More about Cody Ellis

I met Bob Ramsey at a trivia night fundraiser. (He was the emcee.) I introduced myself and we discussed the Billikens. He brought up Cody Ellis's situation. I told him what I've heard, which appears to me more than he knew about (he said that the school keeps him in the dark because he has a radio show). But, when I mentioned my concern about how long Ellis can wait to report to school and still be able to play the first semester, Rammer said that his understanding is that the school can give him somewhere around up to four weeks. So, even if he doesn't report until mid September, I suppose, he may be okay. (Don't take that as gospel, just what I'm paraphrasing from the Voice of the Billikens.)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Ellis is coming to SLU to play B-Ball but the NCAA does have acedemic requirements. How in the heck can a kid miss 2 to 3 weeks of classes and still catch up in the class room? If he is not in very, very soon, I fear he will not be coming. Without Ellis this team is a really short in the front court both in size and numbers. Let's hope Cory Remekun is better than expected. I don't see a red-shirt for him anymore.

I know Ellis is coming to SLU to play B-Ball but the NCAA does have acedemic requirements. How in the heck can a kid miss 2 to 3 weeks of classes and still catch up in the class room? If he is not in very, very soon, I fear he will not be coming. Without Ellis this team is a really short in the front court both in size and numbers. Let's hope Cory Remekun is better than expected. I don't see a red-shirt for him anymore.

Missing the first 2-3 weeks of class ain't that bad. If he has a decent head on his shoulders, he should be able to make it up with no problem.

Missing the first 2-3 weeks of class ain't that bad. If he has a decent head on his shoulders, he should be able to make it up with no problem.

I hope he does't have to miss that much time. I also hope SLU isn't the type of school where you can miss the first 3 weeks of classes and make it up with no problem.

I hope he does't have to miss that much time. I also hope SLU isn't the type of school where you can miss the first 3 weeks of classes and make it up with no problem.

Depends on the classes. I'm guessing he's majoring in business, so it will be pretty easy for him to get caught up. First tests aren't until mid-September so as long as he's here before then I'm not worried.

Depends on the classes. I'm guessing he's majoring in business, so it will be pretty easy for him to get caught up. First tests aren't until mid-September so as long as he's here before then I'm not worried.

He's a freshman so unless he is pre-med it doesn't really matter what he is majoring as most of what you take that first semester is core curriculum including English, history, philsophy, religion, etc. I didn't take a single business class until 2nd semester.

As to the thought that SLU should have somehow known about this...give me a break. In past years it sounds like players in Cody's situation were cleared with no issues. To expect SLU to predict that this year the NCAA would get its head so far up its ass seems ridiculous. Sometimes things just don't go as planned and its nobodys fault (evne though really this is the NCAA's fault). Even if you could predict this issue would you not want to have recruited him? He's a big enough talent that I'd take the chance every time.

He's a freshman so unless he is pre-med it doesn't really matter what he is majoring as most of what you take that first semester is core curriculum including English, history, philsophy, religion, etc. I didn't take a single business class until 2nd semester.

As to the thought that SLU should have somehow known about this...give me a break. In past years it sounds like players in Cody's situation were cleared with no issues. To expect SLU to predict that this year the NCAA would get its head so far up its ass seems ridiculous. Sometimes things just don't go as planned and its nobodys fault (evne though really this is the NCAA's fault). Even if you could predict this issue would you not want to have recruited him? He's a big enough talent that I'd take the chance every time.

I couldn't agree more kshoe. He can get caught up. It will just be a few weeks of heck but he can do it.

Also, every recruit is a "risk" to an extent. Inner city kids, rural, international. They all come with different academic issues. This coaching staff knows what they are doing. It's just something a lot of staffs have to work their way through. In defense of the NCAA I'm sure these situations get tremendously complicated at times too.

