Willie Reed

Bill_Ken R

I am so impressed with this young man and his dramatic improvement in just one full season and eight games into this one. His commitment to improve his game and the coaching he is getting are really paying dividends.

I just watched the post-game videos on BillikenReport from the SIU game and Willie comes across exceptionally well. He is intelligent, well-spoken and really makes a wonderful impression for SLU. He appears to be a true Billiken student-athlete.

Just imagine how good he could be his junior and senior years. And how good our team could be.

I am so impressed with this young man and his dramatic improvement in just one full season and eight games into this one. His commitment to improve his game and the coaching he is getting are really paying dividends.

I just watched the post-game videos on BillikenReport from the SIU game and Willie comes across exceptionally well. He is intelligent, well-spoken and really makes a wonderful impression for SLU. He appears to be a true Billiken student-athlete.

Just imagine how good he could be his junior and senior years. And how good our team could be.

I love the players on this team. The salukis had a really good recruiting class two years ago (class of 08) and I think our sophomores are significantly better than theirs are. If we can keep up this improvement we will be a team to worry about, maybe even by then end of this year.

Guest BillikenReport

Willie's mom was at the game last night. I didn't know it until afterward, but she was sitting in on the press conference.

I have to echo these sentiments on Willie. I was very impressed the first time I watched one of Nate's press conference videos. Willie, as well as Kwamain, Brian, and Kyle are very well spoken, which is very nice to see. I remember just a few years back hearing one of my fellow University News sportswriters once say that they had to interview a certain two players on the team at the time, and the writer was worried if they were going to get a couple of coherent sentences out of the players to use as quotes in an article. None of those problems with these guys.

In Majerus' press conference he commented that he was very proud of Willie because Willie had just gotten a certain grade on a math test. Rick said that Willie had studied very hard for the test, and that he was more proud of that test grade than any rebound Willie hauls down in a game.

Willie has come along way no doubt, but I can't for the life of me understand all the NBA talk. When we get into league play you will see why he is no where near NBA material. In fact, if I was coaching against slu, my whole game plan would be based around getting the ball down low to whoever Willie is guarding, every time. Sure, hes 6'10" so hes gonna get his blocks, but big deal, it is way to easy to post up, back in, jam time.

And I don't know what game you all were watching last night, but neither one of those teams played worth a ######. Carbondale is terrible this year, and looking around at some of the A-10, Slu is gonna take some ass whoopins

Im just not sold on this whole deal yet, they have a good core to in the future be an at large tourney bid from what it looks like to me. Rickma needs to gather up the alumns and fork over some dough to land someone that can score at will. Then they will be in business

Willie has come along way no doubt, but I can't for the life of me understand all the NBA talk. When we get into league play you will see why he is no where near NBA material. In fact, if I was coaching against slu, my whole game plan would be based around getting the ball down low to whoever Willie is guarding, every time. Sure, hes 6'10" so hes gonna get his blocks, but big deal, it is way to easy to post up, back in, jam time.

And I don't know what game you all were watching last night, but neither one of those teams played worth a ######. Carbondale is terrible this year, and looking around at some of the A-10, Slu is gonna take some ass whoopins

Im just not sold on this whole deal yet, they have a good core to in the future be an at large tourney bid from what it looks like to me. Rickma needs to gather up the alumns and fork over some dough to land someone that can score at will. Then they will be in business

c'mon man, hes only a sophomore. Yes, hes is too skinny and would get pushed around in the NBA, but what sophomore wouldn't. He has size, athleticism, work ethic, smarts, and is beginning to show some touch. He has all the skills that an NBA scout would be looking for in a sophomore.

p.s. that fadeaway Jumper he hit yesterday was a new move for him, I like it.

He held his own against Harangody and Brackins...

Are you advocating cheating? We don't need any "fans" like you.

Can you pass the HGH?

this is the slu fan board bro no discussion of peptides or juice lets have a little class here

anyway looking forward to Quanzo Martin comin back home, MS is tough this year he will have his boys ready to go

And back To willie, I don't think Majerus works him in enough as it is, the top of the key spin off alley oop last night was more along the lines of a offensive minded approach, so far in his tenure I've been highly dissapointed in the lack of offensive sets, but lets hope he's turning the page.

Gotta give up though, the guy motivates on the defensive end for sure

I will make a thread on it later this week to discuss, but let me just say I can't believe there isn't more talk around here about the lack of offensive sets Majerus runs, I mean it's as simple as a double screen up top to get JJ either an open 3 ball look or a quick dish down low to Willie in the paint, take your chances with him one on one. I'm not saying they don't run an offense, but for the most part the offense they run is highly predictable and looks like a slow motion replay.

this is the slu fan board bro no discussion of peptides or juice lets have a little class here

anyway looking forward to Quanzo Martin comin back home, MS is tough this year he will have his boys ready to go

And back To willie, I don't think Majerus works him in enough as it is, the top of the key spin off alley oop last night was more along the lines of a offensive minded approach, so far in his tenure I've been highly dissapointed in the lack of offensive sets, but lets hope he's turning the page.

