Mizzou to the Big 10

brianstl

Odds are Big 10 chose Mizzery to gain access to the St. Louis and KC markets for their TV network. Any thoughts on how this will impact SLU, if at all?

Don't think the B-10 is done yet. They still want entry into the NY market. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Syr and Rutgers jump the Beast ship either. Not sure about Pitt as Penn State may want to block them out. The dominoes are starting to fall.

That link doesn't work for me. Any other way to see the story?

ESPN is reporting that long-swirling rumors about Missouri joining the Big Ten Conference are coming true, although these reports are still unconfirmed.

ESPN senior college sports writer Bruce Feldman says he spoke with the athletic director at a PAC-10 university saying that Missouri to the Big Ten was "a done deal."

There isn't any other official confirmation of this report, on ESPN's website or elsewhere.

Missouri has been named before among schools such as Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Rutgers as candidates on the short list to join the Big Ten.

Odds are Big 10 chose Mizzery to gain access to the St. Louis and KC markets for their TV network. Any thoughts on how this will impact SLU, if at all?

I don't really see any downside in it for SLU. Our conference has always been viewed as 3rd tier in importance around here with the Big 12 and Big 10 far ahead. With the move, the Big 10 would clearly be #1 but I doubt anyone will care about the Big 12 anymore and we won't get stuck with a bunch of OK-St Texas A&M games on Saturday afternoon t.v. Hopefully we can step up and fill some of that void and become the #2 conference in the area.

I don't really see any downside in it for SLU. Our conference has always been viewed as 3rd tier in importance around here with the Big 12 and Big 10 far ahead. With the move, the Big 10 would clearly be #1 but I doubt anyone will care about the Big 12 anymore and we won't get stuck with a bunch of OK-St Texas A&M games on Saturday afternoon t.v. Hopefully we can step up and fill some of that void and become the #2 conference in the area.

good point kshoe. hopefully banishes big 12 network from our airwaves. i like it.

good point kshoe. hopefully banishes big 12 network from our airwaves. i like it.

As I think about it, if MU does join the Big 10, I doubt that many people in this area will give a wit about what happens in the Big 12. The Big 10 will be the big player with the football teams as the big points of discussion. It will eliminate the excuse for MU and Ill. who say they play an out of conference basketball game in St. Louis every year. There would be no reason not to have each team play home and home with SLU with the game in Saint Louis alternating each year so one year we play one at home and one on the road and then flip the next year.

As I think about it, if MU does join the Big 10, I doubt that many people in this area will give a wit about what happens in the Big 12. The Big 10 will be the big player with the football teams as the big points of discussion. It will eliminate the excuse for MU and Ill. who say they play an out of conference basketball game in St. Louis every year. There would be no reason not to have each team play home and home with SLU with the game in Saint Louis alternating each year so one year we play one at home and one on the road and then flip the next year.

Exactly. As you mention. It means this is the end of the Braggin Rights game for basketball. Same with football at the Dome though that game seemed to be coming to an end anyway.

Make no mistake. This is good for SLU. Both the Illini and Mizzou have come into St. Louis these past 20 years to play in front of their boosters, alumni and fans. While doing so, they have used the series a big fundraiser and PR event. Also, they have used it as a showcase for both local and national recruiting. Local recruiting by having recruits/potential recruits like Griffey, Grimes, McKinney, Tate, ... even though who chose neither school such as Brad Beal, Suggs, etc. all come to the game as VIP guests of the programs to see them play. Both programs want to come to St. Louis every year. There is SOME truth to the fact that coming to St. Louis (not the biggest recruiting hotbed) twice in a year does lose its thunder. Invites to games in Columbia and Springfield are just not the same. Games in St. Louis against SLU would be good for the programs. How does SLU benefit by going to Columbia and Springfield other than for the game itself. Same with us going to Springfield MO and Carbondale. Every St. Louis native at these schools look at a weekend game in St. Louis as BOTH a good game and a chance to come home for the weekend. In turn, few SLU students go home to these small college towns. Don't get me wrong, I am strongly in favor of playing MO State, SIUC, Mizzou and the Illini, it's just that not much is mentioned about these obvious benefits these schools enjoy.

yeah KOMU jumped the gun hard on this one. No news here.

cheesy, just curious. as a tigerfan, what is your preference? the above leads me to think you dont want to be a part of the big ten.

If Mizzou joins the Big 10 and improves its hockey program, I'd certainly drive to Columbia to watch top-notch hockey such as the likes of Wisconsin and Minnesota. Maybe a Big 10 conference or tournament game(s) at Savvis? If so, I'd finally give a crap about what goes on with the Black and Gold.

If Mizzou joins the Big 10 and improves its hockey program, I'd certainly drive to Columbia to watch top-notch hockey such as the likes of Wisconsin and Minnesota. Maybe a Big 10 conference or tournament game(s) at Savvis? If so, I'd finally give a crap about what goes on with the Black and Gold.

The Big 10 doesnt sponser hockey.

cheesy, just curious. as a tigerfan, what is your preference? the above leads me to think you dont want to be a part of the big ten.

Mike Alden said in an interview that Illinois, which is probably somewhat comparable to mizzou (at least athletically speaking) makes $11 million more per year from the big 10 than Missouri makes from the big 12.

$11 million per year buys a lot of improvements to facilities, hiring coaches, etc.

Then there are apparently all sorts of academic benefits to being associated with the big 10 over the big 12. I think it is a no-brainer if offered.

Mike Alden said in an interview that Illinois, which is probably somewhat comparable to mizzou (at least athletically speaking) makes $11 million more per year from the big 10 than Missouri makes from the big 12.

$11 million per year buys a lot of improvements to facilities, hiring coaches, etc.

Then there are apparently all sorts of academic benefits to being associated with the big 10 over the big 12. I think it is a no-brainer if offered.

well that is what i thought as well.

I'm sure Mizzou fans would be disaapointed to not be in the same conference as Kansas. I have to think that even kids in the non-revenue sports get geeked up to play KU every year.

I think so too but ultimately I also think money wins out. I think the academic advantages are pretty big too, both in terms of funding, research opportunities and, let's face it, prestige. I realize Mizzou goes in as the weak sister academically, but it can improve over time, and just being associated with the big 10 will help some. Let the flames begin on that one.

Yes. I'm sure true and exact comparisons are difficult and that there is some variance each year, but I had heard each member of the Big 10 right now gets $22 million from the league while the Big 12 pays out $10 to $12 million per team.

I have given some thought to this possible move of MU to the Big Ten and while at first glance I could not argue with those who said it has no downside for SLU the more I mulled it over the more I became to think that it does have a downside for us. With MU in the Big 10 with IL the local media will have a built in reason to stay focused on MU and IL since they are in the same conference. We may find we get less or at best the same level of coverage because of this. How IL does is now directly connected to MU where as before IL's fortunes was of little concern to MU. The only way this does not happen is if we force the media to pay attention by winning - maybe one could say that this is how it should be but the same requirement will not be in play for either MU or IL - they will be the focus by default. If by some reason we do not get to join a high profile BB conference then we are really cooked.

I think i'd rather be in the big 10. It really does have a remarkable impact on academics with all the money coming from the CIC for research purposes. I don't know if it would have a positive impact on our football team because we have such a good thing going with texas recruiting but i think basketball would be largely unaffected. the extra money for athletics would be fantastic as well.