Outside shooting

Stats can be misleading. Believe they are in this case. In baseball, when a team is winning by 4 runs, alot of guys can and do get a hit. With bases loaded. with 2 outs in an inning, with a 2 strike count, many of these same guys simply don't get the job done. Last year, at critical times in the games, KM, JJ and CE were the guys wanting the ball. Statistics be damned, KC and CS played hot potato with the ball. Early in the season, CS shot the hall at will. Half way thru the year, he was reluctant.

Still, the consensus on this thread appears that improvement should be widespread, and with more and better threats, outside shooting should not be a problem.

Stats can be misleading. Believe they are in this case. In baseball, when a team is winning by 4 runs, alot of guys can and do get a hit. With bases loaded. with 2 outs in an inning, with a 2 strike count, many of these same guys simply don't get the job done. Last year, at critical times in the games, KM, JJ and CE were the guys wanting the ball. Statistics be damned, KC and CS played hot potato with the ball. Early in the season, CS shot the hall at will. Half way thru the year, he was reluctant.

Still, the consensus on this thread appears that improvement should be widespread, and with more and better threats, outside shooting should not be a problem.

How do they guard us if RL is better than CE? CE changed our team dramatically last year and you have to figure him to improve

in stamina and start the season, unhurt.

Let the games begin!

How do they guard us if RL is better than CE? CE changed our team dramatically last year and you have to figure him to improve

Let the games begin!

If RL is better than CE at the start of the season we will beat Duke...mark it down.

Let the games begin!

I'm looking for big things this year and expect MM to make the most impact of any of the FR. While I'm looking for some immediate help from RL, after watching his performance in the televised All-Star game a few months ago, I certainly am not looking for him to be better than CE-at least not at the beginning of next year. Hopefully he can progress from year to year much like IV did (until his SR year).

Too bad we don't have more to judge his abilities on, and maybe he just had a bad game that night. We can all hope that the fact that he is playing on his country's national team might be a better indicater of his immediate talent.

Obviously, none of us have any real good info on the incoming grp of recruits, but I believe they will contribute in the following order:

MM- immediate and significant

RL- mid season and less signf. than MM

DE- mid season and just less than RL (unless he redshirts as Skip mentioned in another thread-an idea I like

given the number on minutes of PT available for 3s next yr)

JJ- little impact and few minutes throughout the year (unless KM gets hurt)

I'm looking for big things this year and expect MM to make the most impact of any of the FR. While I'm looking for some immediate help from RL, after watching his performance in the televised All-Star game a few months ago, I certainly am not looking for him to be better than CE-at least not at the beginning of next year. Hopefully he can progress from year to year much like IV did (until his SR year).

Too bad we don't have more to judge his abilities on, and maybe he just had a bad game that night. We can all hope that the fact that he is playing on his country's national team might be a better indicater of his immediate talent.

Obviously, none of us have any real good info on the incoming grp of recruits, but I believe they will contribute in the following order:

DE- mid season and just less than RL (unless he redshirts as Skip mentioned in another thread-an idea I like

I remember reading somewhere that DE defense was supposed to be pretty good. If that is the case, RM won't RS him.

I remember reading somewhere that DE defense was supposed to be pretty good. If that is the case, RM won't RS him.

He might if it looks like he won't get many minutes. Minutes are going to be hard to come by, especially if CE spends time at the 3, and I'd bet he does.

With added athleticism and quickness around them, Ellis and Cassity should improve their shooting percentages. They need others to create for them when it comes to their outside shooting...and they'll have more of that moving forward.

Having seen both McCall and Mitchell play in high school, McCall is a little more athletic and a little more talented. That doesn't mean he'll be a good or great player at SLU or as good or better than Mitchell. It just means he has more potential than Mitchell. He is and will be the most ready to play as a Frosh for SLU this upcoming season. And, that's often times the case with guards vs other positions as Frosh. Mitchell has turned out to be what I thought he'd be so far for SLU. With a work ethic anywhere close to Mitchell's I see no reason why he won't show well as a Frosh and have a very good career at SLU. He'll be getting plenty of playing time and opportunity.

While I'm looking for some immediate help from RL, after watching his performance in the televised All-Star game a few months ago, I certainly am not looking for him to be better than CE-at least not at the beginning of next year. Hopefully he can progress from year to year much like IV did (until his SR year).

I understand Loe did little, if anything, during that All-Star game, but I think RL will likely be better than CE during his freshman tenure. It's really hard to judge a player by his performance in one game, let alone an All-Star game comprised of the very best at that age level. At this point, the best statistical comparison we have between the two is their performances during the 2009 FIBA games. Cody averaged about 12 ppg, while Loe averaged 19 ppg despite being a year younger than Cody at that time. Additionally, while Cody certainly had some good looking schools recruiting him, RL was highly sought after and had some of the very top schools offering schollies.

