Mens Soccer Coach

bobiken

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it time for the Donigan era to end? SLU should go out and pay what is necessary to get the Akron coach. It is all about recruiting

and this guy is one of the best recruiters.

Notwithstanding all the previous commentary on this issue, would the Akron coach even consider the SLU job?

Is it time for the Donigan era to end? SLU should go out and pay what is necessary to get the Akron coach. It is all about recruiting

If it was all about recruiting, why would we let him go now? Our Freshman class is the best in a few years and we have a class coming in that should be at least it's equal.

If it was all about recruiting, why would we let him go now? Our Freshman class is the best in a few years and we have a class coming in that should be at least it's equal.

Best compared with who? Akron had a top 5 recruiting class. SLU didn't even have a top 40 recruiting class. So the 'best in a few years' compared to previous SLU classes doesn't appear to be that good.

Beyond recruiting though, what about coaching? I haven't been to a game recently but early in the year they did not look like a well coached team.

Beyond recruiting though, what about coaching? I haven't been to a game recently but early in the year they did not look like a well coached team.

Most games ive seen have been poorly coached. the extents of that has been discussed extensively. Only exception i saw was the Fordham game. pretty impressive. didn't really help with the next game though appparently. I assume they just "got up" for that game cause it was fordham.

Best compared with who? Akron had a top 5 recruiting class. SLU didn't even have a top 40 recruiting class. So the 'best in a few years' compared to previous SLU classes doesn't appear to be that good.

You're preaching to the choir about coaching. My statement seemed clear regarding compared to who. I would however suggest you get your facts straight regarding SLU's recruiting.

You're preaching to the choir about coaching. My statement seemed clear regarding compared to who. I would however suggest you get your facts straight regarding SLU's recruiting.

What facts are there? Donigan may be bringing in good classes compared to previous classes he brought in but he's not bringing in top 40 classes. That was the point I was trying to make. He's had time to recruit and bring his own players, and he's not really doing anything with them. Is there a good reason is there to retain him after this year?

What facts are there? Donigan may be bringing in good classes compared to previous classes he brought in but he's not bringing in top 40 classes. That was the point I was trying to make. He's had time to recruit and bring his own players, and he's not really doing anything with them. Is there a good reason is there to retain him after this year?

I don't think he's ever had a class not top 40. Hell, he had one that was #1 or #2. Most of his classes have been in the 20 range. This last one was I believe 16 by college soccer news and even higher by other pubs.

Why would you come on here and state he's not bringing in top 40 classes, when you clearly have absolutely no knowledge of the truth.

Unless this is the first soccer thread you've ever read on Billikens.com, you'd have to have a serious comprehension problem to not be very clear where I stand on DD.

"Soccer America," among others have rated SLU's current Frosh class as top ten in America. This hadn't been the case in prior recent seasons.

Yes, by all means, SLU should do whatever it takes to obtain the coaches of the top ranked teams this season in all sports. I expect this to be completed by Wednesday.

Courtside might be able to answer this best, but is there even a hint that DD is on the hot seat?

I think Timmermann hinted at it the other day.

So the teams they’ve lost to are all fairly good. The problem is the best team they’ve beaten this season is Washington at No. 57. And then after that it’s Fordham at 80. And that’s going to crank up the pressure on Dan Donigan.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...nday-at-dayton/

I think Timmermann hinted at it the other day.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...nday-at-dayton/

There are a lot of highly ranked college soccer teams whose rankings don't match their RPI's. Louisville comes to mind, as being a top 5 team that has struggled with RPI this year as an at large possibility. Despite highly ranked teams, the Big East had zero top 25 teams in the mist recent RPI.

SLU annually plays one of the toughest nonIconference schedules, and mostly gets very strong results with it. The results weren't there this year non-conference, and, the conference is down sans a handful of teams. Last year it was a much different story for the league.

SLU's regular season results have been good, both non-conference and in conference most seasons. SLU had won 3 out of the possible 4 league titles since joining the league.

Where SLU hasn't had as much success is the conference tourney, no titles in 4 tries, and having a recent few year deep NCAA run after having several under Donigan previously. SLU shouldn't be expected to win the league tourney every year, but should win it once every few seasons. A deep NCAA run isn't expected every year and shouldn't be, but SLU should be mixing in deeper runs with earlier exits.

14 leagues are represented in the current RPI to 28. That's a parity party.