I met Bob Ramsey at a trivia night fundraiser. (He was the emcee.) I introduced myself and we discussed the Billikens. He brought up Cody Ellis's situation. I told him what I've heard, which appears to me more than he knew about (he said that the school keeps him in the dark because he has a radio show). But, when I mentioned my concern about how long Ellis can wait to report to school and still be able to play the first semester, Rammer said that his understanding is that the school can give him somewhere around up to four weeks. So, even if he doesn't report until mid September, I suppose, he may be okay. (Don't take that as gospel, just what I'm paraphrasing from the Voice of the Billikens.)

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, the NCAA Clearinghouse does not like coach RM and his "perceived arrogance" and does not want to clear his most prized recruit?

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, the NCAA Clearinghouse does not like coach RM and his "perceived arrogance" and does not want to clear his most prized recruit?

Pretty big statement Ellis as the prized recruit , have you actually seen any of the other recruits play or Ellis to compare them with each other i think you might be suprised when all freshman setlle in and understand the RM way of playing the game. not saying Ellis is not a great pick up but College ball is a big step for all freshman especially international recruits , playing a very structured defense and offence as taught by coach RM will take time to adjust to, the days of being the focal point of the team these recruits played for are gone its all about the TEAM and team offences and defenses , I think that was one issue Cotto struggled with and found it hard to accept from being top scorer to being introduced into a complete team concept which i think hurt Tom and Kevin last season , Looking at the Roster put together by RM its not all about scorers but what he thinks will give him balance and the opportunity to change up and go either big or very quick and play up tempo ball

Only time will tell but i think SLU will have a very competitive in 2 seasons if there is not to many transfers as we all know coach RM can be very tough on the way he wants the game played and the boys need to remember the man gets results and good ones at that .

Some great reding on this board

Has any one seen the new recruits train or play how are they looking ??

Pretty big statement Ellis as the prized recruit , have you actually seen any of the other recruits play or Ellis to compare them with each other i think you might be suprised when all freshman setlle in and understand the RM way of playing the game. not saying Ellis is not a great pick up but College ball is a big step for all freshman especially international recruits , playing a very structured defense and offence as taught by coach RM will take time to adjust to, the days of being the focal point of the team these recruits played for are gone its all about the TEAM and team offences and defenses , I think that was one issue Cotto struggled with and found it hard to accept from being top scorer to being introduced into a complete team concept which i think hurt Tom and Kevin last season , Looking at the Roster put together by RM its not all about scorers but what he thinks will give him balance and the opportunity to change up and go either big or very quick and play up tempo ball

Only time will tell but i think SLU will have a very competitive in 2 seasons if there is not to many transfers as we all know coach RM can be very tough on the way he wants the game played and the boys need to remember the man gets results and good ones at that .

first practices for all of the NCAA div 1 basketball teams start at the same time usually about Halloween or the end of October with the exception

that some schools schedule pre season tournaments and they seem to get exemptions or start earlier. I know that is vague but I believe we are

six weeks away from coaches having real practises. Anyone with a real date can update and amend this.

I say most prized recruit only because of CE's size, experience, and his ability to play inside and outside. The Billikens need another big man on this year's team. There will be many disappointed SLU fans if CE does not play this year. He may not be the best of the freshmen but he has the one thing we lack and that is size.

first practices for all of the NCAA div 1 basketball teams start at the same time usually about Halloween or the end of October with the exception

that some schools schedule pre season tournaments and they seem to get exemptions or start earlier. I know that is vague but I believe we are

six weeks away from coaches having real practises. Anyone with a real date can update and amend this.

Usually mid-October. I believe this year it is the 16th, but I could be mistaken.

This team is in a world of hurt without Ellis.

I don't know what CE other options might be and obviously we were hoping to get he and CS sharp from summer play; however, if he still comes that

may put a load on Willie and Conklin. You really can't say BT had all that many quality minutes although now more than ever it certainly looks like his

was a pre-emptory shot when he could have waited to see how his minutes worked out. If CE is doubtful for this season I see us being the same team

as last year by Christmas; I don't see how our OOC schedule can have us bring too many surprises but I did buy tickets and I've learned in college basketball if a team gets hot they can be wicked good on any given night.

