Keys To The Porsche

AJ seems to think we all miss Romar and wish he were still here, not true at all AJ...We gave him the keys to the Porsche, he drove it for 4 years, did VERY little maintenance to it, and he gave the keys back. He said thanks but no thanks, I have another car waiting in the wings.

AJ also stated that Romar was very supportive of his coaches and players...Ohhhhhhhhhhhh? What happened the day he gave the keys back? Josh Fisher followed the man to 2 different schools and he still only played for him for 2 years.

Give it up AJ, we don't miss the guy...We are MUCH better off with the coach we have now!!!

.... give it a rest and give me a break. He won some games here as well ..... Kansas, C-WHO in Memphis, Cincy, some others. I'm happy for him but one game does not a career make.

I see Romar as a West Coast kind of guy ... and I hope he's happy with that. He should be ... west coast, alma mater, PAC 10 and all that jazz.

Brad, on the other hand, seems rather content as a MidWest kind of guy. Loras. Wisconsin. Wisconsin - Stevens Point. St. Louis. I for one am happy with that choice.

Romar seemed like he was here for the time being. Brad seems committed to a longer term. Don't know why I feel that way .. I just do.

I don't know why anyone has to knock Romar. I like him alot ... but I am glad we have UB and wouldn't trade back.

I think Romar did his best ... his recruiting decisions had not panned out yet ... but with Hollins who knows. I think the real thing is that Romar was just not the right guy for SLU. I think he thought he was and could be, but he is a west coast guy and is where he belongs. I think he was honest, sincere and truly wanted to build a winner at SLU. When the chance came for him to go to Washington he probably knew what we are finding out. The best man for the job at SLU was UB.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

This proves how ignorant I am about cars. I had no idea until this thread how reliable Porsche cars are (I looked it up after you used the metaphor because I was thinking I wanted SLU to be more reliable and less expensive to fix). So, I too want a program as reliable as Porsche but I also want one that is inexpensive to fix.

P. S., I think Romar was good coach and nice guy who did a lot of things right (I was not a fan of him using the big men in the high post at all). The thing I find bizarre is the fickleness of sports fans in general. Many of Romar's biggest supporters while here became his biggest critics when gone. I understand "rooting for the laundry" but I cannot agree with "whining over ghosts".

He could have done a little better with recruiting but he did an OK job (with a few obvious busts). As has been rehashed a million times he rolled the dice on a few bigger recruits and lost without a good fallback. Soderberg has done a lot better job balancing the risk/reward of going after quality in a realistic way.

I think we have a good one with UB and I am glad he is the HC but I do not think Romer was all that bad. With some time he maybe would hit on a Hughes level recruit. Also, remember Romer got a sub 500 team from Spoon and was able to deliver a CUSA championship. Since I followed SLU since the late 60's we have been able to that.

I do think Romer's best contribution was the successful re-recruiting of Perry and Jeffers. Both all-CUSA performers. I recall on one of Romer's radio shows, Jeffers mentioned when he heard Spoon was leaving he was definitely considering other options.