Bradley made a quarters run recently, and this year they are well below .500. UIC took 5 games to find a win this year. They were a quarters team recently. Indiana has 7 losses this year. Creighton has struggled this year. SMU won't get an invite. There is a ton of parity. What SLU hasn't done recently is mix in their own deeper run to go along with the regular season results.

Therefore it would be logical that if he recruits a top 20 class they should be in the top twenty every year and be able to make it past the first round of the NCAA's. How much time does he need?

SLU has been ranked in the top 20, top 10, in recent years. SLU also has wins and draws vs many top ten and top twenty teams in recent years.

SLU has been in the second round of the NCAA's twice in the past handful of years. SLU won a 2-1 thriller over #2 zindiana, tied Creighton in 2 ot last year, etc...and has strong records against ranked opponents minus this season.

...How many SLU soccer games has TT attended all season, home, road, or neutral? That's not the first place I'd go for info.

SLU has been ranked in the top 20, top 10, in recent years. SLU also has wins and draws vs many top ten and top twenty teams in recent years.

SLU has been in the second round of the NCAA's twice in the past handful of years. SLU won a 2-1 thriller over #2 zindiana, tied Creighton in 2 ot last year, etc...and has strong records against ranked opponents minus this season.

...How many SLU soccer games has TT attended all season, home, road, or neutral? That's not the first place I'd go for info.

Good stuff. So now you take shots at TT for not attending games. No attendance = no knowledge. :lol: Sure, you're right!! You're alway right!! TT has no connections at SLU. TT gets no inside information. The basketball beat writer at SLU knows nothing about SLU soccer. In fact, b/c he did not attend the last game, I'm waiting for you to call TT a troll. Trash the messenger and provide us with some misleading stats. Good to see your back to your old ways.

Courtside, your're right. TT would get much more inside scoup and inside info sitting alongside guys like you in the stands each game. As a matter of fact, TT should simply sits in the stands and not only watch SLU play their opponents but also be there to personally watch all the unlucky bounces while SLU plays their opponents "evenly" despite being outshot and losing that other sometimes troubling stat -- the actual score of the game. ;)

Courtside. Please give us a daily countdown until we receive your post-season comments. :lol:

I saw Timmerman at one of the games this year. He is a soccer junkie.

Excuses are made about Donigan all the time.

With a history like SLU's we should aspire to be a top ten program. I don't care who coaches the team but we should be able to achieve results like this. We have the facilities and the wherewithal to do it. I don't think Donigan can achieve these results and he hasn't throughout his tenure.

With a history like SLU's we should aspire to be a top ten program. I don't care who coaches the team but we should be able to achieve results like this. We have the facilities and the wherewithal to do it. I don't think Donigan can achieve these results and he hasn't throughout his tenure.

I can only remember a couple of games that I went to when I wrote for the UNews that TT wasn't at.

[/quote

You are aware that most top ten programs don't finish anywhere near the top ten annually? They will on occasion, but it's not as if its the same teams every year.

By this I mean, take the past 10 years, only a small handful of teams have finished in the top ten close to annually. Being a top ten program overall means losing early in the NCAAA's some of the time.

The quantity of teams that move in and out of the top ten in any given year is many. SLU has been included in this group as well during the season in recent memory. This would also apply to end of year postIseason results, that the quantity of those teams is many and the teams change with frequency. SLU has not finished in this group as often in recent years.

I've heard some people compare soccer to basketball. It never should be. Soccer isn't going to be a few year situation. It's non-revenue and not comparable. I've heard others talk about 35 and 45 years ago. Well, a lot has changed not surprisingly in that time around the college soccer landscape. There are a lot more good teams. Parity is huge. 14 different conferences represented in the most recent RPI standings. Many strong programs have sprouted in the Midwest alone. SLU can still be a good, strong program. And, it has been during the regular season during the tenure of the current regime, with a lot of success vs elite competition and winning the league title every year but one.. And, the post-season results have been strong for the first half of the post-season years. Soccer isn't basketball. One mistake can cost you a game. It's a much more cruel sport.

There's no reason why SLU can't compete at the highest level, which includes scheduling strong non-conference, which it has done, and getting results in those games, which it has done most years, exiting early from the NCAA some years while making deeper runs every few years when it comes to post-season. That's what happens with the very best teams in college soccer. SLU hasn't had enough conference tourney success nor mixed in a deeper NCAA run in a few years beyond the 2nd round.