OT: Steve Lavin to St. John's

i'll never forget ucla had a game here vs spoon in lavin's first season. my seats at keil/scottrade/savvis/whatever it was named that particular year, were right across from the visitors bench. during timeouts the ucla players couldnt care less about listening to lavin. most disrespected college coach by his own players i ever witnessed.

i'll never forget ucla had a game here vs spoon in lavin's first season. my seats at keil/scottrade/savvis/whatever it was named that particular year, were right across from the visitors bench. during timeouts the ucla players couldnt care less about listening to lavin. most disrespected college coach by his own players i ever witnessed.

I just assumed Lavin always wanted his players to look at his hair gel, and never directly into the eyes of the beast.

I'm not sure what to think of Lavin as a coach. On the one hand, he's won games in the NCAA Tournament and achieved some recruiting success. On the other hand, he was coaching at UCLA, which as Majerus has said "is like recruiting an alcoholic to a New Year's Eve party." Apparently he only became the UCLA coach because Harrick was fired right before the season started, and Romar and Mark Gottfried had each left the program for ehad coaching jobs, leaving Lavin to coach on an interim basis. He had some success, so he had the interim tag lifted.

Not sure how he'll do at St. John's though. He a California guy, growing up there and coaching at UCLA. I think he'll have to bring in a staff of people who know their way around NYC and East Coast basketball.

I had heard yesterday that Paul Hewitt was going to take this job. Any word on what he's going to do?

He announced a week ago he wasn't intrested in St Johns. He has three school age daughters who along with his wife didn't want move away.

St John's was turned down by several coaches. Some guys didn't even want to interview there. Hiring Lavin was a last ditch effort.

Baron Davis said something to the effect that his UCLA team was the best NCAA team ever without a coach.

St John's was turned down by several coaches. Some guys didn't even want to interview there. Hiring Lavin was a last ditch effort.

Baron Davis said something to the effect that his UCLA team was the best NCAA team ever without a coach.

Now, during the Day-Ole Miss NIT game they are interviewing Lavin. Her looks good with that slicked back hair.

BTW, looks like Frascilla is talking with Iona.

How would Baron know that? He has never wanted to listen to a coach. The guy is a coach killer.

Lavin Has an elite eight and went to at least the sweet 16 five times in his seven years as UCLA coach. Lavin is a good hire. The key will be who he brings in as assistants.

How would Baron know that? He has never wanted to listen to a coach. The guy is a coach killer.

Lavin Has an elite eight and went to at least the sweet 16 five times in his seven years as UCLA coach. Lavin is a good hire. The key will be who he brings in as assistants.

Baron has played for 4 coaches in his NBA career. 2 were fired while he played for the team but it really had nothing to do with him. His coaches in the league were Paul Silas (horrible coach), Tim Floyd (half a season), Don Nelson, Mike Dunleavy (horrible coach).

Davis is actually a good player, just not as good as he was supposed to be, and a good teammate. Just because he is a shoot and score first pg doesn't mean he is a coach killer.

Barry Rohrssen will not be joining Lavin's staff.

brian we shall see how good lavin does now that he no longer has the mystique of the greatest men's basketball program in history to back him up. lavin walked in on a national championship team with all that history and slowly let the air out of the tires. i am convinced he will fail. but who knows.

Baron has played for 4 coaches in his NBA career. 2 were fired while he played for the team but it really had nothing to do with him. His coaches in the league were Paul Silas (horrible coach), Tim Floyd (half a season), Don Nelson, Mike Dunleavy (horrible coach).

Davis is actually a good player, just not as good as he was supposed to be, and a good teammate. Just because he is a shoot and score first pg doesn't mean he is a coach killer.

Barry Rohrssen will not be joining Lavin's staff.

Rohrssen is a good first move by Lavin.