Progress

slu72

Lest we forget in this year's recruiting class we have Kansas' Mr. Basketball, a first team all stater from the hot bed of HS hoops, Indiana, two starter's from a major nation's international Junior team, a third team all stater from Ohio, and a promising 6'8" kid from TX. Compare this to UB's last two recruiting classes ....

Hello .... I'm waiting.

Lest we forget in this year's recruiting class we have Kansas' Mr. Basketball, a first team all stater from the hot bed of HS hoops, Indiana, two starter's from a major nation's international Junior team, a third team all stater from Ohio, and a promising 6'8" kid from TX. Compare this to UB's last two recruiting classes ....

Hello .... I'm waiting.

in a separate post you make the statement that soderberg was a horrible recruiter. now in this post, you want us to compare rickma recruiting to soderberg. i dont get it. that would be like comparing albert pujols to mike laga. why dont you compare albert to lou gehrig instead?

soderberg is gone. no one continues to say soderberg was better at anything recruitingwise close to rickma so why keep going back to it? are you content with beating mike laga's i mean soderberg's standard's? i personally have a vision of a billiken program that is much better than what we were for soderberg, romar, spoon, grawer etc.

you all need to just let soderberg be an naia coach and worry about the billikens.

in a separate post you make the statement that soderberg was a horrible recruiter. now in this post, you want us to compare rickma recruiting to soderberg. i dont get it. that would be like comparing albert pujols to mike laga. why dont you compare albert to lou gehrig instead?

soderberg is gone. no one continues to say soderberg was better at anything recruitingwise close to rickma so why keep going back to it? are you content with beating mike laga's i mean soderberg's standard's? i personally have a vision of a billiken program that is much better than what we were for soderberg, romar, spoon, grawer etc.

you all need to just let soderberg be an naia coach and worry about the billikens.

Brad was the last coach. The comparisons are inevitable. How's this, "Rick has recruited the best back to back classes since I've been following the Billikens."

PS in your example we traded Albert Pujols for Mike Laga right at the trading deadline. It was a budget buster but still a winner, despite the fact that Laga was such a great guy. In your example Laga is now playing in the Pacific Coast League and boy do we look smart for that trade......

Brad was the last coach. The comparisons are inevitable. How's this, "Rick has recruited the best back to back classes since I've been following the Billikens."

PS in your example we traded Albert Pujols for Mike Laga right at the trading deadline. It was a budget buster but still a winner, despite the fact that Laga was such a great guy. In your example Laga is now playing in the Pacific Coast League and boy do we look smart for that trade......

All I want to know is when is Albert Pujols going to hit a ball out of Busch Stadium? Then we can compare.

I have heard and read a lot about Brad this week and am very impressed with him right now. He sounds like someone who took the time away to reflect and improve as a person. He is clearly excited to get back to the area and coach again. It seems like a great role for him. I hope he has great success there.

I also think it is perfectly reasonable to continue to compare the current state of the SLU program with the state of the program under every recent modern coach, Brad included. Majerus has enormous advantages in terms of the facilities, budget, etc. He also faces some challenges that Spoon, Romar, and Brad didn't face with an inferior conference and TV situation and a relative lack of good talent in the local area. Obviously we aren't comparing apples to apples. I just hope Majerus gets this thing rolling for a few years, and then Moser or some other successor can continue the momentum.

We have seen some progress in recruiting but it will take a couple of years to see if there is any progress by the program. Quinn Snyder had some top 15 classes, no one would say that MU progressed under him. Last year, SIU had the worst season in recent memory and that was with the "greatest" recruiting class in history. Basing any judgement off of recruiting is grasping at best, you have to see results.

Recruiting definitely makes the cup seem half full but we have still seen two 9th place finishes in the A-10 while BS gave us a 7th and a 3rd. It should get better but remember these are 17 year old kids we are counting on. For every Mitchell and Reed there could very easily be a Cotto, no one knows yet?

We have seen some progress in recruiting but it will take a couple of years to see if there is any progress by the program. Quinn Snyder had some top 15 classes, no one would say that MU progressed under him. Last year, SIU had the worst season in recent memory and that was with the "greatest" recruiting class in history. Basing any judgement off of recruiting is grasping at best, you have to see results.

Recruiting definitely makes the cup seem half full but we have still seen two 9th place finishes in the A-10 while BS gave us a 7th and a 3rd. It should get better but remember these are 17 year old kids we are counting on. For every Mitchell and Reed there could very easily be a Cotto, no one knows yet?

Leave it to an SIUC fan to throw water on our excitement. :rolleyes: But then to comare RM/SLU to Quinn Snyder and Mizzou -- now those are fighting words. <_<

Seriously, good points, but the difference is that SLU will finally have depth so that if some guys leave or turn out to be a bust, we will have depth to overcome it. In the past, we have not had that ability.

