Where Are The Romar Haters Now?

aj, no way does Coach Soderberg suggest to Seyfert that he leave. Just think about it. Soderberg was hired on April 12, 2002. He loses Pulley and Edwin to grades. He learns that two post-playing incoming recruits won't be attending SLU: Nick Kern, a November signee, fails to get academically eligible and Ryan Hollins, also a November signee, decides not to come after Romar leaves. The last thing Soderberg is going to do is run-off another post-player (John Seyfert) that late in the recruiting year. No way!

We may not have beaten cincy with martin in that game (and without Marque Perry) but we were winning when he went down late in the first half...so they weren't exactly repeating their performance of a week earlier at the Shoe

I (vaguely) recall Coach Soderberg saying something along those lines regarding John Seyfert. You say, "Soderberg was hired on April 12, 2002." Well, that's when he was hired as the head coach, but he'd been here as an assistant coach for nearly a year prior to that. The assessment of Seyfert by Brad that aj_arete is speaking of was made when Brad was an assistant.

I was not referring to Coach Soderberg's initial Nov-Dec evaluation of Seyfert. It is my opinion that Soderberg would not be running off a post-player (as suggested by AJ) in April and May of 2002, after losing his senior class, and then Pulley and Edwin to grades, and then the loss of Romar's recruits, Kern and Hollins. Soderberg was looking for warm bodies and didn't have much time to find them.

I too remember Brad speaking at a Billiken club meeting very frankly about Seyfert and how he initially thought he might not make it in CUSA but that he was very impressed with his development in the 2nd half of the season and how he was looking forward to him the next year. Why in the world would he say something like that if he planned to run him off a month later? That is crazy. It is also crazy to run somebody off when his scholarship would go unused because if the 5/8 rule. As tsuegnekillib pointed out after two guys flunk out and two recruits back out that isn't exactly the right time to run off another guy. Seyfert left on his own. Plain and simple.

AJ said "He had enough talent to finish with a conference record that Brad has yet to surpass."

Romar finished 8-8, 8-8 and 9-7 in conference. Brad has finished 9-7 and 9-7. While you did not lie AJ I would say your words certainly meant to mislead. Try it somewhere else.

His team overachieved because he did not recruit well - if he had recruited better, we would not be overachieving under Brad. The only reason we won the CUSA tourney that year was because the big Cincy center broke his leg in the game otherwise we never get out of the first round. Romar had very little success his first year at WU and the team struggeled early this year. He got lucky with a couple of local Seattle recruits who early on said they wanted to go to WU - Romar had nothing to do with them attending. The bottom line is he was not a good fit for SLU - if he does well at WU more power to him.

UW also plays in a very weak PAC 10 this year. One could make an argument that only one team really deserves a Big Dance invite this year and that may yet happen. On the other hand, Coach Soderberg and the Billikens had a respectable 9-7 conference record in the 5th best conference in the country. I'll take our current HC over the snake oil salesman any day of the week. Mr. AJ is jsut trying to stir it up...nice try AJ, but as usual you have a lot of your fact kind of mixed up.

no one will ever know how things would have turned out here had romar stayed. what we do know is that he never brought in any talent at all. his big gem ryan hollins hasn't amounted to much at UCLA. kern has never played anywhere. jason edwin flunked out and isn't doing much at kent st. the list goes on and on with pulley, seyfert, varner, mclain, etc. about the only decent guys he brought in were kenny brown, chris sloan and josh fisher.

among the players he overlooked are phillip gilbert who has averaged nearly 20 points per game at bradley for the past two seasons, darren brooks, stetson hairston, etc. gilbert is the one who irks me the most. i remember darius miles practically begging romar to give his buddy a scholarship. he wouldn't but he gave one to jason edwin and floyd mclain. wow, good call lorenzo. i realize that hindsight is 20-20 but it would have been nice to have a scorer like gilbert or brooks in the backcourt for the past few years.

i never saw mcclain in high school, but i did see edwin a couple of times and i saw gilbert a lot. while gilbert was a very good player, no way i would have taken gilbert ahead of edwin based on their respective high school showings. the problem with mcclain was he was injured for three seasons. we never saw the mcclain that was one of the best players in the state of texas. but you are correct on one thing. hindsight is 20/20 and we should have taken gilbert had we known then what we know now. if only we had some sort of time machine. where's mcfly when we need him?

granted, i never saw edwin in high school. but i saw gilbert play and was pretty impressed. i never understood why he wasn't getting a lot of looks, especially with the exposure east st. louis was getting at the time. he was a great shooter. although you could be right that edwin was better at the time, i have a hard time swallowing the floyd mclain thing, especially when it seemed like our chances would have been better in the miles sweepstakes had we taken his buddy. do you know anything about us not recruiting darren brooks or stetson hairston?

on the other hand, after watching ahearn play 3 or 4 times this year, i'm convinced he wouldn't have stepped on the floor as a billiken. he can shoot the three and the fts but he plays absolutely no defense, is slow and can't handle the ball. the announcers were commenting during the siu game the other night on the fact that the coaches at sms know they are gambling with the defense every time they put him in the game. i'd take drejaj and clarke without a doubt over blake.

Regarding Ahearn...I don't know what his number is, but I watched the MVC championship game the other night and I don't recall the announcers ever really mentioning his name. Now I remember him getting in the game very late when someone on SMS fouled out. I meant to look at the box score to see how many minutes he played and I forgot. I agree with Fish, Reggie, and AD Ahearn would have done a lot of sitting on SLU's bench. He chose the right school for his talent.

i dont know the thinking on brooks or hairston by romar. i watched hairston a lot in high school, and while i thought he would be an ok player, at the time, i didnt think he would even be as successful as he has been at siu. i remember talking to a friend telling him i thought he should have went to mckendree and felt he had made a mistake not going there. if i remember correctly he went off to a prep school for a year though. and he has come back to siu and far exceeded what i thought he would be.

i never saw brooks play in high school.

back to the gilbert thing, i thought gilbert was a good shooter, but we never got to see him do much at e st louis. or at least he wasnt noticed much. i even went to a couple of games with the full intention of trying to concentrate on gilbert playing and couldnt. miles was just so amazing, you couldnt watch much else. i was at collinsville one night when darius had double figures in blocks, steals, assists, rebounds, and of course points. i dont know if i ever saw a more incredible raw talent play in my life. maybe that was romar and other coaches problem as well. they never saw gilbert play!

ahearn playing at the end was the reason that sms lost imo. the guy fouled out who was much more athletic and was doing a good job on his man. after he fouled out, that guy scored the next two times down the floor as ahearn was left in the dust.

blake is an amazing shooter. but so was drew diener.

why take a guy that is so one dimensional if you can sign a very good athlete that obviously has the offensive skills right now to create opportunities? clarke was the better pick. after his fine showing against houston i am confident darren will eventually do just fine.

judging by many of brad's recruits thus far, he wants that agressive defense first attitude if he can find it. thus it must be a major factor in his decisions. even though clarke apparently doesnt play as hard as brad apparently wants yet, the appearance vs houston was a better defensive effort than i have yet to see from ahearn.

I agree. Not that I think Brad is a saint and wouldn't suggest to a player that he may be happier somewhere else, but because it just wouldn't make sense to lose John at that point. We needed him desperately last year with nobody able to bang down low except for Brown. To be honest, from what I remember of John, I thought he could have developed into a nice player for us.