That being said, I don't necessarily think he'll have the same impact that CE did because we'll have more scoring options this year than we did last year.

I have never seen McCall or Jett play. So maybe those of you who are staying McCall will be the impact player next year and not Jett have seen both play. So tell me why McCall is so much better than Jett?

Jett has played a prep year so I assume he is one year older. He also probably played better competition this past year and is bigger, I think about 6'2" and close to 200 pounds. That sounds like a more college ready body to me. It sounds like he doesn't have as much quickness as McCall and that he is not as good of a scorer. McCall sounds more wiry at maybe 6'1" and from all reports about 170 pounds. Jett sounds like he might be a better passer. But heck, all I know is what I have read on the recruiting sites and this board.

But after reading all of this I still can't see that McCall is so much more of an impact player than Jett. SLU doesn't exactly play a running athletic game, at least not since RM has gotten to SLU. So why wouldn't a bruising defensive guard have more impact than a small quick scoring guard? I have no opinion on who will have the greater impact, I just want to understand why many folks all year long seem to be so much higher on McCall than Jett.

Exactly my thoughts on Jett! My on idea on why people put a McCall in front of Jett is because of how he is supposedly better than Kwamain at this point, and we all know how that has turned out so far. I expect bigger things out of Jett at the start of the season, simply because of his year in prep school, and let's not forget he had some good offers as well.

My on idea on why people put a McCall in front of Jett is because of how he is supposedly better than Kwamain at this point, and we all know how that has turned out so far.

Shouldn't this be your and WV's answer? If Rick was saying Jett was as good or better than KM before his freshman year, we'd all be singing a different tune. But he didn't. He said that about MM, which combined with other comments from various Illinois recruiting sites, suggests that MM is the real deal.

Exactly my thoughts on Jett! My on idea on why people put a McCall in front of Jett is because of how he is supposedly better than Kwamain at this point, and we all know how that has turned out so far. I expect bigger things out of Jett at the start of the season, simply because of his year in prep school, and let's not forget he had some good offers as well.

He went to prep school for a reason, because he wasn't ready out of high school. Also McCall's offers were as good as Jett's. And playing in the Chicago PHL is akin to playing against prep school competition.

I'm not knocking MM, heck from all I've heard he's gonna be a stud for us. The big reason I think Jett will get more PT at the beginning of the season is because he more of true point guard than anyone else on our team.

I think we can all agree it's awesome that we have this much talent to debate about.

Many kids go prep because of grades. I seem to remember RM wanted Jett last year as well. I also seem to remember Jett was highly recruited out of HS as well.

I am extremely excited about both Jett and McCall and can see both in our backcourt in two years. Time will tell who is better. And I will wait and see who has a bigger impact in 2010-2011 because I have no idea. I really hope both have a big impact.

But remember, three years ago who was going to red shirt and who was going to be the stud freshman? Thompson or Reed? It happens almost every year.

I understand Loe did little, if anything, during that All-Star game, but I think RL will likely be better than CE during his freshman tenure. It's really hard to judge a player by his performance in one game, let alone an All-Star game comprised of the very best at that age level. At this point, the best statistical comparison we have between the two is their performances during the 2009 FIBA games. Cody averaged about 12 ppg, while Loe averaged 19 ppg despite being a year younger than Cody at that time. Additionally, while Cody certainly had some good looking schools recruiting him, RL was highly sought after and had some of the very top schools offering schollies.

That being said, I don't necessarily think he'll have the same impact that CE did because we'll have more scoring options this year than we did last year.

The difference is that Ellis's Australia team was much better and went to the medal round but Loe's New Zealand team was dominated. It's a little easier to "pad" stats late in games when there's a 20-point deficit. Many times I've seen players hit meaningless 3-pointers when his team has no chance to come back and win late in games.

re: our new JJ if he gets many minutes as JJ last year that would be important; I had the impression during recruiting after his senior year we got the weaker of the two JJ's both were in play very late in the recruiting period after highschool

re: our new JJ if he gets many minutes as JJ last year that would be important; I had the impression during recruiting after his senior year we got the weaker of the two JJ's both were in play very late in the recruiting period after highschool

As I understand JJ's game, he's a solid defender and good penetrator who can dish. If this proves true, he'll get good minutes backing up KM, say 8-10 a game. Without checking what did KM avg last year per game 34-35? Which is too many. I see MM as a 2 guard who will take minutes from KC and CS.