Leave it to an SIUC fan to throw water on our excitement. :rolleyes: But then to comare RM/SLU to Quinn Snyder and Mizzou -- now those are fighting words. <_<

Seriously, good points, but the difference is that SLU will finally have depth so that if some guys leave or turn out to be a bust, we will have depth to overcome it. In the past, we have not had that ability.

I think SLU will be much better. I just think it will be in the 2010-11 season. No judgement can truly be made until then anyways because it will be all RM's players.

We have seen some progress in recruiting but it will take a couple of years to see if there is any progress by the program. Quinn Snyder had some top 15 classes, no one would say that MU progressed under him.

Snyder is a terrible comparison because he didn't have a system that he was recruiting against. Snyder just took the highest ranked talent he could land regardless of the kids' background, fit, or team needs. This led to some flashy recruiting rankings, but a lot of bad chemistry and destructive issues.

Majerus's strategy is more along the lines of Mike Anderson. Even though Majerus and Anderson run very different systems, they both know and stay true to their systems when scouting and recruiting. Neither will go after highly-ranked kids if they won't fit their respective systems. Both coaches also avoid knuckle-heads.

More importantly, RM can actually coach whereas QS could not.

It's all RM's players now. Young players, but all RM's

True but I think it is little much to have great expectations for a team full of frosh and sophs. When they are sophs and junior they better be good or people will wonder where 4 million dollars went.

True but I think it is little much to have great expectations for a team full of frosh and sophs. When they are sophs and junior they better be good or people will wonder where 4 million dollars went.

Bet many Illinois residents are wondering where their $750,000 per year (3/4 million) will be going. Alot of money being paid to a guy who does not appear to be anything close to Weber and Painter. RM is a proven coach having won everywhere he's been. In contrast, Lowery is not a proven coach. Instead, Lowery inherited a fine program with good talent and did well with it at first. I'll leave it you to chronicle all of his "misses" on recruiting but eventually, those "misses" do show up. We know all about that here at SLU.

18-15 with a nucleus of experienced Senior talent and then a losing season last year -- all while playing in Valley which has had 2 recent down years. Do you really think Lowery can get back to '04/'05 or the '06/'07 years? I think this was definitely a down year but I see "bad" years more like '07/'08 and "good" years more like '05/'06. Lowery appears to play the most defensive and least creative of his predecessors (Painter and Weber) and just don't see the talent going to SIUC like it had. Still, SIUC is a tough venue and road wins and I don't see anyone else dominating the Valley.

Not a good trend for SIUC:

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason

Southern Illinois (Missouri Valley Conference) (2004–present)

2004–2005 Southern Illinois 27-8 15–3 1st NCAA Second Round

2005–2006 Southern Illinois 22-11 12-6 T-2nd NCAA First Round

2006–2007 Southern Illinois 29-7 15-3 1st NCAA Sweet 16

2007–2008 Southern Illinois 18-15 11-7 3rd NIT Second Round

2008–2009 Southern Illinois 13-17 8-10 8th

Southern Illinois: 109-58 (.652) 61-29 (.677)

Total: 109-58 (.652)

Bet many Illinois residents are wondering where their $750,000 per year (3/4 million) will be going. Alot of money being paid to a guy who does not appear to be anything close to Weber and Painter. RM is a proven coach having won everywhere he's been. In contrast, Lowery is not a proven coach. Instead, Lowery inherited a fine program with good talent and did well with it at first. I'll leave it you to chronicle all of his "misses" on recruiting but eventually, those "misses" do show up. We know all about that here at SLU.

18-15 with a nucleus of experienced Senior talent and then a losing season last year -- all while playing in Valley which has had 2 recent down years. Do you really think Lowery can get back to '04/'05 or the '06/'07 years? I think this was definitely a down year but I see "bad" years more like '07/'08 and "good" years more like '05/'06. Lowery appears to play the most defensive and least creative of his predecessors (Painter and Weber) and just don't see the talent going to SIUC like it had. Still, SIUC is a tough venue and road wins and I don't see anyone else dominating the Valley.

Not a good trend for SIUC:

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason

Southern Illinois (Missouri Valley Conference) (2004–present)

2004–2005 Southern Illinois 27-8 15–3 1st NCAA Second Round

2005–2006 Southern Illinois 22-11 12-6 T-2nd NCAA First Round

2006–2007 Southern Illinois 29-7 15-3 1st NCAA Sweet 16

2007–2008 Southern Illinois 18-15 11-7 3rd NIT Second Round

2008–2009 Southern Illinois 13-17 8-10 8th

Southern Illinois: 109-58 (.652) 61-29 (.677)

Total: 109-58 (.652)

This is the year for CL. Just like 2010-11 for RM. If there isn't a noticeable improvement in this years team from last years team I think he is clearly on the hot seat. With the addition of Freeman from Iowa and the maturing of his "vaunted" recruiting class to sophomores I hold out some hope that this will happen but it is getting smaller.