having trouble with Tenant over the affiliation he may not have a choice if SLU wants to continue have a viable Medical School.

I can't think of any other reason he would want it. Most academic medical centers just hemmorage money big time.

quote name='sluball200' timestamp='1288059048' post='247427']

How about he upgrades the baseball field and softball field before buying a hospital...Unreal

Amen! Naked statues are more important apparently.

If he is having trouble with Tenant over the affiliation he may not have a choice if SLU wants to continue have a viable Medical School.

I can't think of any other reason he would want it. Most academic medical centers just hemmorage money big time.

I think I remember hearing some rumblings about disagreements with Tenant over the residency slots at the hospital. I don't know if it was the number or specialties offered but if Tenant's running of the university hospital hinders the educational opportunities for SLU medical students and post-graduates, then I can understand why Fr. Biondi wants to step in. Hard to say whether this is a good or bad move without knowing all the dynamics (i.e., what will the purchase cost the university, is the hospital losing money, what educational advantages are there to the university reacquiring ownership of the hospital, etc.).

I think I remember hearing some rumblings about disagreements with Tenant over the residency slots at the hospital. I don't know if it was the number or specialties offered but if Tenant's running of the university hospital hinders the educational opportunities for SLU medical students and post-graduates, then I can understand why Fr. Biondi wants to step in. Hard to say whether this is a good or bad move without knowing all the dynamics (i.e., what will the purchase cost the university, is the hospital losing money, what educational advantages are there to the university reacquiring ownership of the hospital, etc.).

I know that employees are not happy with how Tenet manages the hospital. My wife works there, and the stories from before and after the sale are like night and day with respect to how the employees are treated. IMO it is the difference between for profit medicine and not.

I think the hospital that bears the school's name and houses its med school is a little more important.

Yeah, our medical program doesnt make nearly as much money as the baseball and softball programs. Hell we should buy Busch Stadium to house all the SLU baseball fans.

Yeah, our medical program doesnt make nearly as much money as the baseball and softball programs. Hell we should buy Busch Stadium to house all the SLU baseball fans.

Ha, almost funny. Let me know when another sport wins a few A-10 titles.

As somebody who works in healthcare and is privy to the money invovled, I can tell you that the revenue generated by the hospital will far outweigh anything being brought in by the university. Hopefully that will get you those updates. Biondi isn't stupid...

Ha, almost funny. Let me know when another sport wins a few A-10 titles.

Let me know when the baseball program makes a dime for the school.

I never mentioned anything about their A-10 tournament championships.

You bet. We should just neglect everything that doesn't make money for the university.

i would be more inclined to believe that tenet needs cash and will sell the hospital back to slu for a price less than they bought it from slu.

my only complaint is that had he not sold the hospital in the first place my son's education would have cost him and us a lot less money since my wife is a nurse at the hospital. we only get 2/3 tuition reimbursement from tenet, a slu employee still gets 100% i believe. :) figures it would happen after he is through.

beyond a business perspective, conditions and practices have definitely suffered through the tenet period in ownership. many days my wife has 7 or 8 patients as opposed to maybe 4 during slu ownership days. one doesnt have to be a genius to see what that has done to patient care.

i shake my head constantly at some of the management practices under tenet. the hierarchy and chain of command isnt necessarily outfitted with the right people. currently there is little incentive for the most experienced and best workers to want to advance to middle management. it is no wonder that tenet from a business perspective is not working. this is what happens when accountants make decisions without any actual line experience to relate to. bean counting should only go so far. at some point it is counter productive.

You bet. We should just neglect everything that doesn't make money for the university.

While walking by the baseball and softball fields last night, they certainly did not appear "neglected".

While walking by the baseball and softball fields last night, they certainly did not appear "neglected".

Good to hear, thanks!

Now that you know where the fields are you should check out a game or two next year.

Good to hear, thanks!

Now that you know where the fields are you should check out a game or two next year.

Not my cup of tea, Dirty. Must be something with 22 year olds using metal bats...

If they enclosed the stadium like a normal college they would bring in rev. Until then we will hold onto the glory days of soccer and watch an avg basketball program. Baseball is on the rise gentlemen when will SLU realize that?

quote name='HusakAttack' timestamp='1288110527' post='247518']

Not my cup of tea, Dirty. Must be something with 22 year olds using metal bats...

That's cool, you should check out the new bats college baseball went to. It is almost like wood.

I can understand why people don't enjoy college baseball and that is fine. However, St. Louis claims to have the best baseball fans then why not come see another team in town. These are kids that play because they love it, not for a pay check.

Well hell, that Tiger Woods sucks too. He should go back to using wooden clubs.