OT: here's a surprise Bruce Pearl in trouble

billiken_roy

apparently lied to NCAA investigators about recruiting violations. hard to believe Bruce Pearl would lie about anything. he is a calipari wanna be. it is my opinion, when a program makes the "quick" turnaround and rise to the top like Pearl did at Tennessee in all liklihood that rise was "aided" unfairly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5554682

So a coach who erred by making excessive phone call to recruits, lied about it, and then was man enough to correct the record and vow to stay at the school and finish his career if the administration will have him is equivalent to John Calipari? That is a strongly insulting comment but certainly one you have the right to make. You may want to do a bit more research on the careers of both of these coaches. Pearl was wrong, but if he follows through on what he said at his presser yesterday he should gain back some of the respect he has lost.

The Billiken basketball program is on the cusp of a "quick" turn around. Do you suspect the program has been "aided" unfairly?

So a coach who erred by making excessive phone call to recruits, lied about it, and then was man enough to correct the record and vow to stay at the school and finish his career if the administration will have him is equivalent to John Calipari? That is a strongly insulting comment but certainly one you have the right to make. You may want to do a bit more research on the careers of both of these coaches. Pearl was wrong, but if he follows through on what he said at his presser yesterday he should gain back some of the respect he has lost.

The Billiken basketball program is on the cusp of a "quick" turn around. Do you suspect the program has been "aided" unfairly?

i do not consider going on four years and no ncaa appearance, a "quick" turnaround. pearl won 22 games in his first season was in the sweet 16 by his second season and has been to 4 sweet sixteens or better in 6 seasons.

dont forget that pearl lied to the ncaa in the early 90's as an iowa asst coach because he lost out on a recruit to illinois and spurred an illinois investigation. illinois was found innocent of the pearl charges but did ultimately go on probation for other inconsistencies uncovered. not defending illinois. they deserved their punishment, but pearl did lie then as well.

last, i said he was a calipari wanna be. if i read that, i would take that to mean he isnt calipari yet. just on his way. but if you need help understanding, i will be happy to assist in your comprehension needs. to defend the likes of pearl is all i need to comprehend your ethical standards though.

i do not consider going on four years and no ncaa appearance, a "quick" turnaround. pearl won 22 games in his first season was in the sweet 16 by his second season and has been to 4 sweet sixteens or better in 6 seasons.

dont forget that pearl lied to the ncaa in the early 90's as an iowa asst coach because he lost out on a recruit to illinois and spurred an illinois investigation. illinois was found innocent of the pearl charges but did ultimately go on probation for other inconsistencies uncovered. not defending illinois. they deserved their punishment, but pearl did lie then as well.

last, i said he was a calipari wanna be. if i read that, i would take that to mean he isnt calipari yet. just on his way. but if you need help understanding, i will be happy to assist in your comprehension needs. to defend the likes of pearl is all i need to comprehend your ethical standards though.

If I ever see Roy's name in the Newspaper, I will be sure to plaster it everywhere. I've never seen someone that is so quick to judge other people.

If I ever see Roy's name in the Newspaper, I will be sure to plaster it everywhere. I've never seen someone that is so quick to judge other people.

if i do something wrong or even put myself in a position to deserve newspaper coverage i would deserve to be "plastered everywhere".

Are you still bitter about him getting the Illini slammed by the NCAA, Roy?

no i just dont like cheaters. especially ones that cheat again after getting their hands slapped.

I don't think Illinois was found innocent, they just wasn't enough evidence to be found guilty. I'm surprised you put much stock into NCAA findings. Didn't they determine there wasn't enough evidence to nail Mizzou of academic fraud in the Clemmons fiasco?

the fact you all are somewhat defending pearl is disgusting.

look the guy had to give up $1.5 million in salary for his actions. basically his entire staff is now restricted in off campus recruiting.

right. they did nothing seriously wrong.

the fact you all are somewhat defending pearl is disgusting.

look the guy had to give up $1.5 million in salary for his actions. basically his entire staff is now restricted in off campus recruiting.

right. they did nothing seriously wrong.

who is you all? I didn't defend anything he did at Tennessee. I only stated it's wrong to assume he lied about Illinois because they weren't found guilty.

No one said what he did was ok. I personally don't think you can say his career is on the same path as Cal's. He is lucky to have a job and likely has one only because of all the other stuff Mike Hamilton is dealing with.

As for questioning my ethical standards based on one post I guess I could make an interpretation that you have no life based on the amount of time you spend on this message board.

No one said what he did was ok. I personally don't think you can say his career is on the same path as Cal's. He is lucky to have a job and likely has one only because of all the other stuff Mike Hamilton is dealing with.

As for questioning my ethical standards based on one post I guess I could make an interpretation that you have no life based on the amount of time you spend on this message board.

i can think of a lot worse "time wasters" than discussing billiken basketball. if wasting a lot of time at billikens.com is my biggest transgression in life i think that is pretty good.

outside of my family and my career nothing is more important to me than billiken basketball.