I don't know what CE other options might be and obviously we were hoping to get he and CS sharp from summer play; however, if he still comes that

may put a load on Willie and Conklin. You really can't say BT had all that many quality minutes although now more than ever it certainly looks like his

was a pre-emptory shot when he could have waited to see how his minutes worked out. If CE is doubtful for this season I see us being the same team

as last year by Christmas; I don't see how our OOC schedule can have us bring too many surprises but I did buy tickets and I've learned in college basketball if a team gets hot they can be wicked good on any given night.

I'm beginning to think we're about to be "Billikened" on CE unless he plops himself down in a classroom pretty damn fast. Time to start using that old sign off again, "It ain't easy being a Billiken fan!"

I'm beginning to think we're about to be "Billikened" on CE unless he plops himself down in a classroom pretty damn fast. Time to start using that old sign off again, "It ain't easy being a Billiken fan!"

you can say that again. you really can't get excited about anything. its damn hard being a billiken fan. you can never get too excited about recruits these days. oh well.

Yes, lots of folks on here have seen the new guys play. I have not seen anything yet that would lead me to believe that CE is not -- far and away, in fact -- the prize recruit. That said, I have only seen snippets of CE play over the internet -- never in person.

I must say, personally-- Ellis is for me the big recruit, the one I expect to come in and make immediate noise. In particular, we need someone to help score. Beyond Ellis, I am wondering where that additional scoring will come from. All the new guys I've seen will need time, fo' sho'. FWIW. I would see not having CE as a major hit for the year. If he shows up, he should easily be getting 20 or even 30 minutes a game. I'm having trouble seeing many points ( or even many minutes) from the other freshmen. . . . . Help me out on this, those of you who have been watching.

Sorry to say this, but technically this Friday, the 4th, is the final day of late registration. I surmise that other arrangements can be made for special situations. i,e, athletes being held up like Ellis. But as a teacher -- well, the transition to university is a tough one and I would like to see any new kid get started PRONTO!

ps -- fall practice begins usually Oct. 15 (midnight madness) or 16, but scrimmages are ongoing and individual practices with coaches working with each player have already started.

pppsss -- I am very blown away that we still cannot break into the top 144, or even be in the top ten in the A 10. wow, we still are running up hill. Without Ellis this year -- double wow. wow squared.

pss -- I am very blown away that we still cannot break into the top 144, or even be in the top ten in the A 10. wow, we still are running up hill. Without Ellis this year -- double wow. wow squared.

Doc (and I say this with love), surely, as a university professor, one who teaches English (if I'm not mistaken), you know that it's p.p.s. We write post-postscripts, not postscript-scripts, right?

Otherwise, I enjoyed your post. However, if Ellis is as good as you and most of us hope, then you and your colleagues will be [ahem] asked [/ahem] to accept him, even after the official deadline.

I do agree not having Ellis here will hurt , but if my memory serves me correctly a lot of this banter was going on about the freshman last season , who was going to step up Mitchell to struggle for minutes , Willy to skinny needs to redshirt BC to struggle and various other statements ,but as the season went on Billiken stars started to emerge and i suspect the same thing will happen this season ,I think BC will have a break out season might not have a outside shot but he is stronger and more athletic than Ellis from the footage i have seen, Willie will do even better and Kwain will emerge as the star with a great supporting cast around him ,this teams main issue will be their physical strength to take a pouding every game against older and more experienced players , Ellis is a must but it would not be the end of the world for this team , players like Femi, Cassity can all shoot the ball well and are tough the freshman will need to step up when required and when they understand the coaches ways we will see some good contributions from most of them either defensively or offensively.

Just my theory