Gotta give up though, the guy motivates on the defensive end for sure

Interesting you say this is a fan board but yet you're talking big on one of the other threads. Thats classy bro. You've also been flaming on just about every thread you post on so far.

Lack of offensive sets? You obviously are new to basketball. SLU runs the motion offense, arguably the toughest offense to learn in basketball. Teams in the NBA run it, the Utah Jazz for example. You want to see lack of offensive sets, watch some Kentucky basketball. Anyway, most of the sets are geared to working the ball into the post to Willie and Brian.

About the only thing I've agreed with you so far is the last sentence here.

I will make a thread on it later this week to discuss, but let me just say I can't believe there isn't more talk around here about the lack of offensive sets Majerus runs, I mean it's as simple as a double screen up top to get JJ either an open 3 ball look or a quick dish down low to Willie in the paint, take your chances with him one on one. I'm not saying they don't run an offense, but for the most part the offense they run is highly predictable and looks like a slow motion replay.

Wow you're an offensive genius. And you're not coaching anywhere yet? I mean, you're so right. It's so easy I wonder why anybody hasn't done it before.

This is laughable... what are you 13 years old or a 35 cellar dweller living in your mom's basement? "Fork over dough for someone who can score at will".... well LeBron James is an FA after this year, whatta ya think, Spririt, should we go after him?

Oh, God, spare us please. We have a new village idiot who believes he is the reincarnated spirit of Red Auerbach or Adolph Rupp.

Huh?

Huh?

While I agree that this guy is a real piece of work, I do wish we'd get the ball on the block more often. WR is darn near unstoppable so far this year. WR and BC post up hard, but we aren't very patient about kicking it in. That being said, so far, the team is much more fluid than last year.

While I agree that this guy is a real piece of work, I do wish we'd get the ball on the block more often. WR is darn near unstoppable so far this year. WR and BC post up hard, but we aren't very patient about kicking it in. That being said, so far, the team is much more fluid than last year.

The previous 2 seasons, even w/ KL and TL, it looked like RM was trying to teach his offense by speaking Mandarin Chinese. This year it's a whole lot more in synch. My guess is the young guys were looking to KL and TL for direction and they were equally as dumbfounded by what RM was trying to develop.

Interesting you say this is a fan board but yet you're talking big on one of the other threads. Thats classy bro. You've also been flaming on just about every thread you post on so far.

Lack of offensive sets? You obviously are new to basketball. SLU runs the motion offense, arguably the toughest offense to learn in basketball. Teams in the NBA run it, the Utah Jazz for example. You want to see lack of offensive sets, watch some Kentucky basketball. Anyway, most of the sets are geared to working the ball into the post to Willie and Brian.

About the only thing I've agreed with you so far is the last sentence here.

1) Motion, toughest offfense in basketball? Not sure if serious you first learn a basic motion offense in highschool.

2) Did you really just bring up Kentucky? Understand, when you have a team full of athletes that can run the court like Kentucky, you can rely less and less on having to out coach a team by way of offense scheme calling. That goes without saying so I wont adress that remark anymore.

3) Isolation sets, we need more of them. JJ beyond the arc, WIllie on on one tight.

1) Motion, toughest offfense in basketball? Not sure if serious you first learn a basic motion offense in highschool.

2) Did you really just bring up Kentucky? Understand, when you have a team full of athletes that can run the court like Kentucky, you can rely less and less on having to out coach a team by way of offense scheme calling. That goes without saying so I wont adress that remark anymore.

3) Isolation sets, we need more of them. JJ beyond the arc, WIllie on on one tight.

1. It is the toughest because it relies on the players to make rapid decisions based on whats available in order for the offense to work properly. Wouldnt you say that a set play in which the player has one option - say to go set a screen on the block - would be a much more 'simple' offense to run? They are not saying its the most diverse in terms of the players positioning and spacing. Its all about learning how to understand game situations and defenses which is much more cerebral than memorizing a play book.

3. Isolation sets lead to players standing around and the flow of an offense getting destroyed. We do not have the type of experience or talent right now where we can have someone go one on one all game and expect to win against high quality opponents. We need balanced scoring and sharp passing to be effective on the offensive end. Look at the games we have won. I believe in the SIU game and previous contests we had 4 or even 5 players in double figures. In Chicago, we had willie and brian dominating in the post and no balanced scoring and came away with two losses. Plain and simple, isolation sets are not going to cut it right now.