Pearl is definitely on the shady side, but that's not why roy doesn't like him. roy has hated Pearl ever since the Illini and Jimmy Collins got accused of cheating. For some reason, roy thinks it was okay for Collins to be shady, just not Pearl.

Pearl is definitely on the shady side, but that's not why roy doesn't like him. roy has hated Pearl ever since the Illini and Jimmy Collins got accused of cheating. For some reason, roy thinks it was okay for Collins to be shady, just not Pearl.

jamboy, show me a coach of the ilk of pearl or calipari that i have ever given praise to? sorry, i hate cheaters period. doesnt matter who they are or where they coach.

also curious why you and others think i have any current affection for collins or the illini? those feelings of state loyalty left in 1979 when i set foot on the slu campus. i couldnt care less about illinois. i probably dont hate them as much as mi$$ouri, but that has more to do with the tiger fanship.

Anyone sticking up for a greasy scumbag like Bruce Pearl has his head in the sand.

In the Illinois case, Pearl recorded the kid saying he got a car from an Illinois assistant and gave the tape to the NCAA. They couldn't find evidence of a car, but found numerous other violations at Illinois and slapped them with a 1-year ban from postseason play. Pearl got unofficially blacklisted from D-I until UWM brought him back after his success at Southern Indiana, a lower division school.

This time around, he pulls a Kelvin Sampson at Tennessee, goes way beyond what he was allowed to do with cell phones and then has other unauthorized ones racking up minutes and lies to the NCAA when they look into it. Just because he finally fessed up and Tennessee punished itself doesn't mean he's a stand-up guy. None of this even starts beginning to discuss all the trouble his players have gotten into since he took over at Tennessee.

I also don't think Roy has any bias for the Illinois program, either, and I sure as hell don't. Just calling a spade a spade. Oh yeah, and he's probably a little too old for this stuff:

http://deadspin.com/373003/the-sweet-16-begins-and-bruce-pearl-is-ready

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9GUr__JVdTE/SSoiPU7d26I/AAAAAAAABE0/lXzAWEtibk8/s400/9641942778b87d176e4a1f1707b82f0f_brucepealhotties.jpg

I could not care less about Bruce Pearl - it took me a moment to remember who he was - but I could not let the above comment go. Is this supposed to be a joke are has the universe just exploded? Maybe it's opposite day and I just didn't notice. The Billiken's turnaround has been a lot of things, but "quick" is definitely not a word that comes to mind.

If you think 10 years since our last NCAA appearance is a quick turnaround you must plan on living to be around 300 years old. Guys like Calipari and Pearl could turn around Savnnah State in a year and have them in the sweet 16 by year 2. They are the types that will promise a kid the world, make sure he gets a 30+ on his ACT by not even showing up, and driving an Escalade by the end of his Sophomore year. Ooops, almost forgot, if he plays for Calipari he won't be around for his soph year, he'll be averaging 17+ in the NBA. Of course, he'll still get an Escalade.

interesting all you pearl defenders that felt a few phone calls was no big deal. now it has come to the surface that actually, pearl had juniors at his house when that would be prohibited prior to them becoming seniors and that in addition to the massive number of illegal phone calls were behind his punishment.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13947411/sources-exrecruit-craft-at-center-of-ncaas-tennessee-probe

interesting all you pearl defenders that felt a few phone calls was no big deal. now it has come to the surface that actually, pearl had juniors at his house when that would be prohibited prior to them becoming seniors and that in addition to the massive number of illegal phone calls were behind his punishment.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13947411/sources-exrecruit-craft-at-center-of-ncaas-tennessee-probe

who are "all you Pearl defenders"?

I know Roy is going to come back with some witty post about being a Bruce Pearl defender. He's a standup guy and a great coach how many D-1 coaches paint up for a Women's Basketball game. He has long been a supporter and one of Pat Summitt's biggest fans. I have family in TN and the boost that he has given that program in a relatively short time is incredible. Now UT is selling out both Men's and Women's games and he has to be one of the main reasons. I don't care if he lied about making excessive calls and that mess he was in with Illinois. He's a great coach and a great mascot that can rally kids around him for a Men's Basketball program that has never really had much success before his arrival.

I know Roy is going to come back with some witty post about being a Bruce Pearl defender. He's a standup guy and a great coach how many D-1 coaches paint up for a Women's Basketball game. He has long been a supporter and one of Pat Summitt's biggest fans. I have family in TN and the boost that he has given that program in a relatively short time is incredible. Now UT is selling out both Men's and Women's games and he has to be one of the main reasons. I don't care if he lied about making excessive calls and that mess he was in with Illinois. He's a great coach and a great mascot that can rally kids around him for a Men's Basketball program that has never really had much success before his arrival.

nothing witty, i am too ill from "standup guy", "great coach", "dont care if he lied", "dont care about making excessive calls", "dont care about mess he was in with illinois", "he's a great coach and great mascot" "can rally kis around him for a men's basketball program".

what are you his agent?

maybe that never before success is derived from his CHEATING?

ever think of that? my gosh. they got him dead to right. his career is at very minimum going to change if not be over.